It has to be asked....

2ndRateMind

6 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Well, it's not meant to be a dodge. I just see no point in stating any point of view that is bound to be met outright hostility, slurs on my character, and irrational invective. When you all decide to play nicely, I'll play nicely, too.

I've been polite and reasonable, haven't I?  I'm sorry but that still sounds like a dodge.  If this environment is so toxic then why keep posting at all?

52 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

If I have any saving grace at all, it is simply an allegiance to reason, rather than rudeness, as the best method of converging on truth. 

Best wishes, 2RM.

Meanwhile, I must say that when I asked in the OP if Mormons were 'just a club of like-minded, socially coherent cronies', I did not expect such a definitive and effective demonstration that that is precisely what you are, at least so far as this forum goes.

Well, this was quite "rude." Lumping me in with people like @zil, @Vort, @The Folk Prophet, @MormonGator, @unixknight, @Grunt (just dawned on me his name is the little guys from Halo we like to birthday party with headshots -- no offense Grunt, we will keep your head safe), @estradling75, @NeuroTypical, @askandanswer, @mirkwood, and @mordorbund.

I don't think I have ever read anything more rude.

On this forum though, we have come to expect "'just a club of like-minded, socially coherent cronies" from trolls who want to give the illusion of not being rude, because the emphasized portion of second quote isn't rude at all.

Being well familiar with the people responding to this thread, the rudest thing you could say is that they are a "club of like-minded...cronies" with me in the group. I think you just gave @Vort and @NeuroTypical the greatest insult they have ever received -- just plain rude.

39 minutes ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Well, it's not meant to be a dodge. I just see no point in stating any point of view that is bound to be met with outright hostility, slurs on my character, and irrational invective. When you all decide to play nicely, I'll play nicely, too.

Meanwhile, I must say that when I asked in the OP if Mormons were 'just a club of like-minded, socially coherent cronies', I did not expect such an immediate, definitive and effective demonstration that that is precisely what you are, at least so far as this forum goes.

Now, I need to cool off a little. Maybe we will get to raise the tone of the debate, tomorrow. Or maybe not. Whatever, it's not my problem.  

Best wishes, 2RM.

This argument is irrational.

You can have any group of people, people who may not even like each other or remotely agree on anything.  But if someone comes in lobbing bullets at them, then everyone together is going to take cover and defend each other.  This is basic animal survival reaction, nothing more.

2 hours ago, 2ndRateMind said:

allegiance to reason, rather than rudeness

I must have missed those posts.

A little advice.  We are familiar with the patterns of the hobby anti Mormon troll.  Perhaps you would be happier elsewhere.  I'm sure there are some anti sites that will "just a club of like-minded, socially coherent cronies" along with you.

Edited by mirkwood

3 hours ago, 2ndRateMind said:

Well, it's not meant to be a dodge. I just see no point in stating any point of view that is bound to be met with outright hostility, slurs on my character, and irrational invective. When you all decide to play nicely, I'll play nicely, too.

Meanwhile, I must say that when I asked in the OP if Mormons were 'just a club of like-minded, socially coherent cronies', I did not expect such an immediate, definitive and effective demonstration that that is precisely what you are, at least so far as this forum goes.

Now, I need to cool off a little. Maybe we will get to raise the tone of the debate, tomorrow. Or maybe not. Whatever, it's not my problem.  

Best wishes, 2RM.

Translation:

"I should be able to insult everything you hold dear and precious without it being offensive, but if you defend what you hold dear and precious....whoo boy..."

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

I guess I have thicker skin then some others.

Dude, I made a comment about how awful Cheap Trick is and you sat there and cried for like ten minutes. 

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Grunt said:

In his defense, I wept like a baby at Kiss, Animalize.  The reality was too much.

Anyone who likes Kiss is a loser. Sorry pal, has to be said. 

By the way everyone, I was at the Atlanta Kiss convention back in January where Vinnie Vincent appeared for the first time in two decades!!!! 

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Are you sure that wasn't Comic Con?

Afraid not. There was a pharmaceutical sales rep conference, a church convention, and a bunch of degenerate Kiss fans all at the Marriott on Lenox road in Atlanta.  

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to see his question and answer sessions. They were completely sold out all three days. However I did see him there being ushered into the conference room. I was about ten feet away from him. 

Edited by MormonGator

On 5/17/2018 at 6:40 AM, 2ndRateMind said:

until such time as the climate of discussion on this thread is more congenial to rational debate

Says the "pale, male, and stale" guy.

and disagreement is no longer perceived as a personal insult

Says the "pale, male, and stale" guy.

I have a lot of time for you people and your faith, but my patience is not unlimited.

Perhaps you should storm off in a huff, never to return. Boy, that would sure show us.