Chased by an elephant...

zil2

I'm guessing that life-long Church members know exactly where the title of this thread comes from - at least those who grew up when Primary children were required to memorize the articles of faith:

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

...Or am I wrong?  Was it only in my ward (generation?) that this ("chaste, benevolent" >> "chased by an elephant") was a thing, or is it somehow universal to the Church (in English-speaking areas anyway)?

Yes, Philippians 4:8 from this week's Come, Follow Me brought this happy memory back to me. :)

41 minutes ago, zil2 said:

:( Apparently it was limited to our little corner of low-density Zion.  Sigh.  I was hoping for evidence of spontaneous linguistic humor generation...

When my mother was a girl, she thought that the hymn was saying yoo-hoo unto Jesus. "Yoo-hoo, Jesus!" She thought it a bit informal, but when you're a child, you just accept things as they are, or at least as you perceive them to be.

EDIT: For the benefit of @Jamie123, @prisonchaplain, and other friends who may not be familiar with LDS hymns: The "LDS version" (if I can call it that) of "How Firm a Foundation" used to have the first verse as follows:

How firm a foundation, ye Saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said—
You who unto Jesus for refuge have fled?

This was actually compounded by how it's sung; the "You who unto Jesus" part is repeated three times in the chorus before the final four words are sung.

Since the release of the 1985 hymnal, this final line has been updated to "...Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?" I'm sure it's exactly for the above reason, though I never actually thought about "Yoo-hoo! Jesus!", so I never understood why they changed it until my mother told us what she had thought. Then it all became clear.

Edited by Vort

6 hours ago, zil2 said:

I"chaste, benevolent" >> "chased by an elephant") was a thing, or is it somehow universal to the Church (in English-speaking areas anyway)?

Is this the LDS version of that great Old Testament story about Shadrach, Meshach, and "Into-Bed-You-Go"?

Forrest Gump on God's name:

Hey Forest, what's God's name?

It's Andy!

Andy? How'd you come up with that?

It's in the song: Andy walked with me / Andy Talked with me / Andy tells me I am His own...

It's Howard!

Howard? How'd you come up with that?

It's in the prayer: Our Father who art in heaven, Howard be thy name.

3 hours ago, Backroads said:

373e2a4382da7005e910b36af3088186.jpg

I remember this photo clearly, it was taken in the late 1970s. The girl in the yellow jacket is Joanne. The elephant on the right with the big tusks is Bob.

The Article of Faith race was a regular event in my Primary. As an incentive to help us learn the Articles of Faith faster, we would line up at the starting point in the carpark. The elephants were 20 meters behind us. We would both start the race together. If we made it across the carpark while correctly reciting an Article of Faith, we were safe. If not, we would be “tusked.” I think the same technique was used to help prospective elders learn the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. It was a very effective teaching technique, but eventually the Bishop put a stop to it because the cost of feeding the elephants was too much of a drain on the ward budget. 

Edited by askandanswer

2 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I remember this photo clearly, it was taken in the late 1970s. The girl in the yellow jacket is Joanne. The elephant on the right with the big tusks is Bob.

The Article of Faith race was a regular event in my Primary. As an incentive to help us learn the Articles of Faith faster, we would line up at the starting point in the carpark. The elephants were 20 meters behind us. We would both start the race together. If we made it across the carpark while correctly reciting an Article of Faith, we were safe. If not, we would be “tusked.” I think the same technique was used to help prospective elders learn the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood. It was a very effective teaching technique, but eventually the Bishop put a stop to it because the cost of feeding the elephants was too much of a drain on the ward budge. 

They do things differently down under. For example, I find the elephants surprising, but I had no idea you guys had a ward budge.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

They do things differently down under. For example, I find the elephants surprising, but I had no idea you guys had a ward budge.

That's how we moved our ward along the straight and narrow path - one budge at a time. 

54 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

Forrest Gump on God's name:

It's Andy!

Andy? How'd you come up with that?

It's in the song: Andy walked with me / Andy Talked with me / Andy tells me I am His own...

It's Howard!

Howard? How'd you come up with that?

It's in the prayer: Our Father who art in heaven, Howard be thy name.

I thought it was Our Father Howard in heaven.

18 hours ago, zil2 said:

I'm guessing that life-long Church members know exactly where the title of this thread comes from - at least those who grew up when Primary children were required to memorize the articles of faith:

I do remember one adult saying this when I was a kid.  But at the time, my understanding of linguistic anomalies was wanting.  So, I just looked at him in confusion as I tried to correct him.  He just laughed at me, leaving me bewildered.

23 hours ago, zil2 said:

...Or am I wrong?  Was it only in my ward (generation?) that this ("chaste, benevolent" >> "chased by an elephant") was a thing, or is it somehow universal to the Church (in English-speaking areas anyway)?

It reminds me of Meat Loaf: "I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, I'm Cilla Black fan on a bike!" (Correct lyric: "on a silver black phantom bike")

Cilla Black: In pictures - BBC News

3 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

It reminds me of Meat Loaf: "I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, I'm Cilla Black fan on a bike!" (Correct lyric: "on a silver black phantom bike")

And as we all know, Kilimanjaro rises like a, um...leopard...above the Serengeti.