new study about cows and milk

Ironhold

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/16/533255590/alarming-number-of-americans-believe-chocolate-milk-comes-from-brown-cows

7% of people in a study said that they thought chocolate milk came from brown cows. 

As someone who lives in Central Texas, I think you can understand why this kind of thing makes folks want to laugh at "city slickers". 

5 hours ago, Ironhold said:

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/16/533255590/alarming-number-of-americans-believe-chocolate-milk-comes-from-brown-cows

7% of people in a study said that they thought chocolate milk came from brown cows. 

As someone who lives in Central Texas, I think you can understand why this kind of thing makes folks want to laugh at "city slickers". 

2 hours ago, person0 said:

If only 7% of our population were stupid, we wouldn't actually be too bad off.  The real problem is that 48% of the people surveyed said they didn't know where chocolate milk comes from.  That half of the country votes! :eek:

Now, that's not a fair survey.

The 7%, yes, they really are that stupid.  I honestly believe that.  I've come across too many stupid people to believe otherwise.

But the 48%?  No, it was the nature of the question.  The impression people got was that "chocolate milk" is made from chocolate and "a special kind of milk used for pre-mixed chocolate milk in the store."  By thinking it was a special kind of milk, it was either synthetic, or it was a specific breed of cows.

I know this because a somewhat less than intelligent friend thought exactly that.  And he simply didn't know which breed of cows.  That was what he meant by "I don't know."

In their minds it's the difference between real lemonade and Country Time.

Fun Anecdote to go along with this story:

My family was looking at LOTR souvenir swords online.  One listing showed a picture of Sting with an animation that showed it glowing blue when a figure of an orc was juxtaposed to it.  Then the caption flashed "Glows blue when orcs are near."

My BIL immediately thought that was the coolest thing in the world and asked,"How do they do that?  Would they make a portion of it perforated with tiny holes with a lighting mechanism inside the blade?"  Remember this was a collection of real steel, fully functional swords.

He continued for a few seconds providing possibilities and remarks on how great it would be to have such a sword.  Then I had to stop him and say,"Steven... Steven!  -- when orcs are near..."

Understanding dawning on his coutnenance, he performed a one handed clap. :doh:

Growing up on a farm, I used to love milking the brown cows because when I finished, we would have a ton of chocolate milk to drink. When I was done with that, my next chore was to pick all the pies off the pie tree. I would always get excited when I found a pumpkin pie on the pie tree. Most of those didn't make it back to the house.

In all seriousness (I didn't grow up on a farm), its' sad 7% of people are that dumb but not extremely surprising. Here's an article from Australia about younger people not knowing where food comes from. http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/kids-still-dont-know-where-their-food-comes-from-20140526-zrmk1.html

• "Three-quarters of Australian children in their final year of primary school believe cotton socks come from animals and 27 per cent are convinced yoghurt grows on trees,"
  • "A third of five-to-eight-year-olds believe that they [pasta and bread] are made from meat,"
  • "almost a third of the country's primary school children thought cheese was made from plants and a quarter thought fish fingers came from chicken or pigs."
  • The list goes on

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Larry Cotrell said:

Growing up on a farm, I used to love milking the brown cows because when I finished, we would have a ton of chocolate milk to drink. When I was done with that, my next chore was to pick all the pies off the pie tree. I would always get excited when I found a pumpkin pie on the pie tree. Most of those didn't make it back to the house.

lol. That's awesome. 

1 minute ago, Larry Cotrell said:

• "Three-quarters of Australian children in their final year of primary school believe cotton socks come from animals and 27 per cent are convinced yoghurt grows on trees,"
  • "A third of five-to-eight-year-olds believe that they [pasta and bread] are made from meat,"
  • "almost a third of the country's primary school children thought cheese was made from plants and a quarter thought fish fingers came from chicken or pigs."
  • The list goes on

I read somewhere that 10% of people still think Elvis is alive, so nothing surprises me anymore. 

55 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

my next chore was to pick all the pies off the pie tree. I would always get excited when I found a pumpkin pie on the pie tree. 

Come on.  Everyone knows that a pumpkin pie comes from a pumpkin pie tree and a cherry pie comes from a cherry pie tree.  Duh-uh.

