mission and gym

zpeel05

As the subject suggests, I'm a gym bro. Ever since I started working out it has been my life. I wouldn't give up training for the world because I'm so passionate about this and slowly but surely becoming lean and aesthetic has been a fulfilling journey.

I feel like ever since I started working out a little over a year ago I've been in conflict with the church's doctrine. My parents are always telling me to work out less (currently on a 6-day ~9hr/week split) and that my gains a temporary as I will simply lose them once I leave on a mission. Just today my dad told me that I won't have my muscles in Heaven and that the only things you take is family, ordinances, life choices, etc. I think it's ridiculous how I'm being ridiculed for doing something as basic as exercising. 

I've decided that I won't be serving a mission at all if it means I can't work out. How is this even an issue? Granted, missionaries are allotted 30 mins for exercising, but for me that's merely than a pitiful ration, even when disregarding commute times to the gym and back. Even if I went full Mike Mentzer style it wouldn't work and besides, I shouldn't have to do that to begin with. When I raise my concerns to the bishopric, teachers, etc. I'm met with this "he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." (Matthew 10:39) sorta answer that isn't very satisfying. It seems like all this flies in the face of the whole "Word of Wisdom" and "the body is a temple" thing. I've worked so hard and I see no reason why I should lose my gains now, later in life, or after I die. (Will I take my gains with me to the next life? I don't wanna be a shredded dad my whole life only to be skinny in heaven with my family eternally; that would be stupid.)

tl;dr - don't wanna serve a mission bc it means I can't work out and I think that's dumb

I think the reason you don't want to go on a mission is totally dumb.  And extremely vain and selfish. Sounds like all you can think about is yourself.  Such a shallow shallow person.  I hope you don't go on a mission to represent the Church with that kind of attitude.

15 hours ago, zpeel05 said:

As the subject suggests, I'm a gym bro. Ever since I started working out it has been my life. I wouldn't give up training for the world because I'm so passionate about this and slowly but surely becoming lean and aesthetic has been a fulfilling journey.

I feel like ever since I started working out a little over a year ago I've been in conflict with the church's doctrine. My parents are always telling me to work out less (currently on a 6-day ~9hr/week split) and that my gains a temporary as I will simply lose them once I leave on a mission. Just today my dad told me that I won't have my muscles in Heaven and that the only things you take is family, ordinances, life choices, etc. I think it's ridiculous how I'm being ridiculed for doing something as basic as exercising. 

I've decided that I won't be serving a mission at all if it means I can't work out. How is this even an issue? Granted, missionaries are allotted 30 mins for exercising, but for me that's merely than a pitiful ration, even when disregarding commute times to the gym and back. Even if I went full Mike Mentzer style it wouldn't work and besides, I shouldn't have to do that to begin with. When I raise my concerns to the bishopric, teachers, etc. I'm met with this "he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." (Matthew 10:39) sorta answer that isn't very satisfying. It seems like all this flies in the face of the whole "Word of Wisdom" and "the body is a temple" thing. I've worked so hard and I see no reason why I should lose my gains now, later in life, or after I die. (Will I take my gains with me to the next life? I don't wanna be a shredded dad my whole life only to be skinny in heaven with my family eternally; that would be stupid.)

tl;dr - don't wanna serve a mission bc it means I can't work out and I think that's dumb

zpeel, I can feel your frustration, and you have my sympathy. But you're mistaken. I don't think I can put this in any way that will make sense to you, but let me try.

Think of a stunningly beautiful young woman. This young woman is so incredibly beautiful because she won the genetic lottery and just happens to have a willowy body, a gorgeous face with perfectly proportioned features, a soft, buttery, flawless complexion, and cascading hair that perfectly accentuates her other attributes. But in addition to his, she follows a strict beauty regime of diet, exercise, skin care, and sparse but effective use of makeup.

One day, God says to this young woman (perhaps through a bishop or other ecclesiastical leader, or through her parents, or directly to her), "I want you to go forth and serve me in such-and-such capacity." The young woman responds, "I can't do that. I have to take care of my skin. I spend over an hour a day just on my hair! My workout routine won't take care of itself, and it takes me time to prepare my food so I can follow my diet regimen strictly."

