My Bishop took my temple recommend away unfairly. How can I contest his decision?

JayKi

2 hours ago, JayKi said:

Is frustrating because I live in England a long time now but I can't always express what I want to say in English. Where I live is hard to learn because lot of people use slang and have accents. If there is no major mistake then I will pass test and continue my study in England :) Is very obvious I not native speaker ?

This is how a native speaker might write it:

It is very frustrating because I have lived in England for a long time now but I can't always express what I want to say in English. Where I live, it is hard to learn because a lot of people use slang and have accents. If there is no major mistake then I will pass the test and continue my study in England. Is it very obvious that I am not a native speaker?

5 hours ago, JayKi said:

Is frustrating because I live in England a long time now but I can't always express what I want to say in English. Where I live is hard to learn because lot of people use slang and have accents. If there is no major mistake then I will pass test and continue my study in England :) Is very obvious I not native speaker ?

Here is how I would say it.  As you will see the issue is minor, but obvious that you are not a native speaker.  Unfortunately, most foreigners won't correct you.  I've spent 25 years speaking Japanese and still make many mistakes, but hardly anyone will correct me because they understand what I say and they don't want to insult me or bother teaching me.  I a little frustrating.

It is frustrating because I have lived in England a long time now, but can't always express what I want to say in English. Where I live it's hard to learn because a lot of people use slang and have accents. If there are no major mistakes then I should pass the test and continue my studies in England.  Is it very obvious that I am not a native speaker ?

On 2018-04-27 at 12:11 PM, JayKi said:

No she still come to my wedding I already buy her ticket and my family want to meet her. I just tell her I can't hangout with her until my fiancee live with me then we all be friend together.  

Accent reduction may help. This professor is popular. https://youtu.be/nkQ7lwEWeGA

A fast way to make a foreign accent easier for an English speaker to understand is to emphasis the consonants especially at the end of words. Pause at the end of sentences. 

• pam featured this topic
14 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

Here is how I would say it.  As you will see the issue is minor, but obvious that you are not a native speaker.  Unfortunately, most foreigners won't correct you.  I've spent 25 years speaking Japanese and still make many mistakes, but hardly anyone will correct me because they understand what I say and they don't want to insult me or bother teaching me.  I a little frustrating.

It is frustrating because I have lived in England a long time now, but can't always express what I want to say in English. Where I live it's hard to learn because a lot of people use slang and have accents. If there are no major mistakes then I should pass the test and continue my studies in England.  Is it very obvious that I am not a native speaker ?

Have is a word I dont understand, when I was learn before I move to England I was told have mean I posses. I have 4 sister. I have black shoes. In England they use like you, "I have lived in England". I interpret it as I posses lived in England, which doesn't make sense. I think you mean the same as I lived in England a long time now.  

5 minutes ago, JayKi said:

Have is a word I dont understand, when I was learn before I move to England I was told have mean I posses. I have 4 sister. I have black shoes. In England they use like you, "I have lived in England". I interpret it as I posses lived in England, which doesn't make sense. I think you mean the same as I lived in England a long time now.  

Using have before another verb creates the Perfect Form.  Google search "Perfect Form"  You can find a brief description in the link below.

https://leo.stcloudstate.edu/grammar/tenses.html

In the example above, it is the Present Perfect Tense.  It means that you were doing an action (living) for some time and your are still doing that action.

It has nothing to do with possessing something in this usage.

You are not quite right with what you think it means.  Close, but a little different.

"I have lived in England for a week",  "I have lived in England for a day",  "I have lived in England for 10 years", "I have lived in England"

It can be a little confusing because you can say "I have lived in England before"  When you add the word before, it means that you aren't doing it now, but you did something in the past.

Some of these grammar tenses aren't used in some other languages.  I have been speaking (present perfect progressive tense) Japanese for 25 years.  Japanese doesn't use all of the tenses that English uses.  So you have to find other ways of saying what you want to say.

I used to teach English in Japan many many years ago.  Verb tenses were always a challenge.  Usually taught best with many examples.

