What is a baby's blessing?

Fether

So my first son is due in about a month and I am curious as to what a baby blessing even is.

Now I have seen many baby's blessings in my life, I understand how to start and end them... but I don't really understand them and what they are for. How should I approach them? What mindset should I hold? What is the goal of them? What authority do I have in blessing my son? I just want to understand what it is that I am doing and why I am doing it, which will allow me to have faith in the blessings I make knowing I am doing so with the right mindset and with the right authority.

For example, I learned long ago how to start and end a blessing of healing, but it wasn't till later  that I was taught that when giving priesthood blessings, we ought to say "I bless you that..." and not "God blesses you that", though it is only a slight shift in wording, it has drastically different meaning and offers the speaker a stronger sense of responsibility to be worthy of such blessings.

I'm mostly looking for viable sources I can go to that will offer me the answers I am looking for. Any suggestions or insights?

At it's core, a baby blessing is a prayer on behalf of your little one.  Starting and ending are set, as is officially giving him is his name.  Beyond that... let the Spirit speak.  What is the little child to know?  How are you all going to be there for him?   Listen to the Spirit, let Him guide you.

I personally conceptualize the blessing as something that gets the child through the first eight years of life—up through baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.  So as I ponder and seek revelation about what specific blessings to pronounce, that’s typically the direction I go in.  

I also have a personal soapbox that blessings should respect the recipient’s own agency.  I know a lot of people will bless a baby that someday (s)he will serve a mission/marry in the temple/do some amazing thing or other.  That’s an awesome blessing, if the Spirit is behind it—but I must confess those kinds of pronouncements have always seemed kind of “off” to me.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings?lang=eng#202

https://www.lds.org/manual/family-home-evening-resource-book/family-home-evening-lessons/lesson-twenty-eight-a-name-and-a-blessing?lang=eng

13 minutes ago, Fether said:

And another question. When blessing the child, do I say things like "I bless you?" or "Heavenly Father, we bless this child"

Who am I speaking to when I give the blessing?

1. Address Heavenly Father.
  2. State that the blessing is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
  3.  Give the child a name.

Shift attention to Baby.  Address Baby.

1. Give words of blessing as the Spirit directs.
  2. Close in the name of Jesus Christ.

The bolded portion is never found in any manual.  But it is the tradition that I've seen everywhere with only a couple exceptions.

Edited by Guest

Excellent question Fether. The naming and blessing of our children is a priesthood blessing that begins with addressing Heavenly Father. When we give priesthood blessings we address the individual we are blessing. I will share with you two experiences that I had as a younger father with my first and with my second. (Sorry prepare for a longer post).

When I was preparing to bless my first son, the second counselor in the bishopric took me aside and said, "There is a misunderstanding in the gospel regarding infant blessings. Some think you "ask" and address Heavenly father throughout the whole blessing. This is a priesthood blessing address your child and pronounce and give a blessing as you would any other priesthood blessing." 

My second child, daughter, we were in a different ward. I had prepared myself similar to the first remembering the counsel given. Right before the bishop of my new ward took me aside and said, "There is a misunderstanding in the gospel with infant blessings. Some people think you address the infant, this is not right. You address Heavenly Father through out the whole blessing. It begins with addressing Heavenly Father, and we address him all the way through." The reason given, children are not able to understand what you are saying, so you don't address them. Sadly, this was the most uncomfortable blessing out of my six children I have given.

In the old Handbook of instruction it used to say this, "Address our Heavenly Father as in prayer." If you notice the new Handbook now has removed "as in prayer." In an Elder's quorum meeting this concept was brought up again, and one of the Elders in our quorum said a visiting apostle confirmed the naming and blessing of infants/children is a priesthood blessing, except that it begins with addressing father and then when the blessing is given we are authorized by the Lord to pronounce and give blessings, not ask in prayer. It is a priesthood blessing, not a priesthood prayer.

This brought a little confusion so I researched lds.org and all that I could read about priesthood blessings. What I discovered is that the naming and blessing of infants/children is a priesthood blessing. Once article I really liked though was from the questions and answers that asked the question, "Is it OK to address Heavenly Father in naming and blessing our children"? The author said something I have loved. He said (paraphrased), "At times it may be appropriate to "ask" instead of pronounce and give a blessing. When a Father is not sure the "Spirit" is prompting a blessing the father then may "ask" (I took this as pleading) Heavenly Father to bless the child." I loved this thought because it held the notion of an imperfect father pleading to a perfect Father to bless his child, the child he received from the Father.

