Loose House Cats

Traveler

16 minutes ago, pam said:

A bear, a lion, a tiger, a skunk, should I go on?  

Believe it or not I knew a man who had a pet skunk. His house didn't smell bad since skunks only spray in self-defense...but I wouldn't take that risk.

22 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Prime, flank, t-bone, ribeye… yeah, there’s lots of cat lovers. @mirkwood how many cats per person should a family have for food storage? What if you’re a dog lover?

Off topic, but a former member of this forum really helped me out when it came to how much extra dog food I should keep on hand. Very helpful. 

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Off topic, but a former member of this forum really helped me out when it came to how much extra dog food I should keep on hand. Very helpful. 

What was the answer?

The current state of cat containment laws where I used to live:

Cats born from 1 July 2022 must be contained

Cat containment has been extended across the ACT for cats born on or after 1 July 2022. Containment means keeping your cat on your premises 24 hours a day. This can include your house or apartment, an enclosed area in a backyard or courtyard, or a cat crate.

Cats born before 1 July 2022 do not have to be contained, unless they live in one of the 17 currently declared cat containment suburbs.

https://www.cityservices.act.gov.au/pets-and-wildlife/domestic-animals/cats/cat-containment

5 hours ago, popatr said:

My cat has GREAT joy in going outside and it would seem cruel to me to deny him, even if his life is shorter and riskier because of it.

I have no problem with your cat or anyone else’s being outside.  I do have a problem with someone (anyone) that thinks it is okay or not a problem for their cat (pet) to be on my property.  Perhaps we can come to a compromise?  How about owners of private property capturing free ranging cats (pets) on their private property with humane traps and returning them to their owner for a $150 fee?

What people do in private on their private property is (with some exceptions) their private right.  I am, however, not impressed by the logic (or rather lack of logic) of those, that by design, share their living quarters with non-humans.  If an animal enjoys being outside – why would someone think to have such inside?  When someone tells me that they love animals and love being around them – sure I think it is odd that someone would live in the natural habitats of animals but how can they say they love animals and force, coerce or brainwash them to live in the environment of the human species habitats?

The Traveler

5 hours ago, scottyg said:

Out of curiosity, why cruel? Do you feel any kind of animal should be left outside?

Why should any animal be forced to live in any environment other than what it was designed by G-d for?

The Traveler

10 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

The current state of cat containment laws where I used to live:

Cats born from 1 July 2022 must be contained

Cat containment has been extended across the ACT for cats born on or after 1 July 2022. Containment means keeping your cat on your premises 24 hours a day. This can include your house or apartment, an enclosed area in a backyard or courtyard, or a cat crate.

Cats born before 1 July 2022 do not have to be contained, unless they live in one of the 17 currently declared cat containment suburbs.

https://www.cityservices.act.gov.au/pets-and-wildlife/domestic-animals/cats/cat-containment

I know the UK has a dangerous dogs act, where they ban certain breeds. Do you guys down under have that?

2 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I know the UK has a dangerous dogs act, where they ban certain breeds. Do you guys down under have that?

I know many apartment complexes won't rent to you if you have certain breeds of dogs.  I haven't heard if there is an out and out ban of any certain breed.  

41 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

It varies from one jurisdiction to another. In the ACT the legislation doesn't mention specific breeds, it refers to dangerous behaviour by any dog. Despite the huge number of animal lives that cats take each they are not considered to be dangerous. 

22 Declarations—dangerous dogs (1) The registrar must declare a dog to be a dangerous dog if— (a) the dog has been trained as a guard dog, or is kept as a guard dog for guarding premises; or (b) the dog has attacked and caused the death of or serious injury to a person; or (c) a decision has been made under a law of a State in relation to the dog, the effect of which is comparable to a declaration under this section. (2) The registrar may declare a dog to be a dangerous dog if— (a) the dog has attacked or harassed a person or animal; or (b) the registrar reasonably believes the dog— (i) is aggressive or menacing; and (ii) without being kept in accordance with a dangerous dog licence, would be an unacceptable risk to the safety of the public or other animals. (3) In making a decision under subsection (2), the registrar must consider the circumstances surrounding the attack or harassment. (4) Subsection (3) does not limit the matters the registrar may consider. (5) If the registrar makes a declaration under this section, the registrar must give written notice to a keeper of the dog. Note For how documents may be given, see the Legislation Act, pt 19.5. (6) The notice must— (a) contain a statement to the effect that the registrar has declared the dog to be a dangerous dog; 

Domestic Animals Act 2000

image.png

Edited by askandanswer

5 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

The registrar may declare a dog to be a dangerous dog if— (a) the dog has attacked or harassed a person or animal

No wolf whistles. Got it.

6 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Despite the huge numbers of murders that cats commit every year, cats are not considered to be dangerous

My son tells me that if someone tried to attack you by hacking a Roomba they can have it try to trip you down the stairs. That’s right, his dystopian future has Skynet creating robot cats.