What is this beautiful young woman saying? In effect, she is saying, "God, you may want me to do such-and-such a thing, but I'm not going to do it. I'm much too involved in keeping myself perfectly beautiful. I realize you want me to serve you and perform service and maybe miracles among your children, but my beauty regimen is far too important to me to make such a sacrifice."

Is this a moral issue? You bet it's a moral issue. God, who has given this young woman all the gifts she now enjoys, requires something of her, but she won't give it. Why not? Vanity. Foolishness. Ingratitude. This young woman would literally rather people suffer from lack of her ministration than give up her vanity, think of others more than herself, and dedicate herself to her Father's work. As a result, she will never gain the infinite blessings she might have gained. She will have traded those priceless, eternal blessings for a mess of pottage called "being pretty".

The irony here is that all of her beauty will quickly fade within a few years—if she's very, very lucky, within a few decades—and leave her with nothing of substance. She'll be just another old lady, someone who used to be stunningly beautiful when she was young, perhaps still "well-preserved" but no longer admired universally for her matchless beauty. Because her beauty was transitory, the beauty of youth, the kind of beauty that inevitably fades away.

You have been given blessings from your Father. You have also been given commandments and expectations regarding your duty to God. You are given the opportunity to live the law of sacrifice, wherein you put your own desires aside and do what God wants you to do. You have been (or will be) given the Priesthood of Jesus Christ, authorizing you to literally act in Christ's name. And you want to give up these tremendous eternal blessings—why? So you can lift weights and be shredded?

My advice to you is: Put aside those vain ambitions. If you really care that much about bodybuilding, take a year or two after you return from your mission to get back your coveted physique. In the meantime, go serve your God by doing whatever it is he requires of you, including giving up bodybuilding for a time. Don't lift; don't even think about it. Put your mind to your service.

Do your duty; that is best. Leave unto the Lord the rest.

Edited by Vort

I get the feeling you and I would get along really well because I also love to work out. I can totally see being obsessed it with it-I was obsessed with martial arts and hiking too about twenty years ago. Often I’d use vacation days at work to hike, go to karate six times a week, etc. I’d also run a lot too. 

I love your commitment, but it will have a price. You’ll begin to get so full of yourself and fascinated by your own abilities that it’ll stunt your growth in other areas. Believe me, I speak from experience. 

Do you think you could use your commitment and drive and commit to serving a mission? Or at least trying to serve a mission?

D&C 76:71-79

71 And again, we saw the terrestrial world, ...

78 Wherefore, they are bodies terrestrial, and not bodies celestial, and differ in glory as the moon differs from the sun.

79 These are they who are not valiant in the testimony of Jesus; wherefore, they obtain not the crown over the kingdom of our God.

Irony: Pursuit of the perfect mortal body over obedience to God will yield in eternity at best a terrestrial body - one as much less in glory compared to a celestial body as the moon differs from the sun in brightness.  You may have it in mortality (until age or injury or disease takes it from you), but then in eternity you will end with something far less (in other words, your efforts will have been for naught).  Set your sights on something greater - the glory of God - regardless of the consequences.

Edited by zil2

10 hours ago, zpeel05 said:

This sounds terrific.  It sounds that you have been working hard and found a great and fulfilling way to stay fit.  It is good to take care of your body.  It used to be taught that our bodies were temples.  They are special places for our soul and the better we treat and take care of it, the better it can be for us. 

I'm not sure why working out would be in conflict with the church's doctrine.  As long as you are keeping other commandments and able to support yourself, I would think working out could go hand in hand with the gospel.  As I mentioned above, taking care of ourselves can actually be seen as part of the Word of Wisdom (a part that is ignored in many instances).  I'm not sure why you would be ridiculed for exercising. 

In times past, man had far more physical labor in general throughout their lives to keep them physically fit.  In today's society, though there ARE jobs that do this, many occupations are more inside based.  Exercising in a gym can make up for part of this loss, but we still are trying to make up a deficit of physical activity. 

Now, as you will die (as we all do) the muscles that you build up in this life will probably decay as your body decays and decomposes.  That's just how nature works once a body is dead.  The good news is that this is not permanent.  We will rise up in a perfected body.  The body you have in the ressurection will probably be even better than the one you develop on the Earth.  I expect that you will have muscles in the resurrection, and even better, if you have any maladies that you suffer from now, those will also be gone and you will have a perfect body.

