What language would you pick

Cassiopeia

Esperanto, for the quirkiness factor.

Arabic, because it's beautiful to look at, and it's one of the linguistic ancestors of Spanish, which I know and love.

Swahili, because in linguistics class we learned a little and I loved it!

Coptic, just because. I actually have a textbook on Coptic; it's fascinating! I'm getting to where I can read some of it, but I'd loooove to take a real course in it. Many ancient documents in Coptic are just sitting there, waiting to be translated, because so few people are able to do the work.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you could learn any language, what would it be and why? I have this thirst to learn one but I'm currently rebelling against Spanish. I'm tired of have to's and practical. So what language do you love?

Japanese. Every time they talk, it sounds like they are so angry. They could be talking about fish and it sounds like they want to kill something. It's awesome lol. I love it.

If you spoke Reformed Egyptian, you would be a valuable asset to the Maxwell Institute.

Was that even a spoken language?

Japanese. Every time they talk, it sounds like they are so angry. They could be talking about fish and it sounds like they want to kill something. It's awesome lol. I love it.

They want to kill the fish...duh. Sushi, anyone?

if you could learn any language, what would it be and why? I have this thirst to learn one but I'm currently rebelling against Spanish. I'm tired of have to's and practical. So what language do you love?

Easy: Nederlands (Dutch)! Just because it's what so many of my ancestors spoke. That, and because Holland is WAY cool! :)

HEP

• 4 weeks later...

I'd have to choose either between German or Japanese. [Japanese] Not because I'm an avid anime watcher but something about the language and culture just fascinates me. It is, however, EXTREMELY hard to learn. Through my couple years here and there of attempting to learn it I've only been able to pick up a few words. :3

1.Klingon

2.Elven

3.Ateva

4.Esperanto

5.Latin

... just so only us nerds can understand each other.

Edited by Blackmarch

Well if you are fluent in English, you can go almost anywhere. Because it's true its the "universal" language.

I'm fluent in Spanish, and have spent 8 years trying to learn German I'm not fluent, but can get by. I would like to do much better in Deutsch.:o

• 1 month later...

I learnt Japanese in Primary and High School, but I haven't had the chance to learn it anymore, I'm afraid I'm rather rusty at it, I would love to be able to speak it fluently, but the language I would really love to learn is German. My family has hosted 3 german exchange students and from hearing them talk I fell in love with the language, would really love to learn it.

Ukrainian (oh wait, I already know it).

Believe it or not, Ukrainian was ranked the second most beautiful language behind Italian about a decade ago.

Os, tze mova! Zvidki znayte yii?

Ukrainian is definitely one of the most musical languages.

Edited by volgadon