Loose House Cats

Traveler

40 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

I have recently become the sole keeper of two kitty cats: Sir Robwell Odgekin-Bodgekin McBurgelpuss and his sister Dame Willy-Wally-Walkokibblekins McBurgelpuss. At least that's what I've renamed them. I think I'll go on calling them by their old names of Robbie and Willow though. At least for the moment. Otherwise they're going to get very kitty-konfused!

Here's a picture of Sir Robwell:

Image preview

:animatedlol: Love the long names.  Image link shows broken for me - perhaps it's a rights thing with office.net.

I have been informed that if an animal (including a cat) is causing an annoyance that I can call animal control that will come and capture the animal.  There are 3 cats the regularly transvers my yard and I am unaware of where their home is.   Wondering what cat owners would feel about such actions?

The Traveler

17 minutes ago, Traveler said:

if an animal (including a cat) is causing an annoyance that I can call animal control that will come and capture the animal. 
Wondering what cat owners would feel about such actions?

Depends on the animal owner.  Some would understand and try to change their cat's behavior, probably unsuccessfully.  It can be hard to fence in a cat.  Others would throw a temper tantrum and decide to hate you for 3 generations.  It's a 'having neighbors' thing, not a cat owner thing.  

I've had (and tried to give) mostly good neighbor experiences.  When a neighbor dog showed up and killed a bunch of our chickens, the dog owner made it good.  When the same dog showed up again and ate another chicken neighbor got rid of the dog.   When my wife's idiot turkey took off across the road and got herself eaten by a neighbor dog on his own property, we did not have any issue at all. 

On 5/20/2023 at 7:54 AM, zil2 said:

:animatedlol:  Salads are good for you, you know.

One of the cats we had when I was a teenager loved to read the bible - as soon as you opened it, she came to join your reading session. :)

Apparently, lilies are poisonous to cats, as evidenced by the deposit Arwen (our cat) made under our keyboard in the living room.  

My previous cat must have been anti-LDS.  He would hide under the covers while I read The Book of Mormon and randomly reach out and strike the pages I was reading with his paw.  I think he put a hole in a few of those pages.

18 minutes ago, Jedi_Nephite said:

My previous cat must have been anti-LDS.  He would hide under the covers while I read The Book of Mormon and randomly reach out and strike the pages I was reading with his paw.  I think he put a hole in a few of those pages.

:animatedlol:

On 5/20/2023 at 4:17 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Depends on the animal owner.  Some would understand and try to change their cat's behavior, probably unsuccessfully.  It can be hard to fence in a cat.  Others would throw a temper tantrum and decide to hate you for 3 generations.  It's a 'having neighbors' thing, not a cat owner thing.  

I've had (and tried to give) mostly good neighbor experiences.  When a neighbor dog showed up and killed a bunch of our chickens, the dog owner made it good.  When the same dog showed up again and ate another chicken neighbor got rid of the dog.   When my wife's idiot turkey took off across the road and got herself eaten by a neighbor dog on his own property, we did not have any issue at all. 

If someone actually loves their cat and want to keep it away from danger or if they respect their neighbors (like most dog owners) there are prodicts that can be applied to their yard (or cat) to keep then in their designated outside space.  A simple "cat proof fence" search on Google will provide some ideas.  I have a couple of neighbors that imploy workable methods.  I do not know what the problems is with many cat owners.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

56 minutes ago, Traveler said:

If someone actually loves their cat and want to keep it away from danger or if they respect their neighbors (like most dog owners) there are prodicts that can be applied to their yard (or cat) to keep then in their designated outside space.  A simple "cat proof fence" search on Google will provide some ideas.  I have a couple of neighbors that imploy workable methods.  I do not know what the problems is with many cat owners.

The Traveler

If someone actually loves their dog and want to keep it away from danger and respects their neighbor, will not let them run loose.  They will also fit them with bark collars to keep them quiet so nobody has to listen to them yapping.  Those bark collars could also be equipped with shock collars that trigger if the dog gets up to the property line.  I do not know what the problem is with so many dog owners.

