ISIS and rapid expansion

pam

Does the rapid expansion and support of ISIS across the Middle East scare you just a little?  Or are we so far removed from it?

I will admit that it scares the heck out of me.  

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/16/africa/isis-libya-north-africa/index.html?sr=fb021715isis630aVODtopLink

I have read the Left Behind Series of the last days.  They used a guillotine to behead all of those that wouldn't convert to the new religion and stayed true to being a Christian.  I've thought, okay that would be quick. But the way ISIS beheads people today...scares me to death.  No pun intended.  Would I have the courage to remain true?  

Guest LiterateParakeet

In my attempts to understand trauma (in it's various forms, man made as in ISIS or abuse etc, or natural i.e. like earthquakes or plane crashes), I've decided that the Lord has provided protections for us.  I don't mean in the moment, I mean it is built into our brains.  

Denial is a good example of this.  When we think of a major disaster such as a plane crash, fire, earthquake etc, we imagine mass panic.  But that is not actually what happens.  People experience a sense of denial that keeps them calm.  Survivors of 911 talk about walking around their office (after it the building had been hit and they were told to evacuate because of fire) and casually grabbing some work files, making a quick call.  In the stairwells people walked calmly and talked quietly.

In this sense, denial is a blessing because it keeps you from a panic that worsens the situation.  The trouble is when people stay in denial too long, that can also be (and has been) a cause of death.

Another interesting thing the mind does is fight, flight or freeze.  We all know about fight or flight, but freeze is also a response your unconscious may choose for you if it determines that you running or fighting will not serve you.  Many rape victims struggle to explain to themselves and others why they didn't fight...but freeze response is unconscious just as a quickening of the heart and rapid breathing are.  Freezing can save animals in the wild from predators that prefer live meat.  It's really uncertain if it helps us humans much except that I wonder if with the "freeze" comes a state of calm.  In experiments done with animals that seems to be the case.  

Children often survive horrendous abuse and neglect through their ability to dissociate.  I've experienced this personally.  That anguish still needs to be dealt with later, but it can save the child in the moment.

Consider also the stories of people who have been wounded, in an accident or gun shot wound, who do not feel the physical pain until later.  In emergencies the brain can, and will, shut down senses or bodily functions (like bowel and bladder) that it deems unnecessary.  

I don't mean to minimize the terror of what ISIS is doing.   They must be stopped.  But I do find some comfort in my ability our brains have (as a God given gift) to protect us in such moments.  

I don't know if I would, pam, but I pray that I would never be in that situation.

I think Winston Churchill and George Will got it about right.  America will be trusted to do the right thing after all other options have been exhausted, and democracies are sluggish but will eventually act in response to genuine fear.  ISIS will reach a tipping point, and the nations of the world, including some Middle Eastern nations, will decide to erase ISIS from the map.

Sunday's priesthood lesson had the teacher mention the War of Armageddon happening at the Last Days. I generally don't look for the "signs" of the Last Days - despite my book Wind of Fire being about the Last Days - but the teachers fact of there being 200 million fighting made me think it was reasonable that we might just be headed into that battle. There are a billion Muslims and push come to shove they could unite in one cause despite their differences now. 

I don't think ISIS has the leadership today, but if we went all out war on them they could find that leader. 

I too worry about the state of ISIS in the USA. If small outbursts like those in Europe today were happening in the USA, there might be a militia raised against Islam as a whole. There are a LOT more guns here than in Europe. 

Has anyone noticed the lack of stories of Christians converting to Islam (or Jihadism, if you prefer)?  Yes, there have been a few, but, for the most part, these martyrs have indeed testified to the power of Christ's blood, by their willingness to partake in the fellowship of Christ's suffering.  Theirs is a special reward.  I have to believe that should the test come, the Holy Spirit will empower me to die in a manner that glorifies the Son.

Edited by prisonchaplain

I don't know if I would, pam, but I pray that I would never be in that situation.

I think Winston Churchill and George Will got it about right. America will be trusted to do the right thing after all other options have been exhausted, and democracies are sluggish but will eventually act in response to genuine fear. ISIS will reach a tipping point, and the nations of the world, including some Middle Eastern nations, will decide to erase ISIS from the map.

I think you're probably right; but it sure galls me to see these nations who spent the past three decades sneering about those gun-obsessed Americans with their inferior social services; suddenly screaming about "America neglecting its international responsibilities" when they find their backyards aflame and realize that national health care, eight weeks of paid vacation per year, and state-subsidized retirement at age 50 don't really protect your populace against a bunch of determined bad guys with guns. Edited by Just_A_Guy

Terrorism on our own soil is a legitimate concern.  One of the things that has always slowed down a new attack like 9/11 or a Beslan in the US is the American police officer.  The terrorists know we think differently than the police anywhere else in the world.  They think we are crazy because we will continue to feed ourselves into the "meat grinder" to stop these types of attacks.  They know this...but will someday try us again.

I just read an article about growing concern in Italy of an ISIS invasion from Libya. My son comes home from his mission March 6th....and we are very thankful.

I read about this. They want to reach the Vatican.

ISIS want to escalate things into the armageddon by doing what they are doing. They are not hiding their crimes, they are publicizing to attract more retaliation and eventually WW3. Everything is happening exactly how they want it to play out.

Christianity will win out over any religious war, as long as America remain a majority Christian population there will always be enough men and women willing to fight against ISIS or any other evil power.

Does the rapid expansion and support of ISIS across the Middle East scare you just a little?  Or are we so far removed from it?

I will admit that it scares the heck out of me.  

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/16/africa/isis-libya-north-africa/index.html?sr=fb021715isis630aVODtopLink

ya. but also so do the superpowers of the world.

Edited by Blackmarch