That said, the focuses that you learn in this life, such as how to take care of yourself and to keep fit, will also be of benefit to you in the next life with your resurrected body.  The way it is applied and the applications may vary from individual to individual, but what we learn in this life we can take with us into the next.  One of the things we are here to do is to learn, and hopefully you are learning many things about the gospel and about yourself.

I've decided that I won't be serving a mission at all if it means I can't work out. How is this even an issue? Granted, missionaries are allotted 30 mins for exercising, but for me that's merely than a pitiful ration, even when disregarding commute times to the gym and back. Even if I went full Mike Mentzer style it wouldn't work and besides, I shouldn't have to do that to begin with. When I raise my concerns to the bishopric, teachers, etc. I'm met with this "he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." (Matthew 10:39) sorta answer that isn't very satisfying. It seems like all this flies in the face of the whole "Word of Wisdom" and "the body is a temple" thing.

I can tell this is a difficult decision for you.  How much you could or could not exercise will be mission dependent if you go on a proselyting mission.  I've known missionaries that spent a great deal of time working out and exercising.  I've also known those who didn't have much time to do so.  I think it depends heavily on what mission you go to, who your mission president is, and what availability you have in your areas to exercise or workout.  Even in areas where you will HAVE to exercise a lot, it may not be the type of exercise you wish to do.  A prime example would be an area I knew of where the missionaries covered an area around 50 miles wide and 75 miles long.  It was a rural area and they were on bikes.  They biked for hours each day.  They got a LOT of exercise and a LOT of workouts with biking.  That's not the same as lifting weights in a gym though.

If you choose to go on a proselyting mission, it would be a gamble on whether you would be able to end up in one where you can workout as you desire.  I would still highly encourage you to go on one, but you should know that if one is honest, the odds probably are not in your favor on this one for being able to continue to workout as you wish.  It comes down to a personal choice on your part as to whether you would be willing to give up the amount of workouts you do for two years and serve the Lord, having faith that he will make all things possible if you have trust in him, or whether you will choose a different path.

LUCKILY, a proselyting mission is NOT the only way to serve a mission these days.  There are many that do not wish to serve a proselyting mission or cannot serve a proselyting mission.  Instead, many are chosen to go on a service mission.  A service mission is still a mission and you would still be a missionary.  The amount of time you spend doing service varies depending on the mission.  The advantage this would give  you is that you could still be a missionary.  You could still serve the Lord and be a missionary in the Lord's service.  At the same time, you would almost definitely have enough time to continue your workout regimen at the gym at the same (or greater if you so desired) pace that you have been having.  I would suggest that if you decide a proselyting mission is not for you, that perhaps investigating to see whether a service mission would be the right fit for you or not. 

I've worked so hard and I see no reason why I should lose my gains now, later in life, or after I die. (Will I take my gains with me to the next life? I don't wanna be a shredded dad my whole life only to be skinny in heaven with my family eternally; that would be stupid.)

Take a look at being a service missionary.  As a service missionary and serving a service mission there is no reason why you could not continue being a "gym-bro" if you so wanted to be. 

As far as your gains later in life, I hope you luck.  It can get harder to keep up the muscles and tone as you get older.  You have a different body at 70 than when you were young.  However, you can still be physically fit.  The lessons that you learn about exercise and remaining fit should stay with you throughout your life.  It is up to you to continue to be focused enough to practice it.  If you remain dedicated, even as your body ages and the changes of age come upon you, the lessons that you have learned and what you have built upon can help you remain in good shape and healthy for a long time. 

In the same way, in the eternities, you can take the lessons you learned here.  It WILL be a new body.  It will be a better body.  The lessons you learn in this life that help with eternal growth will remain with you. 

I think it is a mistake to think that just because you work out that you think you cannot serve a mission.  There are different types of missions.  If a proselyting mission (what most think of when a person goes on a mission) is not for you, look at some of the other forms of missions that you can go on (and I've know several young men that have gone on service missions.  They are considered just as important as proselyting missions and those who serve faithfully are just as much returned missionaries as any other missionary when their mission is over). 