16 hours ago, Traveler said:

A simple "cat proof fence" search on Google will provide some ideas.

I know what cats are like. They are cunning and clever and lithe and acrobatic and contortionistic beyond belief. Furthermore they have a "stop-at-nothing" determination to get what they want. I would treat with extreme scepticism anything claiming to be a "cat proof fence". 

17 hours ago, mirkwood said:

If someone actually loves their dog and want to keep it away from danger and respects their neighbor, will not let them run loose.  They will also fit them with bark collars to keep them quiet so nobody has to listen to them yapping.  Those bark collars could also be equipped with shock collars that trigger if the dog gets up to the property line.  I do not know what the problem is with so many dog owners.

As someone who has owned dogs for twenty years (from pits to pugs) I totally agree. If you really care about your dog you’ll bust your butt teaching them manners and proper behavior. 

Having said that many of us have dogs for protection/house alarms. My Dal is like an overly paranoid mall security guard and will bark to tell me something is wrong. If the neighbors don’t like it, tough.  

41 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

My Dal is like an overly paranoid mall security guard and will bark to tell me something is wrong. If the neighbors don’t like it, tough.  

That isn't what I was talking about.  It is the owner who lets his dog bark outside in the yard endlessly.  

10 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

That isn't what I was talking about.  It is the owner who lets his dog bark outside in the yard endlessly.  

Oh okay. We agree totally.

In fact, down here I think leaving a dog outside in hot summer sun should be a felony and should get you 3-5 years in the state pen. 

4 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

I know what cats are like. They are cunning and clever and lithe and acrobatic and contortionistic beyond belief. Furthermore they have a "stop-at-nothing" determination to get what they want. I would treat with extreme scepticism anything claiming to be a "cat proof fence". 

Are you trying to tell me that you cannot out smart a cat - even if their life depended upon it?   🙃

The Traveler

On 5/3/2023 at 5:32 PM, zil2 said:

Meanwhile, I've been pondering getting a cat (have had many in the past, but have no pets right now).  This is going to sound bizarre (though not as bizarre as some of the above), but I was in the temple today, and had the distinct impression (during that part of the endowment that talks about animals having joy in their creation) that if I wanted a cat I should go ahead and get one.  I've been unsure, what with all the talk of the economy collapsing and the dollar becoming worthless and similar such things - it seemed like it might not be a financially responsible idea.  Apparently it's a good idea - if I want one.  So, I've started making a list of the things I'll need (to buy and to do) to provide a (safe) home for a kitty.  If I go forward, once I have him harness-trained, maybe I'll take him for a walk in @Traveler's neighborhood. :D

Yesterday, His Royal Highness, Prince Klawboy McPurry, Lord Shred, Count Cuddlebutt, Earl of Scratch, Knight Defender of Klawtower (AKA Klaw) was rescued from the shelter-dragon's prison.  :D  He is slowly and cautiously exploring his new realm.  (Perhaps because he's still under the effect of a pain-killer and mourning the lost of his reproductive ability - an injury inflicted during his Thursday battle with the shelter-dragon.)  He's still wary of his assigned guardian, chef, and box-cleaner.  In a while, I'll try some wet food and then try for a photo (right now he's napping in solitude).

[Later] I have been allowed to pet HRH and was rewarded with purrs, biscuit-making on my arm, bites, and licks (though the licks may have been because my fingers had recently held kitten treats which HRH consumed - hooray - was getting worried about him).

[Later] Little boy decided to come out of hiding at 11pm (after I'd gone to bed).  After sufficient crying, I resigned myself to being up half the night and sleeping on the couch.  (Yes, I'm now a slave.) And here's my first photo of Klaw, taking a break from playing:

KlawboyTakesABreak.thumb.jpg.864ed523b55b19142704bea7504c1a4c.jpg

...isn't he adorable? :D  Maybe if you have headphones, you can hear him purring in this video (volume was louder on my computer - maybe YT lowers the volume on shorts? :( ).  Anywho, this was my post-breakfast reward - HRH deigned to climb up for cuddles all on his own.