As to the notion of our children not understanding what we say and that is why we address the child, well guess what, the naming and blessing of a child (if I remember correctly) can actually happen up until the child is baptized. Tradition though, we see only infants, newborns. You can have two year olds who have never received this blessing (and older) receive these blessings. Do you think a four year old will understand his name? So the given reason, "children are not able to understand what you are saying, so you don't address them," would be false. The naming and blessing of our children is a priesthood blessing, not a priesthood prayer. Here is an article that brings up some points and you can see in the older Handbook that is used to say "as in prayer."

As to preparation for these blessings, follow your heart, listen to all that is good, and think upon every blessing you want to bestow upon your child. Listen to the Spirit, and then when you give the blessing, forget everything, and pray that the Lord will direct your mind and heart to pronounce and give blessing according to the Lord's inspiration.

The Lord bless you in one of the greatest moments for fathers and mothers -- my opinion.

EDIT: And also, "You don't have to say 'on the records of the Church', which is tradition. My daughter I mentioned, I followed the Handbook and when I gave my daughter her name before the Father and the body of the Church, and was about to move forward with the blessing I was interrupted with, "say on the records of the Church." I hesitated, and I hear again, "On the records of the Church." I honored him, and then moved forward. It was a little awkward though.

There are only three things that need to be said:

1) Address Heavenly Father

2) State priesthood authority by which the priesthood is given by

3) Give your child's name

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

That’s an awesome blessing, if the Spirit is behind it—but I must confess those kinds of pronouncements have always seemed kind of “off” to me.

Ah @Just_A_Guy, I found one thing I disagree with from you. It happens (fortunately you are not going to HE(double hockey sticks) for this thought though -- phew ;) ). I would be more general though, anything that is not inspired by the Spirit is a little off. If inspired by the Spirit, and when inspired by the Spirit, the whole spectrum is good. Think upon the blessing of Jacob to Joseph's sons :)

1 hour ago, Fether said:

How should I approach them?

The baby blessing is a non-saving Priesthood ordinance. As far as I can tell, its purpose is primarily social, to introduce the child to the ward and make him/her a part of the community, and to allow the father a chance to exercise his patriarchal Priesthood in a loving manner. It also serves as a convenient excuse for the ward clerk to generate a Church record for the child.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

What mindset should I hold?

Primarily one of gratitude to God, of love for your child, and of optimism for the future, whatever it holds.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

What is the goal of them?

Again, I personally believe the goal is primarily societal. You are offering a public patriarchal blessing to your offspring. It may be a "non-saving" ordinance, but it is a sacred occasion.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

What authority do I have in blessing my son?

It is a Priesthood blessing, offered by the authority of the Priesthood.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

For example, I learned long ago how to start and end a blessing of healing, but it wasn't till later  that I was taught that when giving priesthood blessings, we ought to say "I bless you that..." and not "God blesses you that", though it is only a slight shift in wording, it has drastically different meaning and offers the speaker a stronger sense of responsibility to be worthy of such blessings.

Start the blessing by addressing the Father, stating your authority, and saying that you are giving the child a name and a blessing. Declare the child's name. Then address the child and offer your Priesthood blessing according to the Spirit. This is primarily a blessing, not a prayer to the Father, so don't ask for this or that. Pronounce what the Spirit directs. Close in the name of our Savior. Don't worry if the blessing goes for five minutes or for fifteen seconds. That part makes no difference.

2 hours ago, Fether said:

I'm mostly looking for viable sources I can go to that will offer me the answers I am looking for. Any suggestions or insights?

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings?lang=eng#202

1 hour ago, Fether said:

When blessing the child, do I say things like "I bless you?" or "Heavenly Father, we bless this child"

Who am I speaking to when I give the blessing?

To start the blessing, you address the Father. After declaring the child's name, you address the child and speak the blessing to him/her.

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I personally conceptualize the blessing as something that gets the child through the first eight years of life—up through baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.  So as I ponder and seek revelation about what specific blessings to pronounce, that’s typically the direction I go in.  