Now if there are OTHER reasons besides just a desire to work out that prevent you from going on a mission, you should probably bring those items up and be honest about them.  Blaming it all on the gym and your focus there is not really a good reason for not going on a mission.  As I said, there are different types of missions and most (of the types of missions besides proselyting) would accommodate even the most extreme gym workout schedules.  However, there may be other reasons one does not want to go on a mission.  If it is another reason, be honest about that and approach it in that manner rather than blaming the innocent gym and gym-bro culture.  If it is another reason, explaining that to others (though your parents may still not like or want to discuss these things, others might) could be a better way of understanding what it is about a mission that you do not want to experience or go with.

If it is truly just the gym and workouts that you do not wish to lose, once again, I'll stress for you to look at other types of missions which still allow you to become a missionary and serve the lord, but also allow you to do the type and quality of workouts which you so desire to do.

Edited by JohnsonJones

13 hours ago, zpeel05 said:

My parents are always telling me to work out less (currently on a 6-day ~9hr/week split) and that my gains a temporary as I will simply lose them once I leave on a mission. Just today my dad told me that I won't have my muscles in Heaven

The idea that you're going to lose all your muscles on your mission is probably not correct. 

I had a companion who was a state level wrestler in high school.  He also worked on the family dairy farm and baled plenty of hay.  He was a stark contrast to my then 125 lb, 5'-7" frame.  He was only an inch taller with about 60 more lbs. And it was all muscle.  He maintained 4% body fat.

In his 30 min exercise time, he'd make good use of it.  He'd simply do the standard push-ups, sit-ups, and other calisthenics -- and a whole lot of isometrics.  He also did something that I've never seen before or since.  It was somewhat similar to a plank. But it was in a very strange position which I can't easily describe.

He did this faithfully for his 2-years and never lost his physique for all I could tell as his companion of four months and additional visits during mission conferences. 

Of course, he probably didn't keep his 4% body fat.  But it was still low enough that you could clearly see he was muscled, not fat.  And you can bet that he got right back into it after his mission.

So, unless you're SO muscled that women might judge whether you've crossed the line between "well muscled" vs "muscle-bound" you probably won't have a problem.  Yes, it is true, each woman draws their own line at different looks.  But they definitely do have a line where the "muscle-bound" becomes synonymous with "muscle-head".  And that's something you probably want to avoid for the ladies.

Edited by Carborendum

You need to focus on strengthening your testimony. I think a part of you either wants to serve a mission or at least feels like you know you should but your heart isn't in it like it is with working out. The key is not to somehow suppress your desire to work out but rather strengthen your desire for things of a spiritual nature. Make strengthening your spirit part of your daily routine along with gym time. 

I envy your passion with working out. I'd say I'm the opposite, getting myself to the gym feels like a chore. But I know I need that physical/spiritual balance in my life so I go. I have found though that if I go to the gym consistently my desire to go increases, especially when I see progress in myself. It's the same with things of the Spirit. At first it feels like a chore but with some consistency it soon becomes an important part of our day. Strive to find that balance in your life. There is a strength and power there that gym time alone can never produce.

Then you can become like those paintings of the Nephites that are totally shredded, spiritually and physically. 😃

4 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

It used to be taught that our bodies were temples.  They are special places for our soul and the better we treat and take care of it, the better it can be for us. 

Not just special places for our spirit - they are intended to house the third member of the Godhead - the Holy Ghost, not unlike how our temple buildings are houses of the Lord where he himself can come to visit.  This literally makes our bodies temples of God.  Therefore, one's efforts to maintain physical health should be with the intent to use that health and strength to do the work of God - to help bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.  If one's dedication to the physical form (which may or may not be healthy - consult a physician) distances one from God, then it serves no good purpose and becomes a form of idol worship.

I would also note that if it harms or prevents proper spiritual, social, or intellectual development; or if it interferes with one's responsibilities (work, education, Church, family), then it is decidedly unhealthy.

The good news is that there's no reason it cannot be done with the proper attitude and perspective, in balance with those other things.  1.5 hours per day, 6 days per week, seems entirely manageable while still maintaining one's overall development and responsibilities.  (Other people use that time on hobbies or entertainment, @zpeel05 can use it for exercise.)

