First day of November

mirkwood

Speaking of getting ready for holidays...

I think most of the posters on here are aware that I've been creating threads for the lead-up to Christmas for years now. It started as just places for anybody to post whatever holiday songs they wanted, but the last couple years I've been including scriptures and quotes. And I'm not sure what to do for this year.

1. Go back to just posting whatever holiday music

2. Do a spiritual, scripture-and-music-and-inspirational-thought thread

3. Combine the two, so the more thought out and spiritual posts are in the midst of whatever other stuff I and everybody else feels like posting

4. Do a general music thread and an inspirational thread

5. Something else

On 11/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, SilentOne said:

I think most of the posters on here are aware that I've been creating threads for the lead-up to Christmas for years now. It started as just places for anybody to post whatever holiday songs they wanted, but the last couple years I've been including scriptures and quotes. And I'm not sure what to do for this year.

3. Combine the two, so the more thought out and spiritual posts are in the midst of whatever other stuff I and everybody else feels like posting

5. Something else

I'm not sure what the difference between 2, 3, and 4, are, but combining the music and spiritual quotes and scriptures I think is great!

23 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not sure what the difference between 2, 3, and 4, are, but combining the music and spiritual quotes and scriptures I think is great!

2 - The thread would be centered around the devotional thoughts

3 - I would post a devotional post, then might come back and add The 12 Days of Christmas or Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Baby, It's Cold Outside

4 - There would be one thread focused on the devotional posts and one for any music, spiritual or very much not so

On 11/2/2023 at 12:45 PM, SilentOne said:

5. Something else

If the Church does the Light the World thing again this year you could do something in connection with that. Not sure what it would look like but it would definitely give some direction.

12 hours ago, SilentOne said:

2 - The thread would be centered around the devotional thoughts

3 - I would post a devotional post, then might come back and add The 12 Days of Christmas or Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Baby, It's Cold Outside

4 - There would be one thread focused on the devotional posts and one for any music, spiritual or very much not so

Probably something like #3

PS:  Edit - It is Waaay to early.  Daylight savings time fools me again. 

Edited by JohnsonJones

Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. 

For the last few years, iHeart-owned classic top 40 station KBGO-FM Waco Texas has stunted all-Christmas starting the first weekend in November. 

It's the first Sunday, and they're still playing their regular format. 

Either they're pulling back and waiting to go all-Christmas when it's more appropriate, or they just didn't get the memo yet. 

4 hours ago, EH12NG said:

Beyond Halloween is barely worth living for. The season of fake smiles and hyperactive passive aggression inbound! 

I think it's great to have a major holiday, and a religiously inspired holiday at that (that is, an actual holiday), right at the winter solstice when it's dark and the weather is cold and uninviting. How nice to have a time when we're supposed to think about others and give them gifts. Sure, many will abuse such a thing, be cynical about it, whatever. But it's a nice idea. Christmas is my second-favorite holiday, right behind Thanksgiving, both calendrically and in my personal priority list.

4 hours ago, Vort said:

I think it's great to have a major holiday, and a religiously inspired holiday at that (that is, an actual holiday), right at the winter solstice when it's dark and the weather is cold and uninviting. How nice to have a time when we're supposed to think about others and give them gifts. Sure, many will abuse such a thing, be cynical about it, whatever. But it's a nice idea. Christmas is my second-favorite holiday, right behind Thanksgiving, both calendrically and in my personal priority list.

Not allowed to call it Christmas anymore. No Marys and Josephs and mangers and little baby Jesusses. Someone might see them who's NOT A CHRISTIAN, and oh it will be SO offensive!!!

Except it won't of course. They won't mind one bit. Do you think I mind Diwali? No, I like the colourful lights and the different gods and goddesses: Hanuman and Parvati and Ganesha with his elephant head. I don't believe in them obviously, but they don't OFFEND me. So why should a Hindu be offended by pictures of the Nativity and choirs in the streets singing Christmas carols? He's not, one bit.

So none of this "festive season" nonsense. It's Christmas, so let's make it about Christ!

