LDS culture problem

Sweety D

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Fether said:

You can't beat Vort. Many of us have tried to reason with him and all have failed. He is just to reasonable.

He's a legit great guy. I admire him big time. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, Sweety D said:

I've yet to respond to you because it's seems you are looking for an argument, maybe I'm wrong. Just feels this way. I thought it was clear that this was a tongue n' cheek comment. Though, I do think it's true "that no one will be left out of the Celestial Kingdom because they had a chocolate bar (caffeine), or drank Coke." .. you are correct, I cannot assure you of this. 

Let's all take a deep breath and smile. 

No, this is just @Vort.  He's a straight-shooter, no-nonesense kinda guy.  I used to quake in my boots when I find myself on the other side of the fence from him.  He's mellowed out A WHOLE LOT (almost non-Vorty, really).  I love Vort.  He doesn't mince words and sometimes it hurts, but he always makes a whole lot of sense.  If you want to get him to lighten up some say something really pedantic... especially one to do with wordsmithing... and even more especially something to do with pedantic mathematical wordsmithing... like that story about the Native American and his 3 wives where "the sons of the squaw of the 2 hides are equal to the squaw of the hippopotamus"... or some such.  :)

6 minutes ago, Sweety D said:

But that brings up another good point, I have heard of NiN. But until you said that I knew nothing about the name of the band and that it represented the murder of the Savior. That's another reason it's so tough to decide what's ok and what not in those situations. (I'm not old, quite young for my situation, I just don't follow music much).

They are not a very nice band, and by no means do I think my bishop was wrong to say something about it.

57 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

1963 :: ahem ::

I think your dyslexia kicked in gramps. We all know it's 1936. 

Take your dementia medication or I'm calling Mrs. @Vort and we'll talk about that rest home. 

I know you miss @Palerider very much, but c'mon man... you can't pretend he's Vort!  If you really need the aged wisdom of Pale, you can always call on @pam.

1 hour ago, Sweety D said:

I just think we have turned this into "who can debate the best" not, a productive Gospel discussion. Disagreements are fine but let's be reasonable. 

What, exactly, constitutes a "production" discussion, and what, exactly, in your mind makes a response "reasonable"?

As far as I'm concerned, the only product worth any merit is the the truth and light of God, and the only reasonable response is one that seeks to find such.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

This is touchy for any bishop, but...Nine Inch Nails? The very name of the band is a mocking reference to the murder of the Savior. Even given that few teenage boys are noted for their judgment of propriety, I think that a bishop has to say something about such a t-shirt.

I decided to do a bit of research as I am not familiar with the music of the Nine Inch Nails.  Whether true, or he was lying, I discovered an interview with the bands creator, pertaining to the name:

L: Where did the name Nine Inch Nails come from?

T: I don't know if you've ever tried to think of band names, but usually you think you have a great one and you look at it the next day and it's stupid. I had about 200 of those. Nine Inch Nails lasted the two week test, looked great in print, and could be abbreviated easily. It really doesn't have any literal meaning. It seemed kind of frightening. [In his best he-man voice] Tough and manly! It's a curse trying to come up with band names.

(Talking About Nothing with Trent Reznor)

While it could certainly be seen as an insensitive reference, if we take his word for it, he was not intentionally referencing the Crucifixion of Christ. Here is another list of theories about the origin of the band's name that I found.  Regardless of the background, I would also discourage youth from wearing shirts like that at Church events.

55 minutes ago, zil said:

That.  I hear these complaints all the time and yet I have never experienced nor witnessed Sister A telling Brother B he's sinning if he watches R-rated movies / drinks caffeine.  Nor have I witnessed Brother B telling Sister A that bikini she wore on Saturday was sinful.

Never. Not once.

So where are all these people?

What I have heard are talks and lessons repeating counsel from prophets and apostles, supported by scripture, admonishing the saints to refrain from immodesty, harmful substances, and forms of entertainment which do not reflect church standards.  Now if someone takes such talks and lessons as a personal affront and uses them as an excuse to leave the Church, well, they're choosing to turn their backs on the counsel of God - they're not leaving because someone has exercised unrighteous judgement against them, they're leaving because they don't want to be told their pet habit / entertainment / attire is against the counsel given to us by prophets of God.  And if that's a valid reason to stop giving talks admonishing better choices, then we should stop giving talks at all, and we can all just stay home and watch sports on the sabbath.