My advice is still to trust that the maker of that body (God) knows best what to do with it.  The sacrifice (we are all called to put things on the altar at times) will be worth it, if done willingly and with gratitude (not begrudgingly), and will bring the blessings of heaven.

8 minutes ago, zil2 said:

The good news is that there's no reason it cannot be done with the proper attitude and perspective, in balance with those other things.  1.5 hours per day, 6 days per week, seems entirely manageable while still maintaining one's overall development and responsibilities.  (Other people use that time on hobbies or entertainment, @zpeel05 can use it for exercise.)

You can also combine the two. I think I’ve “read” the entire BOM while running and working out via audiobook. 

I never touch weights though. Herschel Walker was right there. 

23 hours ago, zpeel05 said:

I think you and your parents need to both take it down a notch. 

Your dad is out of line for saying things like you won't have your muscles in Heaven. 

You need to ask yourself *why* you're spending so much time at the gym and what you hope to accomplish through it. 

As it is, you don't need to be wearing a name tag to serve as a missionary. Your membership in the church is enough that you should be a living example to others as much as you can be, and you should also be well-versed enough in the scriptures, the church's teachings, and the church's history to answer any questions that people may have. 

And for the record, my maternal grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in my senior year of high school. It would have been a hardship for me to leave my parents at that point, and so I made the internet my mission field. 

20 hours ago, zil2 said:

D&C 76:71-79

Irony: Pursuit of the perfect mortal body over obedience to God will yield in eternity at best a terrestrial body - one as much less in glory compared to a celestial body as the moon differs from the sun in brightness.  You may have it in mortality (until age or injury or disease takes it from you), but then in eternity you will end with something far less (in other words, your efforts will have been for naught).  Set your sights on something greater - the glory of God - regardless of the consequences.

This reminds me of some of the examples President Kimball gave in The False Gods We Worship.

One young man, when called on a mission, replied that he didn’t have much talent for that kind of thing. What he was good at was keeping his powerful new automobile in top condition. He enjoyed the sense of power and acceleration, and when he was driving, the continual motion gave him the illusion that he was really getting somewhere.

All along, his father had been content with saying, “He likes to do things with his hands. That’s good enough for him.”

Good enough for a son of God? This young man didn’t realize that the power of his automobile is infinitesimally small in comparison with the power of the sea, or of the sun; and there are many suns, all controlled by law and by priesthood, ultimately—a priesthood power that he could have been developing in the service of the Lord. He settled for a pitiful god, a composite of steel and rubber and shiny chrome.

Edited by mordorbund

On 11/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, zpeel05 said:

Welcome to the forum.  I am a great believer in agency.  If you have determined to use your agency to avoid a mission that is your choice.  I do find it rather odd that you want to discuss this matter of a mission with a bunch of people on the internet that you do not know and that know nothing about you.

I would think if you wanted to build a life around being physically fit that you have options, but you did not mention an interest in any of those options.  If you are excelling in sports and can see yourself through to becoming a professional athlete, then I would say go for it. If not, perhaps you ought to think about the military – there are many options in the military from special forces to combat paramedic.

If you want fitness, you have many options that you can do and still serve a mission.  I am a cyclist and a skier.  My mission allowed (required) me to ride a bicycle – which I took seriously and got a speeding ticket ridding a bicycle on my mission.  I did have an opportunity to try out for the US ski team but decided to maintain an amateur status and become a scientist instead.  I am 77 and still ski and cycle. Two years ago, I had a serious accident competing as a cyclist and had to promise my eternal partner (wife) that I would quit competing.  It is interesting that close to 90% of those I competed against 50 years ago are either dead or can no longer ski or cycle.

Whatever you decide about what you want to do with your life – I would suggest that you also have a plan B, C … perhaps many, even to ZZ.  Life has a way of changing your life for you – and it is always a possible that you may change your mind again.  I served a mission.  It was a significant sacrifice to serve but I was willing to plan and save for a mission (I did not require anyone else to contribute).  Serving a mission was one of my greatest accomplishments.  Most all other significant accomplishments came after my mission (with a few exceptions) and I would not trade my mission experience.  A mission is something I do not regret and would definitely choose again and again.   But I would not recommend a mission to anyone, unless it is important enough to them to make a significient sacrifice to accomplish.

