Does God actually want our worship?

CommanderSouth

Something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately is whether or not God actually wants our worship, obviously, he wants our respect, he wants our gratitude, but does he really want the endless fawning?  Perhaps this is a function of my own misunderstanding of what true worship is, or, perhaps, it’s a miscommunication on how society portrays worship. growing up protestant, Penecostal in this case, all I remember, is people, hands raised, waving back and forth slowly. Or speaking in tongues, depending on the service lol. This instilled in me, a vision of worship as endless praise, endless, speaking, gratitude expressed over and over without end. 

But my thoughts Lately have turned to the idea that perhaps it’s just living a righteous life, acknowledging his hand in your life, but not necessarily laying prostrate on the floor endlessly. in the way that I would worship my own father on earth. I want to do all that he has set me up to do, I also want to bring honor to his name I don’t wanna make him disappointed. And in doing this, this is the worship he wants and this way he isn’t the egomaniacal narcissist that a militant atheist would describe, he’s just a dad who loves his kids and wants them to do well, and they gave him honor by doing their best to do so. 

It ties into a thought that I’ve had lately that if you love me keep my Commandments it’s just a statement of if you love me trust me and in doing so we can fill the other part of that statement that if we do the will of the father we will know of the doctrine and our love for the father will grow.  

I understand these are basic statements but they haven’t came into my mind in this way before. And just figured it kick it around with one of my favorite sounding boards :D

Edited by CommanderSouth
Grammar.

For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Everything God does, he does with this reason in mind. That includes instructing us to worship him and put him above all. It's only our own foolish, mortal vantage point that leads us to think it's an ego thing. It is not an ego thing.

My earthly Mother still loves to receive my phone calls.

And I dearly miss my Father who passed 4 years ago. I wish I could call him.

Im sure our Heavenly Father and Mother are not any different.  

Worship is a complex word with many connotations.  

God does love us.  And he most likely appreciates our love, heart felt prayers, and when we try to follow his recommendations and example.

Edited by mikbone

1 hour ago, CommanderSouth said:

Something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately is whether or not God actually wants our worship, obviously, he wants our respect, he wants our gratitude, but does he really want the endless fawning?  Perhaps this is a function of my own misunderstanding of what true worship is, or, perhaps, it’s a miscommunication on how society portrays worship. growing up protestant, Penecostal in this case, all I remember, is people, hands raised, waving back and forth slowly. Or speaking in tongues, depending on the service lol. This instilled in me, a vision of worship as endless praise, endless, speaking, gratitude expressed over and over without end. 

But my thoughts Lately have turned to the idea that perhaps it’s just living a righteous life, acknowledging his hand in your life, but not necessarily laying prostrate on the floor endlessly. in the way that I would worship my own father on earth. I want to do all that he has set me up to do, I also want to bring honor to his name I don’t wanna make him disappointed. And in doing this, this is the worship he wants and this way he isn’t the egomaniacal narcissist that a militant atheist would describe, he’s just a dad who loves his kids and wants them to do well, and they gave him honor by doing their best to do so. 

It ties into a thought that I’ve had lately that if you love me keep my Commandments it’s just a statement of if you love me trust me and in doing so we can fill the other part of that statement that if we do the will of the father we will know of the doctrine and our love for the father will grow.  

I understand these are basic statements but they haven’t came into my mind in this way before. And just figured it kick it around with one of my favorite sounding boards :D

Contrary to what many think they know – the worship of G-d is not a common commandment in scripture – Worshiping G-d is not one of the 10 commandments.   It would seem that we are commanded to love G-d (among other things) that are counted as forms of worship.  Perhaps the highest form or type of worship is to emulate or “remember” G-d and take upon us (“use”) G-d’s name – but never in vain.  

Perhaps it is a problem but for the most part, commandments are given with an air of vagueness.   This allows individuals to make up all kinds of ideas pertaining to specific meanings.   I believe that we are the example of what we believe.  Specifically, we are the example of what we believe concerning G-d.  We are the example of that G-d that we believe in and would do if that G-d was in our circumstance – or at least what he or she ought to do or think.

I also think it is a type of worship to adore and respect in others what we think are characteristic of the G-d to which we align ourselves.  Some think that LDS worship Joseph Smith or our current living prophet.  I am not sure I want to or need to argue that point – in part because of the oath and covenant of the priesthood.

