Sign in to follow this  
dprh

Hi. My name is dprh and I'm an addict.

I found this forum a couple weeks ago and have posted a few times.  I like this community and figure I'll stick around and check in every so often.

I am in my late 30's, married with three kids.  I've been a missionary, financial clerk, ward clerk, YM's adviser and councilor, den leader, primary and Sunday School teacher in church.  Recently excommunicated, but working hard to repent, change, and be re-admitted into the Church. 

I am trying to develop more healthy connections with more people instead of isolating myself.  I figure an anonymous forum would be a good place to reach out.  My wife and I aren't comfortable yet with most real-life people knowing of our situation.  She's changed the setting for our family on the directory to private so most people can't see us. 

I'm sorry that you feel you have to keep your situation under wraps.  We have several recovering addicts in our ward who have even done jail time, but are very open and currently hold callings.  One is endowed.  Granted it took her 7 years to get to that point. I just want to offer you encouragement.  The Savior, the leadership of The Church and most of your brothers and sisters are in your corner. Most of us have been addicted to something whether it is a substance, a passion, a relationship or an activity such as reading, exercise, television, social media. Many just don't realize it or classify addictions in terms of severity or the impact on their life in general.

As the Savior said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."  I don't have to ask where thine accusers are for we are all human and make mistakes.  You are not alone and you and the Savior can do this. Sending love, prayers and hugs.

Thanks for the response @lynnpca7.  I think we'll eventually get to a point where we're more open in our ward.  It's still fairly fresh and hard to be vulnerable.  We are both going to group support.  I go to three different ARP groups a week and my wife goes once a week, but 3 different groups depending on which night fits our schedule.  We both have talked to a couple friends about it.  

We have a great couple in our town that are serving as ARP missionaries whose story is pretty similar to ours.  I hope one day to follow them and serve in that capacity.  But for now, I have to focus on getting baptized and receive my blessings again.

I was baptized when I was 9 when the family moved to a little town that had a branch (more like a twig).  My mother got all gungho and henpecked my dad into going to church.  Unfortunately being 9 I didn't have much say in the matter.  Anyway  I quit the church.  Nothing official, I just stopped going.  Anyway to make a long story short I am also an addict.  Living the Biker lifestyle you kinda get pushed that way.  About 3 years ago the missionaries found me (hard to hide when you buy a house) and my 2nd wife (First wife was a Temple Marriage)  and I started going to church.  Surprisingly she ended up getting baptized. Nobody knows much of anything about what I did during the 44 years I was not active (they do know I was a biker, from my tattoo's one of which is a pentacle, and clothes.  My wife also has tattoo's) and I am sure I am not going to say anything.  Anyway you are not the only addict in the church.  So just go and don't get all wonky..