Pepsi, Coke, Rootbeer... Yes or No?

AngelMarvel

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Priesthood Bulletin, February 1972, emphasis mine:

“With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.”

From "Staying Healthy: Welfare Services Suggest How," Ensign, January 1981, p.10

Q. What are the health consequences of drinking caffeine drinks other than coffee? What is the position of the Church regarding their use?

A. The full answer to this question lies in the area of medical opinion and reliance on personal discernment. Cola beverages do contain caffeine and thus may be avoided in accordance with the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. The most current Church literature relating to the question is found in a Priesthood Bulletin statement dated February 1972:

“With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.”

There is no current Church policy that would preclude a bishop issuing a temple recommend to a person who consumes cola beverages. However, Cola beverages contain caffeine in amounts that are approximately one-half to one-fourth the amount in a cup of coffee, depending upon the size of the bottle. Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant that certainly tends to become addictive in its use, with the attendant side effects of nervous-system stimulants. Frequent use of cola beverages can lead to an addictive pattern similar to that observed in coffee drinkers.

Oh, and also:

snopes.com: Mormon Ownership of Coca-Cola

Are cola drinks strictly prohibited by the Word of Wisdom?

No.

Do some individuals feel cola drinks' health consequences are not in line with the Word of Wisdom?

Yes.

I'd say the simple answer to your question is that yes, there's really nothing against cola drinks. If drinking them goes against your personal interpretation of the WoW, don't drink them and feel free to feel guilty if you do.

But I wouldn't feel guilty about breaking some rule a GA gave.

I personally love Coke. Pepsi is of the devil, but I love Coca Cola.

Other way around. Coke is just nasty and should be against the WofW. But Pepsi is heaveny. ;) I buy one or two 20 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi a week and keep it in the outside fridge. I go out to take a swig a few time a day so I'm not over doing it. I just need it as a pick me up or if I have a really dry throat. If I kept it inside or within view, it wouldn't last an hour. But the way I do it, a bottle lasts several days. Yes it gets a bit flat near the end. But it's great in the winter when the top part freezes when I open it. Almost like a Pepsi Slurpie. :)

Edited by carlimac

Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke, but Coke Zero above Diet Pepsi.

I have always found the restriction on colas to be cultural and largely regional. I had some wards where it was frowned upon by the bishop and the majority of the congregation, and others where the bishop would have a party and have a full cooler of various caffeinated drinks. So from a legalistic setting, you can pass a worthiness interview, but you may be glared at by your fellow Mormons (which is a sin unto itself).

The tradition of soda's being part of the Word of Wisdom is a Mormonism, things that are interpreted as doctrine but are not. The church's official stance is coffee, tea, alcohol, drugs, and nothing else. Harold B Lee addressed this Mormonism in a book he wrote about Mormonisms. He was fond of Coke, himself.

Years ago I drank Pepsi like crazy. The caffeine gave me horrible headaches and I almost always woke up in the morning with one. I stopped drinking it and went to nothing but water, especially while training for track & field and I felt great all the time. Never had another headache. Then, a couple years ago I started drinking Pepsi again, and the headaches returned. So, a couple of months ago I stopped, and so did the headaches. Occasionally I'll have a root beer (A&W) and I will usually get a headache after drinking it. I think now that it has something to do with the sugar and not just caffeine, even though A&W has no caffeine. I get the same kind of headache after eating french toast because we put powdered sugar on them.

I'd like to get a Sodastream but only to do root beer, lemonade, and lemon-lime. We don't drink much soda in my house. We've still got 3 liter bottles of different kinds we bought before Christmas that we've hardly touched.

If I buy any kind of soda, my husband can't leave it alone. Same with my ten year old grandson who lives with us. I like to have a couple of small bottles of diet cherry coke/pepsi on hand, so if I need an energy boost, it's there. I've had to hide my bottles of soda because of hubby and grandson. I still have a bottle of diet cherry pepsi that I bought in September. I haven't needed it yet. Hubby and grandson haven't found it either. I'm sure it'd be gone if they did.

Just wanted to ditto Church's (church's? My quote button is glitching) mention that caffeine isn't inherently not good &/or bad for everyone.

I'm ADHD. I can self manage PRN with caffeine & exercise (about 4 hours a day, or 10 -15 miles). To achieve the same, be the same productive member of society, I have to take double the normal dose of most ADHD meds (I think something like 8% of us ADHD types need double normal dosage, it's rx'd that way).

Being ADHD stimulants actually calm me down.

- My blood pressure & heart rate LOWERS.

- I stop being twitchy to having explosive toddler like energy (I used to drink a 20oz espresso before boring meetings so I could zen out instead of jumping out of my skin).

