Same sex marriage support

omegaseamaster75

I've thought long and hard regarding my opinion on this. I suppose I don't oppose same-sex marriage in the vein that I've decided government-involved marriage is silly.

"Backroads, do you support the legalization of same-sex marriage?"

"Why does the government care so much about my or anyone else's marriage?"

I'm not exactly out championing it and waving signs, but I guess I don't care. Does that me a supporter? Does it make me a supporter unto apostasy?

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Backroads said:

Is this an intervention?

Um, no that one was for your other substance abuse issues I think. Remember? @zil, are you writing these things down? We've had so many interventions for @Backroads that someone really needs to keep records. 

Just now, MormonGator said:

Um, no that one was for your other substance abuse issues I think. Remember? @zil, are you writing these things down? We've had so many interventions for @Backroads that someone really needs to keep records. 

Please don't tell my administration. We had ethics review today and it was very awkward.

7 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Is it possible to support same sex marriage and hold a current temple recommend?

Yes; however, with caution that they do not publicly seek to shame the Church or to force the Church to change doctrine so that we are accepted by the world.

This question is similar to other questions that are constantly asked:

1) Is it possible to be a Democrat and hold a current temple recommend?
2) Is it possible to support abortion and hold a current temple recommend?
3) Is it possible to support Neo-Nazism and hold a current temple recommend?
4) Is it possible to support Black Panthers (opposite of Neo-Nazism) and hold a temple recommend?
5) Is it possible to not support the Prophet on all doctrine and policies and hold a current temple recommend?
6) Is it possible to support transgender operations and hold a current temple recommend?
7) Is it possible to support ordain women movement and hold a current temple recommend?

We are able to place many aspects here, and the answer is still yes. God will not force the human mind, and will allow the human mind to come unto him line-upon-line, precept-upon-precept until they become one in heart and mind; although, should they turn against the Church, seek to publicly shame the Church, try to force the Church into a decision they want (Satan philosophy), then no.

10 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I'm not exactly out championing it and waving signs, but I guess I don't care. Does that me a supporter? Does it make me a supporter unto apostasy?

Sadly it can, but not in the sense immediately. How does the adversary work against the elect? By small and simple means towards apostasy. All apostates begin to support or hold beliefs (and preach them loudly often) that are contrary to truth. If the adversary is able to get the elect to support sin/error, even the smallest portion, he can then continue to tempt by small and simple means.

I don't think Kate Kelly would have ever thought she would be in the position she is now for supporting ordain women movement. So in all this, we should be very cautious in what we support, because, like the Nephites, we could fall quickly and they didn't get where they were in one day, but in a short amount of time.

P.S. I am not saying you are in apostasy, so that is clear -- hopefully. :D

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

No, but your three pack a day habit of Camels and constant swearing is a serious problem to all of us @Backroads. There, I said it. 

I can't believe Gator actually said this! Sigh, my respect for your tolerance has taken a nose dive. :) 

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

perhaps that idea of Bishop Gator is not really all that far off?

Personally I don't support Same Sex Marriage so this hasn't been a big issue for me. However, I believe there is a world of difference between a personal belief and actively teaching people that the church is wrong (apostasy). Unless the church says otherwise, I wouldn't see any reason why someone who supports Same Sex Marriage on a personal level shouldn't have a temple recommend. I think Elder Christofferson was pretty clear.

Geez way to make me think this early in the morning☺

23 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

Personally I don't support Same Sex Marriage so this hasn't been a big issue for me. However, I believe there is a world of difference between a personal belief and actively teaching people that the church is wrong (apostasy). Unless the church says otherwise, I wouldn't see any reason why someone who supports Same Sex Marriage on a personal level shouldn't have a temple recommend. I think Elder Christofferson was pretty clear.

Geez way to make me think this early in the morning☺

Thus far it seems like everyone is on the same page, some just call it "support" and some don't.  The general theme seems to be "we believe same sex marriage is wrong, but we believe the State's involvement in ANY marriage is wrong, therefore we don't support the State's attempt to regulate any marriage, to include same sex."

So nobody seems to actively support it, they just think everyone should mind their own business and keep the government out of it.

Edited by Grunt

6 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

Perhaps the real question should be- Does God support same sex marriage? Once again, a case of one hand on the wall of the temple and the other on the world.

Not sure I agree with you saying what the real question should be. I perceive that everyone on this thread pretty much understands what our Heavenly Father wants His children to to do, and what to avoid? But that isn't the question of the OP, nor should it be because they are two different topics. I understand however that you see it differently. :)

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not sure I agree with you saying what the real question should be. I perceive that everyone on this thread pretty much understands what our Heavenly Father wants His children to to do, and what to avoid? But that isn't the question of the OP, nor should it be because they are two different topics. I understand however that you see it differently. :)

When we understand Gods plan we understand that our worthiness for the temple coincides with every honest and pure and virtuous principle of the marriage between man and woman. We covenant in the temple to acknowledge and live by ( that includes supporting) that foundational principle of sexual relationships are only between man and woman legally and lawfully wedded. That is our covenant, its what we support. Same sex marriage is diametrically opposed to this covenant. Supporting same sex marriage while being an endowed member is breaking that covenant.

Edited by Rob Osborn

8 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Libertarian-ism is one step removed from anarchy, imho. If the government doesn't exist to control, at some level, the morality of it's people, then what good is government?

But then, Libertarian position doesn't believe that government can't control the morality of its people. 

53 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

When we understand Gods plan we understand that our worthiness for the temple coincides with every honest and pure and virtuous principle of the marriage between man and woman. We covenant in the temple to acknowledge and live by ( that includes supporting) that foundational principle of sexual relationships are only between man and woman legally and lawfully wedded. That is our covenant, its what we support. Same sex marriage is diametrically opposed to this covenant. Supporting same sex marriage while being an endowed member is breaking that covenant.

My opinion is that you are mistaken when you say that supporting same sex marriage while being an endowed member is breaking the covenant. Want to get real specific and see whether we can agree about what each of us means when we use the word 'support' in the context of gay marriage? Maybe we can come to mutually satisfying place. :)

12 hours ago, Backroads said:

Please don't tell my administration. We had ethics review today and it was very awkward.

I know.  When people learn about your Doritos habit, they begin to question everything.  Why do you feel the need to sink your teeth into that delightful delicacy of devilish desire an consume that chastisible cheesy choice? Is it something to do with your relazionzhip viz your muzzah?  Should we be worried about the children?  What if they were to get a hold of that tempestuously tasty treat?  It would be pandemonium.  They'd be craving it all day instead of focusing on their classwork.

The Horror!  Stop the madness!

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

My opinion is that you are mistaken when you say that supporting same sex marriage while being an endowed member is breaking the covenant. Want to get real specific and see whether we can agree about what each of us means when we use the word 'support' in the context of gay marriage? Maybe we can come to mutually satisfying place. :)

I'll take you up on it.

I do not support gay marriage in the same way that I do not support divorce.

Go.