3 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Not allowed to call it Christmas anymore. No Marys and Josephs and mangers and little baby Jesusses. Someone might see them who's NOT A CHRISTIAN, and oh it will be SO offensive!!!

Except it won't of course. They won't mind one bit. Do you think I mind Diwali? No, I like the colourful lights and the different gods and goddesses: Hanuman and Parvati and Ganesha with his elephant head. I don't believe in them obviously, but they don't OFFEND me. So why should a Hindu be offended by pictures of the Nativity and choirs in the streets singing Christmas carols? He's not, one bit.

So none of this "festive season" nonsense. It's Christmas, so let's make it about Christ!

No one cares about Christians celebrating Christmas. Literally no one. Why do Christians care so much that other holidays exist in December?

13 minutes ago, Phoenix_person said:

No one cares about Christians celebrating Christmas. Literally no one. Why do Christians care so much that other holidays exist in December?

That's funny. If literally no one cares about Christians celebrating Christmas, why did I receive pushback last year for wishing people a "merry Christmas"? Curious to find out why my inoffensive well-wishing statement raised the hackles of some precious souls.

Which holidays other than Christmas that exist in December do you think Christians care so much about? I want to become familiar with these other December holidays that Christians care so much about.

59 minutes ago, Phoenix_person said:

In my real-life experience physically being around other humans, pretty much nobody is out to offend or be offended by either Christians or non-Christians.  I encounter a couple exceptions each year. On both sides.

Online, there's an endless hoard of folks out both to offend, and get offended.  There are hypersensitive Christians who fire off their "Merry Christmas" like a challenge, obviously looking for a fight.  There are never-not-offended folks who make sure everyone within earshot gets a dose of their "Everything about Christmas was stolen by other religions" - also obviously looking to score a blow against white colonizer oppressors.  

If you're asking me to opine about the hypersensitive Christians, I'd guess that they're insecure, worried about their children, and maybe mad that we're not in the cultural majority any more.  It's just a guess.  

I'm not guessing about the whole 'white colonizer oppressors' schtick, I've had it explained to me by more than one of those folks on more than one occasion.

15 hours ago, Vort said:

Oh no, this time of year gives me the fear. Can't be doing with the jolly shenanigans. 

12 hours ago, Vort said:

That's funny. If literally no one cares about Christians celebrating Christmas, why did I receive pushback last year for wishing people a "merry Christmas"? Curious to find out why my inoffensive well-wishing statement raised the hackles of some precious souls.

Which holidays other than Christmas that exist in December do you think Christians care so much about? I want to become familiar with these other December holidays that Christians care so much about.

Yup.  I had similar experiences, myself. 

And I've seen the FFR foundation issue lawsuits to keep a Santa Claus display off of school grounds.  Santa isn't even religious.  He's the secular version of Christmas.  There was NOTHING religious about the display.  But FFR thought it was offensive enough to file a lawsuit.

16 hours ago, Vort said:

I totally love the Muppets' Christmas Carol. Absolutely no one else seems to love that movie as much as I do.

I cry like a baby every time I see it. 

We reach for you, and we stand tall,
And in our prayers and dreams we ask you 'bless us all'.

God bless us every one?

And who except seriously out-of-touch people (who don't have sex on a second date) ever prays? * I mean, it's 2023 for goodness sake!

I wonder what the lyrics would be if that movie were made today!

(Don't get me started on A Charlie Brown Christmas!)

P.S. Don't you think that Michael Caine is the greatest actor in the entire universe of time, space, matter and energy?

*Well OK, Muslims maybe. Gotta be careful what we say about them.

Edited by Jamie123

• 3 weeks later...

@JohnsonJones @laronius Thank you for your input. I have started a thread for my devotionish posts. If other people want to post other music in there, or if they create or resurrect another thread for less spiritual music, I'll probably go along with whatever.

Unfortunately, I haven't thought of a way to integrate the Light the World stuff with my song-scripture-quote format, but that service generator is fun.