Often, as I discuss the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with those of other religious sects – one of the most oft criticism is that we think we will become G-ds.  Which is my understanding of the highest possible form or type of worship.  That the purpose of G-d is to teach us to be (behave) like Him.  This exact point was argued in scripture between Jesus and the Jew’s (Pharisees) in the Gospel of John Chapter 10 verses 30 – 36.  That being “one” with G-d requires that we become g-ds.   What is very telling to me, is the logic Jesus employes to convince the Jews that we (they) are g-ds (verse 34).

The Traveler

(hit submit too soon)

The first requirement here is to figure out what worship means - specifically, where it came from (and perhaps what it meant way back in the day).  But for this purpose, etymology is sufficient:

Old English weorthscipe ‘worthiness, acknowledgment of worth’

To worship someone is to acknowledge their worth.  Some people worship wealth or fame - pursuing them with a singleness of purpose.  Some worship their career.  Etc.  We worship that which we consider to be of the most worth.  That which is of the most worth is our "god".  God our Father wants us to worship him ("thou shalt have no other gods before me") for the reason @Vort gave - it's the way to ensure the immortality and eternal life of man.  Worship of anything else before (over, more than) God will lead us elsewhere.

Next, my recommendation is that you turn to the Topical Guide entry for Worship and study what you find there.  I have found this to be a very effective technique for clarifying my own thinking.  And often, I don't even have to leave the Topical Guide (though it's better to read more than less of the scriptures cited).  In this case, just from the entry, I see a few interesting things:

• When Abraham was on his way to sacrifice Isaac, he told the men with them to stay behind while "I and the lad will go yonder and worship" - so making sacrifices to God (these days, a broken heart and contrite spirit, aka humility and repentance) is considered worshiping God.
  • The word "serve" is frequently treated by those who created the index as synonymous with "worship".
  • Ditto with the idea of loving God
  • Psalm 95 suggests prayer as a form of (or companion to?) worship (Alma 33:3 makes them synonymous)
  • Follow the Jeremiah link and you'll see that discipleship is treated as worship (similar in other citations)
  • Accepting/receiving/following
  • The Zoramites are an example of how not to worship (vain / lying words - hypocrisy)
  • "...grant unto them their sacred privileges to worship the Lord their God, yea, to support and maintain the cause of God all his days..." (Alma 50:39)
  • D&C 93 may warrant a deep dive:

19 I give unto you these sayings that you may understand and know how to worship, and know what you worship, that you may come unto the Father in my name, and in due time receive of his fulness.

Other than these things and what's already been expressed by others, I have no clue what "worship" could mean - there are lots of verses where it says something like, "...he/they worshipped...", but these verses give no details as to what that means.  Somehow, I doubt it involved Hollywood-esque idol worship style behavior.

You'll have to excuse me now, Klaw is demanding that I worship him.

Edited by zil2

3 hours ago, CommanderSouth said:

I remember on my mission watching some Protestant services and having the distinct impression that it felt like they were kissing up to/flattering God.

I am inclined to think the way you do, but with the caveat that while I think that most of the rituals in the Church that we would call “worship” have more value to us and to our fellow Church members than they really have to God—that doesn’t excuse us from participating in them.

The idea of spiritual gifts here also feels appropriate to me.  Some people’s gift is to build, others is wisdom, others is healing, others is dance or song—and some people’s gift is oratory; and I’m not always good at discerning whether a speaker is being a beautiful orator or just plain long-winded.  So I try to be patient with mellifluous or maudlin speech or prayer at the pulpit.  

3 hours ago, CommanderSouth said:

My view is obviously skewed because I'm still Pentecostal, but YES! As soon as I saw the title I thought of the song, "The Heart of Worship." The story behind the song is that the pastor of a large church decided that for one month there would be no singing during the services. He wanted the church to learn that worship was about more than singing. The worship leader went through a deep spiritual crisis. He realized that without music he was nothing. As he continued to meditate, he realized that it was never about him--it was always about God. 