They're in California apparently...  I'm not surprised.  :D

7 minutes ago, Sweety D said:

Discussion is always better than argument. Argument aims to find out who is right. Discussion aims to find out what is right.

Well that's a semantic argument if I've ever heard one.

An inaccurate one. But a semantic one nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, person0 said:

I decided to do a bit of research as I am not familiar with the music of the Nine Inch Nails.  Whether true, or he was lying, I discovered an interview with the bands creator, pertaining to the name:

While it could certainly be seen as an insensitive reference, if we take his word for it, he was not intentionally referencing the Crucifixion of Christ. Here is another list of theories about the origin of the band's name that I found.  Regardless of the background, I would also discourage youth from wearing shirts like that at Church events.

Regardless, I would not recommend that anyone listen to NIN, and I would probably have a fit if I found out my daughter was doing so.

You know how they say as you get older you get wiser?  (especially after you go on a mission?)  Well, that is what happened in my case.

Oh, the things I put my old bishop through!  

Edited by DoctorLemon

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:
9 minutes ago, Sweety D said:

Discussion is always better than argument. Argument aims to find out who is right. Discussion aims to find out what is right.

Well that's a semantic argument if I've ever heard one.

An inaccurate one. But a semantic one nonetheless.

In other words: "You're wrong!"

:)

3 minutes ago, person0 said:

Regardless of the background, I would also discourage youth from wearing shirts like that at Church events.

What about ties?

IMG_2584.PNG

Edited by Fether

6 minutes ago, person0 said:

Probably just my middle-aged version of the middle-aged guy of my youth talking about "Knights In Satan's Service" and "Rulers Under Satan's Hand".

Meanwhile, in my neck of the woods, a robust discussion on the latest episode of Game of Thrones was embarked on at the church foyer.  Yes, somebody says... that's a bad show and you shouldn't be watching it.  The discussion settled to a whisper.   Life went on and we're still a great ward.  Yes, our previous bishop left the church, the first counselor to the bishop after him left the church, the previous young women's president left the church... but, meh.  Still a great and thriving ward.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

In other words: "You're wrong!"

:)

Very much so. Because, of course, what defines "who" is wrong is based on "what" is being said by "who" is saying it, so if you say "what" is wrong and someone else believes said "what" is right, then it defaults to the person, one or the other, being wrong, whether one says so or not. And, may I add... obviously.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Yes, our previous bishop left the church, the first counselor to the bishop after him left the church, the previous young women's president left the church...

Something in the Florida water?

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

Probably just my middle-aged version of the middle-aged guy of my youth talking about "Knights In Satan's Service" and "Rulers Under Satan's Hand".

And both bands have stated 10,000,000+ times that their names do not mean what people think they do. 

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

Very much so. Because, of course, what defines "who" is wrong is based on "what" is being said by "who" is saying it, so if you say "what" is wrong and someone else believes said "what" is right, then it defaults to the person, one or the other, being wrong, whether one says so or not. And, may I add... obviously.

See @Sweety D... this is how you discuss things with @Vort:D

Just now, Fether said:

What about ties?

Part of the reason I am not expecting to be made a bishop any time soon is that aside from being way too 'lazy' (for lack of a better word) for that calling, I would also be a huge stickler for my 'rules'.  I would probably have a stash of ties and would politely ask the young men change their tie if they wore something I decided was inappropriate.  I would personally not allow a young man to pass the sacrament unless he were wearing a white shirt.  And various other rules, many of which can be found in one of @Vort's favorite talks about the unwritten order of things (I really like the talk as well).

Just now, Vort said:

Something in the Florida water?

Well, the previous bishop's daughter wanted to be Pinocchio and be a real boy.  And he's all for it.  I love their family.  I don't agree with them but I don't have to to love them.

Just now, anatess2 said:

Well, the previous bishop's daughter wanted to be Pinocchio and be a real boy.  And he's all for it.  I love their family.  I don't agree with them but I don't have to to love them.

I think Gepetto left off a key part of the carving...

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • pam locked this topic