Moral question

Fether

I have a moral question

I work for Chrysalis, a company that takes care of people with disabilities of various sorts. The clients I work with live in a home in a neighborhood.

Before Christmas it got very cold and snowed here. One of the clients wanted to be helpful and shovel the snow and ice off my car... so he did and took a shovel to my car. There are now scratches all over our car (a 2015 civic we just bought).

The company, Chrysalis, said they would now pay for the damage done and pay for the painting of the whole car.

here is my question. Would it be wrong to just take the money and not get the car repainted???

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Fether said:

I have a moral question

I work for Chrysalis, a company that takes care of people with disabilities of various sorts. The clients I work with live in a home in a neighborhood.

Before Christmas it got very cold and snowed here. One of the clients wanted to be helpful and shovel the snow and ice off my car... so he did and took a shovel to my car. There are now scratches all over our car (a 2015 civic we just bought).

The company, Chrysalis, said they would now pay for the damage done and pay for the painting of the whole car.

here is my question. Would it be wrong to just take the money and not get the car repainted???

Wrong-I'm not sure, but it's not wise. 

It might look dishonest to your company. Your boss could go outside, see your car was still scratched and think "What did that guy do with the money we graciously gave him?" and it could plant seeds in his/her head. Perception is reality. 

Edited by MormonGator

7 minutes ago, Fether said:

I have a moral question

Yes, this isn't some distant insurance company you work for these guys and have to see them every day.  Be grateful that you do not have to file an insurance claim and get your new to you car fixed.

Edited by omegaseamaster75

I'd suggest if you want to just use the $ for other things, you just openly bring it up with your manager and see what they say.  "Thank you for offering to recoup me for the damage done - I really appreciate it.  I have a question - I'm considering using the money for other purposes - would that run afoul of any rules or policies?"

If you're worried that might not be a good conversation to have, you're probably best off just getting your car fixed.

Can you do car painting yourself?  If you could, you could give a statement akin to the normal costs of the painting and then paint it yourself...thus you get the car paint paid for and might be able to have some extra.  I'd only suggest this if you know what you are doing in painting a car.

It may be that if they you the cash, you can find a reputable place that will paint the car and give you a deal on it. 

On the otherhand, if you did any of those, you probably should return the unspent money and explain that you were able to get the job done more cheaply than expected.  In that instance they may take the money back, but you feel good because you were honest.  On the otherhand, they might say that you can keep the rest...in which case you still got to be honest but also get some extra money as well.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:00 AM, Fether said:

Absolutely not. The money covers damages. Once you get the money, you are repaid. However you want to spend the money is irrelevant.

EDIT: A more careful rereading than my first glance discloses that this is not an insurance issue per se, but a gracious act by the company. While I still think it would not be immoral, I agree with Gator. As the (irritating) current saying goes, the optics are bad.

Edited by Vort

Probably, a part of their reasoning is that they don't want you rolling up to client sites in a car that looks like you stole it from...well, me.

How much are we talking about here?  You might be able to get a reasonable looking beater for the same price off Craigslist, and sell the Civic afterward, putting some cash back in your pocket.  Then everyone's goals are met for what the company considered a reasonable settlement price in the first place.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Vort said:

Absolutely not. The money covers damages. Once you get the money, you are repaid. However you want to spend the money is irrelevant.

EDIT: A more careful rereading than my first glance discloses that this is not an insurance issue per se, but a gracious act by the company. While I still think it would not be immoral, I agree with Gator. As the (irritating) current saying goes, the optics are bad.

@Fether

– I agree with Vort.  Consider contacting a paint and body shop and subcontracting some of the labor.

The Traveler

Its perfectly okay to take the money and use it however you want. Ethically speaking, both sides will be justified. However, some ill feelings may be born if the car isnt fixed and you continue to bring the car around for everyone to see. My bet would be to have it fixed. A car that remains damaged is taken care of less, loses value quicker and over time makes one not want to look at. The regret in the end will surpass a temporary slush fund now. Fix the car.

Well @Fether, it looks like you have received the following answers:

1) Yes it is wrong
2) Unsure if wrong, but definitely not wise
3) Not wrong, and also not wise

If an individual is giving you money for a specific purpose, like this scenario, I would say it is wrong and unwise. This is part of the reason why the Church doesn't give cash. What is your bill, and they right a direct check for the bill, because people inappropriately use funds.

Now if the company gives money, and you use the money for the reason given and there are funds left over. I would say, the left over money can be used for whatever you want. I would add second confirmation to @NeuroTypical who specified it doesn't hurt to ask. Then the question becomes obsolete so to speak.

After furtherbdiscussion, I learned that the money would be coming out of the clients bank account and not the company’s.

It is a $4000-$7000 paint job (depending on where I go), which would ruin him financially. I have decided just to get a touch up and buffering on the scratches which is only a $250 fix. The scratches will still be visible to some extent but I figured the car I plan on driving till it dies is less important than the client’s financial stance.

I work for ... a company that takes care of people with disabilities of various sorts. ... One of the clients wanted to be helpful and shovel the snow and ice off my car... so he did and took a shovel to my car. There are now scratches all over our car (a 2015 civic we just bought).
It is a $4000-$7000 paint job (depending on where I go), which would ruin him financially. I have decided just to get a touch up and buffering on the scratches which is only a $250 fix. The scratches will still be visible to some extent but I figured the car I plan on driving till it dies is less important than the client’s financial stance.

Fether, that's kind of you.