Am I too weird here? Shoelaces in Primary.

Backroads

Years ago, shortly into my career as a teacher, I made a decision to not tie kids' shoelaces. Why? Someone mentioned loose laces in the bathroom and I have since been permanently disgusted.

Today, one of my wigglier CTR 5-year-olds inexplicably untied his shoes to show his friend, started licking the shoelaces, and then asked me to tie them. This was all during the scripture and talk in sharing tie them.

My refusal to tie shoes came into play, especially with the licking. 

Finally, one of the presidency comes over to tie his shoes. I don't know if she noticed me refusing. I also did not inform her of the shoelace licking.

No one said anything to me or even looked at me like I failed, but I kind of feel like a heel.

Yet I stand by this kid gross shoelace boundary.

Edited by Backroads

13 hours ago, Backroads said:

Finally, one of the presidency comes over to tie his shoes. I don't know if she noticed me refusing. I also did not inform her of the shoelace licking.

I would have waited until she was almost finished and...

You might want to wash your hands now.
She may or may not have asked "why?" or simply said "ok".  But then I'd add:
You don't know what he did those laces that made me refuse to tie them.

Disgust, understanding, and respect all rolled into one.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:08 PM, Backroads said:

Today, one of my wigglier CTR 5-year-olds inexplicably untied his shoes to show his friend, started licking the shoelaces, and then asked me to tie them.

Children often want to do "big boy" things but are still developing the necessary skills to see it through. It's a balance for adults to let them struggle for the long-term success vs doing it for them and expediting the short-term. In this case I think I would have finished what he started and eaten the shoe strings.

5 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

If you suck on them first they'll swell after they're tied and make it even harder to untie them.

Where's the green-faced aspirating-vomit-while-laughing emoji?