- My focus narrows (it's not the inability to pay attention, it's paying attention to everything all the time, from how your feet feel inside your socks to remembering being chastised in 2nd grade, to how the dust motes are floating....x50... If you've ever seen the BBCs Sherlock, it's like that. With swirling info pouring off of not just people but also places, things, and memories. All. The. Time. Stimulants calm the brain down so it stops noticing everything, and trying to relate everything, and we just see things. )

- Sleep regulates (narrowed focus is a huge blessing. Otherwise I've got 2-6 hours of info to sort through every night before my mind stills).

Roughly 4% of the population is ADHD.

Statistics About ADD in Adults & Children | ADDitude - Adults & Children with ADD ADHD

(not only 'cause I know all y'all love attribution, but also a FANTASTIC site).

But there are also other neurological disorders, as well as other physiological disorders where mild/low dose stimulants range from VERY good for a person to actually necessary for "normal" function.

And there are also who regions that need stimulants (high altitude).

Anyhow,,, I tend to think of caffeine rather like I hunk of salt; for many, if not most, in many regions... Salt intake needs to be fairly low. But for significant portions of the global population high sodium intake is necessary for the same standard of living (desert regions, certain physiological disorders, athletes in training, etx.).

Q

Just wanted to ditto Church's (church's? My quote button is glitching) mention that caffeine isn't inherently not good &/or bad for everyone.

I'm ADHD. I can self manage PRN with caffeine & exercise (about 4 hours a day, or 10 -15 miles). To achieve the same, be the same productive member of society, I have to take double the normal dose of most ADHD meds (I think something like 8% of us ADHD types need double normal dosage, it's rx'd that way).

Being ADHD stimulants actually calm me down.

- My blood pressure & heart rate LOWERS.

- I stop being twitchy to having explosive toddler like energy (I used to drink a 20oz espresso before boring meetings so I could zen out instead of jumping out of my skin).

- My focus narrows (it's not the inability to pay attention, it's paying attention to everything all the time, from how your feet feel inside your socks to remembering being chastised in 2nd grade, to how the dust motes are floating....x50... If you've ever seen the BBCs Sherlock, it's like that. With swirling info pouring off of not just people but also places, things, and memories. All. The. Time. Stimulants calm the brain down so it stops noticing everything, and trying to relate everything, and we just see things. )

- Sleep regulates (narrowed focus is a huge blessing. Otherwise I've got 2-6 hours of info to sort through every night before my mind stills).

Roughly 4% of the population is ADHD.

Statistics About ADD in Adults & Children | ADDitude - Adults & Children with ADD ADHD

(not only 'cause I know all y'all love attribution, but also a FANTASTIC site).

But there are also other neurological disorders, as well as other physiological disorders where mild/low dose stimulants range from VERY good for a person to actually necessary for "normal" function.

And there are also who regions that need stimulants (high altitude).

Anyhow,,, I tend to think of caffeine rather like I hunk of salt; for many, if not most, in many regions... Salt intake needs to be fairly low. But for significant portions of the global population high sodium intake is necessary for the same standard of living (desert regions, certain physiological disorders, athletes in training, etx.).

Q

I've often wondered about self-medicating in this regard. In some ways I think, why not? Usually ADHD (or ADD, in my case...no H for me) treatments are guess work anyway. They try you on the medicine and see if it works. So why not do the same yourself with caffeine? But then I started getting migraines from so much caffeine use, so I kicked it. Surprise, surprise, I've learned that I can handle life now without any medicine, prescribed or self-prescribed. But I still wonder about the idea of it from a Word of Wisdom p.o.v.

I don't drink pop as I am afraid of diabetes, but for awhile there, I was drinking lots of juice and "sport" drinks on a regular basis, which is really just as bad as the liver takes a beating and it usually gets tired of that after awhile.

Drinking aspartame is worse in my opinion, as its far more toxic than fructose. I found it slightly amusing that my parents are proud of drinking "diet" over regular, as they seem to believe its a healthier choice.

Water is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything.

Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke, but Coke Zero above Diet Pepsi.

I have always found the restriction on colas to be cultural and largely regional. I had some wards where it was frowned upon by the bishop and the majority of the congregation, and others where the bishop would have a party and have a full cooler of various caffeinated drinks. So from a legalistic setting, you can pass a worthiness interview, but you may be glared at by your fellow Mormons (which is a sin unto itself).

In my last home we would host a Ward Breakfast in the cul-de-sac. One time it rained on us and we moved it into my garage. I had a large Coca-Cola banner inside. The Steak President was in our ward and shook his head at it. He then looked at his 19 year old daughter and told her she needed to stop drinking caffeinated drinks. He said "you know there isn't going to be Coke in heaven" and she replied "Then I better drink it while I can down here!" it was great! :lol:

Yes, but is it 'bad' for you? Obviously in excess...but that's true of anything. I guess the question is, when does it become excessive?

Also, not good for you could be debated I think. What is 'good'? If one had access to no liquid but caffeine free diet soda when stranded on a raft in the middle of the ocean, I would dare say that drinking the soda would keep you alive significantly longer than drinking nothing. I guess it goes to the 'good, better, best' philosophy.