57 minutes ago, JayKi said:

You have the exact same verb in Spanish: haber. You use it as an auxiliary (or "helper") verb, just as English speakers do; Yo he hablado "I have spoken".

Centuries ago, Spanish speakers also used haber to mean "to possess", just like in English. For some reason, Spanish (and Portuguese) speakers started using the verb tener ("to hold"; ter in Portuguese) when talking about possessing something as a substitute for haber. Soon, it took over all uses of haber outside of (1) auxiliary verb use and (2) the specific uses hay ("there is/are") and hay que ("must" or "have to", used in the passive voice -- note here the identical English usage of the verb "to have (to)").

Other Latin languages show that Spanish and Portuguese changed from the original meaning. Italian continues to use its form, avere, to mean "have" in the same sense as both the Spanish tener and haber. (Note that Italian has another verb, tenere, that means "to hold"; it is used almost identically to the English verb "hold", but it is not used in the general sense that the Spanish tener is used.) French is the same; its form, avoir, is used like English to have and Italian avere. Spanish and Portuguese are the odd men out in this verb's usage.

• pam unfeatured this topic

I'm sorry but I can't hold this in any longer.

If some guy were spending that kind of time with my wife, and sending her texts like that, and ignoring my concerns... my Bishop would have to pull my recommend too because said guy would be picking his teeth up off the floor, fellow churchmember or not.  And I am certainly not a violent person.

It's another guy's wife, man!  You can't play around with that kind of relationship!  It goes both ways.  There's no way my wife would tolerate that sort of thing if I tried to have another woman as a buddy either.  This toys around with some of the deepest primal human instincts and that's why sexual sin is so harmful.

I'm of Latino blood too and in that culture a man generally doesn't spend that kind of time with a woman unless he's working an angle, and I don't buy this innocent act.  There are some pretty strict cultural protocols in that part of the world.  Sorry, but my spider sense is tingling here.  

Sounds to me like that Bishop was right.

On 5/10/2018 at 8:29 PM, unixknight said:

I'm sorry but I can't hold this in any longer.

If some guy were spending that kind of time with my wife, and sending her texts like that, and ignoring my concerns... my Bishop would have to pull my recommend too because said guy would be picking his teeth up off the floor, fellow churchmember or not.  And I am certainly not a violent person.

It's another guy's wife, man!  You can't play around with that kind of relationship!  It goes both ways.  There's no way my wife would tolerate that sort of thing if I tried to have another woman as a buddy either.  This toys around with some of the deepest primal human instincts and that's why sexual sin is so harmful.

I'm of Latino blood too and in that culture a man generally doesn't spend that kind of time with a woman unless he's working an angle, and I don't buy this innocent act.  There are some pretty strict cultural protocols in that part of the world.  Sorry, but my spider sense is tingling here.  

Sounds to me like that Bishop was right.

Well my stake pres disagree with you and the bishop so you are wrong

Guest MormonGator
Just now, JayKi said:

As long I dont lose recommend again before wedding I dont care if I wrong, but I not wrong 

I was addressing your preposterous comment where you said/inferred that people who are wrong  say  they "stand by what they said". @unixknight is exactly right. 

On 4/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, zil said:

I once heard a quote (don't remember who said it, can't remember the exact words) that was something like: "There's nothing a man finds more attractive than a woman in love with him."

Could it have been from The Sound of Music? I seem to remember the Baroness saying something like that to Maria before she ran back to the abbey.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see the ending here.

Marriage is very sacred. Your spouse is supposed to be your best friend. If ever a youngman comes into your life (after you are married) and starts taking your wife on dates and texting to her how beautiful she is You better put him in his place. I am sure your wife won't be stupid enough to let that happen but you know what to do worst case.

I think it was cool you came and apologized to these people that were just looking out for you.

Have a great week

32 minutes ago, Lee said:

What were you wrong about? Your bishop being wrong or your friendship being inappropriate ?

I think i right about bishop being wrong but i wrong about friendship. Even though it platonic to me is not to her and now there is problem that is a little my fault.