Being Humble vs. Being Compelled to be Humbled

Learner

Here is the scripture where the thought came to mind for reference.

Alma 32:16 "Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe."

The question is, "What are some modern day examples of being compelled to be humble?"

I recognize that this scripture in particular is talking about baptism but it can be other aspects of our lives such as doing or not doing something on the Sabbath or the reverse too. What are some examples you have seen in your own or someone else's life and how could have the situation been better if you only chose to be humble to begin with? Try to only share stories that it was clear that you were compelled to be humble and how did you know you were compelled to begin with? Again a story of you, someone else, or another scripture.

Edited by Learner
To clarify the question

11 hours ago, Learner said:

The question is, "What are some modern day examples of being compelled to be humble?"

Such examples might include:

• Voting for someone you don't like because he's vastly less objectionable than the other person you could vote for
  • Working with people who have historically hated you and even sought evil against you because they're on the same side as you regarding far more destructive, heinous, and hateful ideologies
  • Taking a job you dislike because open, socially sanctioned bigotry prevents you from working in a field you're otherwise well-qualified for
  • Keeping your perfectly valid opinions to yourself because making clear that you believe something will get you dismissed from your job, excluded from your education, or otherwise damage your professional and social prospects

[I can't type my reply today - I have a cat on my lap... :D OK, Count Cuddlebutt has departed to gaze out the window.]

I'd say the 116 manuscript pages of the B of M was a "compelled to be humble" situation.  As is every case where we go and do something the Lord has told us not to do and we then suffer the negative consequences of acting contrary to the Lord's counsel or command.  For that matter, I think one reason the Lord allows (and perhaps sometimes causes) trials and afflictions is to compel humility:

Helaman 12:3 And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him.

(Doesn't directly mention humility, but after this it talks about pride, and what happens when the Lord doesn't do these things.)

The only personal examples I can think of are too personal to share, but in vague terms, challenging callings can at least encourage humility, if not compel it.  And trials, as mentioned.  Experience has taught me that it's much more pleasant to choose to humble oneself than to be humbled by external forces.  (And, cleverly, except of course for the Lord, those external forces lose force when you choose to be humble before they try to act against you.)

On 6/14/2023 at 12:45 PM, Learner said:

What are some examples you have seen in your own or someone else's life and how could have the situation been better if you only chose to be humble to begin with?

It’s not a question of morality but I got a large dose of humble pie many years ago. 

I was a cocky 24ish year old karate student. My instructor was in his early 50’s. During a sparing session I made a crack about his age-something like “getting old for this, huh?” We were, and still are friends so it wasn’t said in meanness. Just guys being guys. His response? “Looks like they sent a boy to do a mans job.” Or something like that. Not verbatim. 

He then began to hit me with ease, putting more and more power in each strike. It was essentially a one on one basketball game with you vs prime Michael Jordan. I think droplets of my blood were still on the mats decades later to remind other students to shut up and work hard. 

Taught me a good lesson though. You are not as skilled and tough as you think you are. 

Edited by LDSGator

On 6/14/2023 at 10:45 AM, Learner said:

"What are some modern day examples of being compelled to be humble?"

Great unfair tragedies are one way to do it.  Losing a loved one early.  Going through a major stressor like divorce or a criminal trial resulting in prison time.  Going through a drug addiction that required rehab and will have a permanent lifelong impact.  Making a driving mistake that leaves you or someone else permanently handicapped.  You know, stuff like that.  

I mean, humility isn't the only outcome of these sorts of things.  But when someone chooses humility, they feel like they were forced into it.

On 6/14/2023 at 11:45 AM, Learner said:

Do we really need "modern day" examples?  These things tend to be universal.

Scriptures mention:

• Poverty
  • Oppression
  • Disease/Disability
  • Death
  • Consequences of sin

The world has not changed much in this regard.  New players.  Same rules.

One example from my life was when I was unemployed for over a year.  As a depressive, I was seriously considering ending it.  But the thing that kept me going was that my family would be left destitute.  Let me tell you, I was humbled by that experience.

Being destitute of all earthly security forced me to recognize the only true source of security -- the Lord.

On 6/14/2023 at 12:45 PM, Learner said:

Here is the scripture where the thought came to mind for reference.

Alma 32:16 "Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe."

I recognize that this scripture in particular is talking about baptism but it can be other aspects of our lives such as doing or not doing something on the Sabbath or the reverse too. What are some examples you have seen in your own or someone else's life and how could have the situation been better if you only chose to be humble to begin with? Try to only share stories that it was clear that you were compelled to be humble and how did you know you were compelled to begin with? Again a story of you, someone else, or another scripture.

I think this is also an example of not needing to be perfect: get baptized in faith, whether you are humble or compelled to be humble and grow in the Spirit from there.

The point of humility in Alma 32 concerns the poor treatment and ostracizing by others, in this case poverty, but it could be on any point of comparison with the spirit of enmity (e.g., appearances, language, heritage, handicap, "discrimination," etc.). Today we hear a lot about bullying, in person and online and rejection on the basis of political affiliation or position. I think the point is, to find the point of humility where the only hope is in having faith in Christ to desire a covenant relationship with Him, and by extension, those who have done the same.

While enjoying the cool weather and some rain in Utah the other day, I was thinking of this very subject. I feel like the Lord is warning us that if we do not repent then this season of rain could be our last. I am reminded of this phrase in Isaiah 9:12 - "For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still."

We need to do better and humble ourselves.

2 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Isaiah 9:12 - "For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still."

One of the most widely misunderstood Isaiah phrases.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Egyptian crook and flail, apparently as royal sceptres of some sort. I'm a bit too slow to understand the significance, but I'm all ears.

Both of these scepters were symbols of Pharaoh's power.  But each of them were duplex symbols.

• Used to smite those who opposed him. 
  • Used to care for those he ruled
    • The crook was also a shepherd's crook to draw lost sheep to himself.
    • The flail was also used for threshing wheat to feed his people.