The Traveler

On 11/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, zpeel05 said:

How do you see yourself balancing your physical conditioning with future obligations to your career (including educational development), your wife, your children, your community, and your ward?

I think it’s normal, in our late teens and early twenties, to be pretty focused on ourselves and our own development.  But the point of eternal progression isn’t just that we become (spiritually or physically) powerful; it’s that we use that power for the good of those around us.

Heaven knows, the society we live in will put up with us—even indulge and encourage us—even if we aren’t terribly useful to others and instead focus on the glory and aesthetics of our own body and soul.  But at a very fundamental level, that sort of focus is in a state of severe tension with the sort of existence that the Church—and, we believe, the Jesus who organized it—invites us to lead.

None of us can make you want something you sincerely don’t want—or to make you give up something you truly love and value above everything else you currently have or anticipate ever having.  But you’re at a point in life where whichever choices you make are, by their nature, going to close some doors to you—or at least, commit you to paths you may find very unfulfilling and/or difficult to extricate yourself from later.  Now may be a good time to put some deep thought into what, and who, you want to be in five years; in ten; in twenty and in fifty.  

7 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Heaven knows, the society we live in will put up with us—even indulge and encourage us—even if we aren’t terribly useful to others and instead focus on the glory and aesthetics of our own body and soul.  But at a very fundamental level, that sort of focus is in a state of severe tension with the sort of existence that the Church—and, we believe, the Jesus who organized it—invites us to lead.

I heard a very interesting statement a few days ago.  It was while listening to a Jordan Peterson speech, so I don't have any references to the study he mentioned, but he said that someone had done a study (if I remember right, they were doing brain scans) and there was literally no difference at all between feeling misery and thinking about yourself (as far as what the brain activity was).  That hit me like a 2x4 upside the head.  It's no wonder the Church teaches us that often the solution to our own problems is to go and serve others! 

Satan is a freaking genius, getting this "identity" generation to think only about themselves and their own thoughts and feelings - they'll all be miserable in no time and miserable people do terrifying things!

2 hours ago, zil2 said:

I heard a very interesting statement a few days ago.  It was while listening to a Jordan Peterson speech, so I don't have any references to the study he mentioned, but he said that someone had done a study (if I remember right, they were doing brain scans) and there was literally no difference at all between feeling misery and thinking about yourself (as far as what the brain activity was).  That hit me like a 2x4 upside the head.  It's no wonder the Church teaches us that often the solution to our own problems is to go and serve others! 

Satan is a freaking genius, getting this "identity" generation to think only about themselves and their own thoughts and feelings - they'll all be miserable in no time and miserable people do terrifying things!

During my youth I joined the army so that I could serve a mission.  I did not like the army very much.  Many of my life’s saddest and most difficult experiences happened during and because of being in the military.  Yet, that experience had a great deal in making me into a better person – not so much for my self but for others.  Being in the military was really the first time in my life that I realized that my survival in life was linked to and dependent on others around me.  The corollary was also true – that the survival of those around me was also dependent on my performances specifically as a sacrifice for those around me – even and especially at the peril of my own life and survival.

But there was something else I learned.  When a unit (group of individuals) is developing a morale problem it has been established in the annals of military history that the best solution and means to strengthen morale is to increase the regimentation of that unit.   This is why the military has a uniform that were worn exactly the same, why we were “forced” to make our beds exactly the same, why our foot lockers were required to have the same stuff organized and placed in the lockers with uniform exactness and it is why we had to march around in unison and respond together to commands as a unit.

I learned that no matter how good you are about anything yourself – you are better when that effort is expressed and accomplished in a group working together as a unit.  It is also much more exciting and rewarding to accomplish something with others.  Though I am not an expert trained in psychology, I believe that a partner of misery and depression is loneliness.  Though I very much enjoy being by myself – especially with nature --- which is one of the reasons I enjoy cycling and skiing.  And yet my greatest joy are the accomplishments achieved with others.  So I wonder if even the problem of clinical depression is triggered because of loneliness and not realizing and being part of the success and achievements of others.

The Traveler