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Come on.  Everyone knows that a pumpkin pie comes from a pumpkin pie tree and a cherry pie comes from a cherry pie tree.  Duh-uh.

If there was a pumpkin pie tree, I would build a treehouse and live there. I could reach out the window whenever I was hungry. Maybe thats what my house in heaven will be like.

8 hours ago, Ironhold said:

You can find 7% of the population that believes almost any stupid thing you can think up. Remember, almost half of the voting population cast their ballot for Hillary Clinton. "Chocolate milk comes from brown cows" does not sound nearly as ludicrous and horrific as "President Hillary Clinton".

28 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

If there was a pumpkin pie tree, I would build a treehouse and live there. I could reach out the window whenever I was hungry. Maybe thats what my house in heaven will be like.

You know, I do have to admit that I like pumpkin pies.  But my favorite would be a really good apple pie.

I just recently had an apple pie that was just awful.  It used red delicious instead of granny smith.  There was virtually no sauce.  And I don't think they even added any sugar into it.  What were they thinking?  I guess it was off the red delicious apple pie tree instead of the granny smith apple pie tree. ;)

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I just recently had an apple pie that was just awful.  It used red delicious instead of granny smith.  There was virtually no sauce.  And I don't think they even added any sugar into it.  What were they thinking?  I guess it was off the red delicious apple pie tree instead of the granny smith apple pie tree. ;)

As a child, I loved Red Delicious apples. Now I think eating one is like eating sweetened cardboard.

Interesting to hear your take on apple pies. Nothing is better than a good apple pie. But for me, in addition to the requisite flaky crust, a "good" apple pie is one that is tart and not too sweet, isn't dripping with "sauce", and isn't overcooked so that the apples are mushy. Sadly, too-sweet apple pies are the norm, and are the most common way to ruin an otherwise good apple pie.

An apple pie cooked right can taste very good even if it's made with Delicious apples, though Granny Smiths are the apple pie standard.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

As a child, I loved Red Delicious apples. Now I think eating one is like eating sweetened cardboard.

Interesting to hear your take on apple pies. Nothing is better than a good apple pie. But for me, in addition to the requisite flaky crust, a "good" apple pie is one that is tart and not too sweet, isn't dripping with "sauce", and isn't overcooked so that the apples are mushy. Sadly, too-sweet apple pies are the norm, and are the most common way to ruin an otherwise good apple pie.

An apple pie cooked right can taste very good even if it's made with Delicious apples, though Granny Smiths are the apple pie standard.

I think even you would not have liked this pie.  It really had NOTHING sweet about it.  And the crust was about like soft rigid foam.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

You should try my mock apple pie. I make it with cardboard. Tastes as good as the real thing.

3 hours ago, Vort said:

I only ate apples even as a kid because I was told it would "keep the doctor away", and not because I found them delicious. That probably has to do with why I never wanted to believe that the "forbidden fruit" would have been an apple. I notice more and more producers of media portrayals seem to feel the same way. 

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

I only ate apples even as a kid because I was told it would "keep the doctor away", and not because I found them delicious. That probably has to do with why I never wanted to believe that the "forbidden fruit" would have been an apple. I notice more and more producers of media portrayals seem to feel the same way. 

I am a native of the state of Washington. We are required by law to love apples.

13 hours ago, Ironhold said:

I could be wrong about this, but its my understanding that the main ingredient of chocolate milk does indeed come from brown cows - and white cows and black cows, and spotted cows. 

On 7/15/2017 at 3:03 AM, Ironhold said:

I think it is more interesting that 93% of people don't know chocolate milk comes from brown cows xD

IMG_0168.PNG

Edited by Fether

On 2017-7-15 at 11:12 AM, Vort said:

You can find 7% of the population that believes almost any stupid thing you can think up. Remember, almost half of the voting population cast their ballot for Hillary Clinton. "Chocolate milk comes from brown cows" does not sound nearly as ludicrous and horrific as "President Hillary Clinton".

They're called liberal snowflakes. 

On 2017-7-15 at 9:30 AM, Larry Cotrell said:

"Three-quarters of Australian children in their final year of primary school believe cotton socks come from animals 

The reason for this is because "cotton" is called "cotton wool."  So a cotton ball is a cotton wool ball. All yarn for knitting and crocheting is also called "wool" no matter what it's made of. My wife is an Aussie and she uses these terms.