When the music fades ... And all is stripped away
And I simply come ... Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth ... That will bless your heart

I'll bring you more than a song ... For a song in itself, is not what you have required
You search much deeper within ... Through the way things appear ... You're looking into my heart

I'm coming back to the heart of worship ... And it's all about you, it's all about you Jesus
I'm sorry Lord, for the thing I've made it ... When it's all about you, it's all about you Jesus

Yes, our good works demonstrates that the God we say we believe in is real. Good works are where the unbelievers can see that what we believe means something. On the other hand, God already knows. When we sing--when we worship him directly--it really is just about God. It's not about ourselves or anything tangible. It's the ultimate in faith, because it's impractical. There is just too much worship in the Book of Revelation for me not to believe that it is central to our loving God.

In all things in the Gospel, our example (perfect example) is Christ. When I think of worship I think of Christ's life -- the pure love of Chirst. The pure love of Christ (Charity) glorified the Father in all he said and did.

God wants our LOVE. The evidence is given in the conversation between the Lord and Enoch when Enoch realized God can weep for the workmanship of his hands and their disregard for filial piety.

This verse in the conversation explains what the Father means by worship, which Jesus Christ offered in totality to the Father and as asked us/invited us to do the same (what manner of man aught you to be....), "And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father..."

Edited by Anddenex

5 hours ago, CommanderSouth said:

... obviously, he wants our respect, he wants our gratitude

... but does he really want the endless fawning?  

Those are two very different things.  Are either of them right or wrong?  Let's take a look.  @zil2 gave a good list from latter-day scriptures.  Here are some thoughts from the meanings in the Bible.

In the Bible, the original language meanings of the words translated as "worship":

• Saha (Heb) : Bow down (specifically, in worship & reverence).
  • Segid (Aramaic): Pay homage (which means an act of acknowledging faithfulness and allegiance to).
  • Proskyneō (Greek): To kneel and offer hand gestures (like kisses) in worship or reverence.

It seems that the Lord certainly wants us to:

• Humble ourselves before him.  We need to acknowledge that He knows more than we do, and His wisdom is greater than our own.  So, we should do what He says without trying to figure out how we know better than Him.
  • We need to be loyal and faithful to Him.  And such devotion should be shown in our actions.
  • When we do ordinances, we need to show proper reverence for the covenants we're making with Him.

So, by these definitions, yes, He certainly wants us to worship Him.

Edited by Carborendum

On 8/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, CommanderSouth said:

Several Hebrew words have been translated as “worship” but they do have different meanings. For example:

shachah, to bow down, falling on the face in fear and reverence. Hence every knee shall bow, out of fear (the wicked) or reverence (the righteous).

barak, kneeling in reverence, bending at the waist in submission, to bless in adoration.

todah, thanksgiving, thank offering, act of adoration, holding out the hands in worship, extending and casting the arms outward

zamar, to make music in praise of God, usually the voice but instruments also

halal, to render glory openly and without shame, to shine, to celebrate, to praise

hwh, bow down

abad, serve

I see God wanting these for all of us, several are indicated as part of temple service and many as part of our ministering work. Here are a couple of interesting articles touching pon these subjects:

Worship: Bowing Down and Serving the Lord | Religious Studies Center (byu.edu)

"Biblical Hebrew Words You Already Know and Why They Are Important" | Religious Studies Center (byu.edu)

I think he actually wants worship in the way that we Worship him formally.  In our formal (as opposed to informal, which is more dealing with organization, instruction, and studying in such things as Sunday School) worship everything is normally centered around an ordinance.  These ordinances are necessary for us or others to attain the goal of exaltation.  The other purpose of worship is so that we may gather together (as taught to do in the scriptures).  This helps us strengthen each other in our faith.

In this, the entire point of worship is to help us either by giving us the tools we need to get to exaltation through covenants/ordinances or to help each other in our journey in this life to the next in staying strong and true to the faith.

In this you could say the Sabbath is made for man...worship is made for man so that we can return to live with our Father.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

In our Bible Dictionary under the topic of prayer it states "We pray in Christ’s name when our mind is the mind of Christ, and our wishes the wishes of Christ—when His words abide in us (John 15:7). We then ask for things it is possible for God to grant. Many prayers remain unanswered because they are not in Christ’s name at all; they in no way represent His mind but spring out of the selfishness of man’s heart."

I think this principle applies to all forms of worship of God. Worshipping is part of the process of taking upon us the name of Christ and becoming one with him, if done with the right attitude and righteous desire.