I also have a personal soapbox that blessings should respect the recipient’s own agency.  I know a lot of people will bless a baby that someday (s)he will serve a mission/marry in the temple/do some amazing thing or other.  That’s an awesome blessing, if the Spirit is behind it—but I must confess those kinds of pronouncements have always seemed kind of “off” to me.

I actually don't agree. All blessings pronounced upon us are conditional. Think of your marriage covenants and promises as an example.

Maybe your soapbox issue would be eased by the addition of "if you are faithfulness" or the like. ;)

Edited by The Folk Prophet

36 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I actually don't agree. All blessings pronounced upon us are conditional. Think of your marriage covenants and promises as an example.

Maybe your soapbox issue would be eased by the addition of "if you are faithfulness" or the like. ;)

Yes and no.  *Some* good things in life come without any current virtuous actions on our part—the fact that a baby’s parents choose to feed it, for example; or the fact that a child grows up in a ward with uncommonly good Primary/YMMIA leadership.  And I actually have no problem with the pronouncement of those sorts of blessings.

Let me try to put my gripe/concern/preference/hobby horse another way:  Perhaps I’m too much of a pedant in this instance; but it seems to me that there’s a fine line between a “baby blessing” that actually consists of the bestowal of *blessings* intended to be profitable to the child for a specific purpose; versus a “baby blessing” that comes off more as a (hopefully) inspired recitation of the parent’s fondest hopes for what the child will eventually do and become.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

13 hours ago, Fether said:

So my first son is due in about a month and I am curious as to what a baby blessing even is.

Now I have seen many baby's blessings in my life, I understand how to start and end them... but I don't really understand them and what they are for. How should I approach them? What mindset should I hold? What is the goal of them? What authority do I have in blessing my son? I just want to understand what it is that I am doing and why I am doing it, which will allow me to have faith in the blessings I make knowing I am doing so with the right mindset and with the right authority.

Congratulations!

With regards to blessing the sick, we ought to speak as directed by the Spirit. The same is true for baby blessings (“Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs” is in the instructions for both https://www.lds.org/manual/family-guidebook/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings?lang=eng ). See also https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/priesthood-ordinances-and-blessings/20.2?lang=eng&_r=1#202

By blessing your children, you are serving as patriarch in your family. It is not a saving ordinance but it is in line with D&C 20:70. The wording, which is structured first as a prayer and then a blessing, suggests humble recognition of the divine order of things: the child is God’s, and you are God’s steward in getting her the priesthood blessings. I see this order as an extension of D&C 83:4 (spiritual maintenance).

Clerks often use the occasion to prompt them to record births and create a new membership record for the child if such instruction is not otherwise given by the parents or bishop. http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Recording_ordinances

19 hours ago, Fether said:

Any suggestions or insights?

A baby blessing is an ordinance of the Melchizedek Priesthood.   It is a kind of Patriarchal blessing and when given by a worthy priesthood holder has divine prophetic meaning.  Jesus told his apostles that if they have reservations in giving priesthood blessings – that they should precede their blessing or prepare with fasting and prayer.

The Traveler

19 hours ago, Fether said:

What authority do I have in blessing my son?

Like baptism, it is a father's duty and privilege to name and bless his own child. Like baptism, it is an authorized ordinance performed under the direction of the bishop. Others have shared what handbook 2 says on it, so I'll just add D&C 20:70

Every member of the church of Christ having childrenis to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name.

The other thing a baby blessing does, is get the kiddo added to the rolls of the church.  One of the tasks as membership clerk I liked the most! 

Another one, of course, being getting all the paperwork done for name removals. :)  Only done that one once, but have added maybe a dozen people to the rolls of the church!

Like @bytebear has suggested there are two parts.  I would call the first part the ordinance of naming of a child.  The second part is a father’s blessings.  Because of my heritage being born under the covenant of the church I have believe that father’s blessing should not be rare.  When I was raising my children, it was an annual event and sort of a tradition that each of my children would receive a father’s blessing.

I gathered my brothers as the occasions of my father and mother approached their deaths for a priesthood blessing from their sons.    What I find interesting is that one of my sons, that does not feel that weekly attendance at church meeting and having a church calling is necessary – is adamant about annually blessing his wife and children and is the most likely to request a blessing at my hand when he is experiencing a crisis.

The Traveler