Choose what you drink rationally. If I was stranded on a raft in the middle of the ocean with only Dr. Pepper to drink I would drink Dr. Pepper. It also gets down to benefit. Will the soda provide more benefit than water? Only if the water is contaminated. If you have very low blood sugar and there is no other fast acting glucose, soda might be better- although you will crash later.

Edited by Irishcolleen

Originally Posted by mandy151982 View Post

Anyway I know that aspartame is pretty bad for you.

An internet search will bring up hundreds of reviews on the subject. I liked this one (Aspartame – Truth vs Fiction « Science-Based Medicine ) that notes the facts good/bad and determines the following conclusion.

Aspartame is a highly studied food additive with decades of research showing that it is safe for human consumption. As expected, the research is complex making it possible to cherry pick and misinterpret individual studies in order to fear monger. But the totality of research, reviewed by many independent agencies and expert panels, supports the safety of aspartame.

A conspiracy to hide the risks of aspartame, however, remains a popular internet urban legend that will likely not disappear anytime soon.

Choose what you drink rationally. If I was stranded on a raft in the middle of the ocean with only Dr. Pepper to drink I would drink Dr. Pepper. It also gets down to benefit. Will the soda provide more benefit than water? Only if the water is contaminated. If you have very low blood sugar and there is no other fast acting glucose, soda might be better- although you will crash later.

Right. Point being...the benefit of food is relative. Leaf and romaine lettuce is healthier than iceberg? Does that make Iceberg lettuce bad for you?

An internet search will bring up hundreds of reviews on the subject. I liked this one (Aspartame – Truth vs Fiction « Science-Based Medicine ) that notes the facts good/bad and determines the following conclusion.

Exactly my point. Most anti-artificial-sweetener rhetoric is by folks who have never bothered to actually study the matter, they just heard from a relative, friend or co-worker that it was bad and bought into it hook, line and sinker. And then, once so convinced, often nothing will convince them otherwise. We had one lady in our ward tell us that the reason my wife hadn't been able to conceive was probably because we used Splenda. Uh....right. That must be it.

While I'm complaining, what' up with "all-natural", as if being "natural" is, in and of itself, a valuable quality?

Sorry. Rant over (for the moment, at least).

I remember one time coming across free-range cashews. It took me a few minutes to figure out that "free-range" was the brand name. Funny as stink either way. :D

Artificial sweeteners are only safe for consumption at low doses and are synthesized from other chemicals, which means, they carry far more risk than simple sugars. The obvious argument will be made that dosage level of simple sugars is also inherently risky, but they carry less side effects documented and undocumented. Too much sugar is bad , obviously, but at least it can filter it...more or less, whereas synthesized chemicals are suspicious by nature, given their engineered background.

Ironically, Monsanto is a huge producer of Aspartame and if anyone with any fear left in them, should be examining that chemical company with a microscope. Believe me, you'd be afraid.

The food and chemical industry have an obvious vested interest in maintaining that these ingredients are safe. What makes me cringe, is that people are confused that "diet" pop, is a weight loss item, which given the name and due to initial marketing, seems to be adopted as truth. If I was to choose, I would continue to drink less synthesized versions.

This study, by the FDA, points that seizures are possible with many other adverse affects.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

Another issue, is Sodium Nitrite, which is added to most meat and meat products, as it slows down decay by being a preservative. However, it is a known carcinogen, but as always, its considered "safe for human consumption". Add that to regular aspartame usage and other "fit for human consumption", chemicals and the cocktail just needs to be shaken and not stirred for wonderful results.

As always, dosage and life style make a huge difference. I am not attempting to fear monger, but simply encouraging more awareness of what you are consuming. Honestly, its best to avoid pop altogether, which most of us agree. Guilty pleasures, eh?

Pepsi over RC, RC over Coke. Actually darn near any soda over Coke.

Diet Coke over Diet Pepsi (preferably caffeine free...it has a sweeter taste).

Diet Mt. Dew over all of them.

That said, Propel Zero (grape) is my preferred drink most of the time. I go in phases of what I like after that. At work I get Diet Mt. Dew most nights. I get a 32 oz cup, half of which is ice and drink about half that before dumping it out and refilling again. So most work nights I figure I drink about 20-30 oz of Dew. During the summer I will use the 32 oz cup and make my own Hawaiian Punch and usually drink two during the night.

Caffeine only makes me pee more often. No headaches, no staying awake, no shakes etc.

Honestly, the whole caffeine argument is one of those Mormon Pharisee things we do. Some people don't consume it, fine, that is their choice. Those in that group who then try and denigrate/persecute the ones who do consume caffeine really need to take a step back. If consuming caffeine was as horrible a violation of the gospel as they say, we could not attend the temple, make and keep our covenants. If you don't keep the Word of Wisdom, you don't go the temple. Period. It is that simple.