22 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

It varies from one jurisdiction to another. In the ACT the legislation doesn't mention specific breeds, it refers to dangerous behaviour by any dog. Despite the huge number of animal lives that cats take each they are not considered to be dangerous. 

22 Declarations—dangerous dogs (1) The registrar must declare a dog to be a dangerous dog if— (a) the dog has been trained as a guard dog, or is kept as a guard dog for guarding premises; or (b) the dog has attacked and caused the death of or serious injury to a person; or (c) a decision has been made under a law of a State in relation to the dog, the effect of which is comparable to a declaration under this section. (2) The registrar may declare a dog to be a dangerous dog if— (a) the dog has attacked or harassed a person or animal; or (b) the registrar reasonably believes the dog— (i) is aggressive or menacing; and (ii) without being kept in accordance with a dangerous dog licence, would be an unacceptable risk to the safety of the public or other animals. (3) In making a decision under subsection (2), the registrar must consider the circumstances surrounding the attack or harassment. (4) Subsection (3) does not limit the matters the registrar may consider. (5) If the registrar makes a declaration under this section, the registrar must give written notice to a keeper of the dog. Note For how documents may be given, see the Legislation Act, pt 19.5. (6) The notice must— (a) contain a statement to the effect that the registrar has declared the dog to be a dangerous dog; 

Domestic Animals Act 2000

image.png

The shirt is just a joke. Even though I’ve owned several “pit bulls” I have no issue with some of those laws. 

IMG_3017.webp

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I have no problem with your cat or anyone else’s being outside.  I do have a problem with someone (anyone) that thinks it is okay or not a problem for their cat (pet) to be on my property.  Perhaps we can come to a compromise?  How about owners of private property capturing free ranging cats (pets) on their private property with humane traps and returning them to their owner for a $150 fee?

What people do in private on their private property is (with some exceptions) their private right.  I am, however, not impressed by the logic (or rather lack of logic) of those, that by design, share their living quarters with non-humans.  If an animal enjoys being outside – why would someone think to have such inside?  When someone tells me that they love animals and love being around them – sure I think it is odd that someone would live in the natural habitats of animals but how can they say they love animals and force, coerce or brainwash them to live in the environment of the human species habitats?

The Traveler

I'm with you there.  I don't want to live with animals but everyone else in my house does.  Fundamentally, a  housecat is pretty poor company and makes it harder to go away for a few days.

A dog is better company but a bigger pain in the butt so all in all I'm glad we have a cat if we must have something.

4 hours ago, scottyg said:

Believe it or not I knew a man who had a pet skunk. His house didn't smell bad since skunks only spray in self-defense...but I wouldn't take that risk.

I don't blame you one bit on that one. But out of curiosity, did they name it Sylvester due to the coloring?  :)   

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Why should any animal be forced to live in any environment other than what it was designed by G-d for?

The Traveler

It's hard to clean much from one sentence, but do you believe God designed these types of cats to be indoor animals only? Ours have never shown any desire to come inside. They only meow at the door morning and evening for food if they didn't catch any themselves. Should I force them to come in and be uncomfortable?

What about all types of animals you see on a farm...am I under condemnation for having my chickens penned up? Anyone who has a horse or cattle needs to let them go and run free I guess. Can kids no longer have pet goldfish or ant farms? Your statement also seems to imply that you are opposed to zoo's as well.

16 hours ago, popatr said:

I'm with you there.  I don't want to live with animals but everyone else in my house does.  Fundamentally, a  housecat is pretty poor company and makes it harder to go away for a few days.

A dog is better company but a bigger pain in the butt so all in all I'm glad we have a cat if we must have something.

This is truly sad.  It is a story as old a time.  Children beg for a pet, promise to do all the care, feeding and clean up.  The parents give in and get the pet.  It is lucky if the children fulfill their promise for a full week.  The caretaker end up the true lover of living creatures that wanted them living elsewhere. 

There is, however, another dimension.  For whatever reason the sloppy caretaker becomes the most emotionally attached and overlooks all of the downside.  I am somewhat convinced that the worse of these sloppy care takers are most often attached to cats.  I speculate that this is because cats are mostly solitary and happy to care for themselves.  As an owner of rental properties – cats are the worse.  Carpets become stained with cat urine.  Dogs can be trained by not by a sloppy owner.  It is a scientific fact that humans become custom to odor and can no longer smell it – our brains filter out the smell of a particular odor.  This unfortunate oversight happens to smokers and pet owners that keep their pets in their homes.  It is not uncommon at all, that most pet owners swear and believe their darling pet is not a problem – but these pet owners are the worse.  I would rather have a renter say, “If my pet ever relieved itself indoors, I would kill it” than the renter that says, “My pet is well trained, and house broken and never relives itself improperly.” Though both are exaggerating – one does not want it to happen the other would never know if it did.  

The Traveler