Satan's introduction of evil into the world

theplains

The current version of Gospel Principles omits this statement so I refer back to the 1997 version.  
Chapter 6, page 33 says, "Because of their transgression, Adam and Eve also suffered spiritual 
death. This meant they and their children could not walk and talk face to face with God. Because 
Satan had introduced evil into the world, Adam and Eve and their children were separated from God 
both physically and spiritually
."

How did Satan introduce evil into the world?

The Religion 327 - The Pearl of Great Price Student Manual says, "Some Christians condemn Eve for 
her act, concluding that she and her daughters are somehow flawed by it. Not the Latter-day Saints! 
Informed by revelation, we celebrate Eve’s act and honor her wisdom and courage in the great episode, 
called the Fall
... "

If you consider any temptation to disobey God to be evil, it is wise to honour someone who follows evil?

Thanks,
Jim

Just a reminder to everyone, here are the rules we all agreed to, in order to have an account here. 

https://mormonhub.com/forums/announcement/1-mormon-hub-rules-please-be-familiar-with-these-rules-before-posting/

Now, that said, 
"If you consider any temptation to disobey God to be evil"

Not sure that "if" applies to me...

I am new to this so I could be WAY off and please correct me!

I always thought that Lucifer was 'set up' by Heavenly Father, he knew how Lucifer would act, he also knew it was necessary for Eve and Adam to eat the fruit of the tree so they could 'be fruitful and multiply' but he wanted them to have their own free agency in the decision,  so I always thought of it as Heavenly Father outsmarting Lucifer and using him as a patsy so to speak, to get what needed to be done, done.

Please correct me where I am wrong here so I can learn.

Thank you

17 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Just for your FYI, this forum specifically forbids debating in any way

Really?  I'm assuming you mean "debate" in some very specific way, but I'm not seeing what text from the rules NT posted would cover your statement.  Could you clarify which rule you mean?

18 hours ago, theplains said:

The current version of Gospel Principles omits this statement so I refer back to the 1997 version.  
Chapter 6, page 33 says, "Because of their transgression, Adam and Eve also suffered spiritual 
death. This meant they and their children could not walk and talk face to face with God. Because 
Satan had introduced evil into the world, Adam and Eve and their children were separated from God 
."

The Religion 327 - The Pearl of Great Price Student Manual says, "Some Christians condemn Eve for 
her act, concluding that she and her daughters are somehow flawed by it. Not the Latter-day Saints! 
Informed by revelation, we celebrate Eve’s act and honor her wisdom and courage in the great episode, 
called the Fall
... "

If you consider any temptation to disobey God to be evil, it is wise to honour someone who follows evil?

Thanks,
Jim 

Satan introduced evil into the world by instigating and beguiling Eve to partake of the forbidden fruit, thus creating the world out of Eden. He was evil with evil intent; Adam and Eve were not. But as a result of their physical and spiritual separation from God, they and their offspring could now be tempted to commit sin, and once sin was committed, that is the evil referred to.

Adam and Eve (and obviously their posterity, which wasn' yet born) were not tempted to commit sin in Eden. They were tempted to use their agency to partake of the forbidden fruit, which is not an inherently evil act since it is inherently godlike to desire and obtain knowledge of good and evil (moral agency). Adam and Eve only had agency, the power to choose, but not between right and wrong, which had not yet been established, but between opposing principles, a tree of life and a tree of knowledge (see Alma 29:5: “Yea, and I know that good and evil have come before all men; he that knoweth not good from evil is blameless”; and 2 Nephi 2:22-23: “22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end. And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.”).

It is not wise to follow or honor Satan, and this is not what Eve and Adam did in being beguiled by Satan. See Moses 5:9-12: “And in that day the Holy Ghost fell upon Adam, which beareth record of the Father and the Son, saying: I am the Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning, henceforth and forever, that as thou hast fallen thou mayest be redeemed, and all mankind, even as many as will. And in that day Adam blessed God and was filled, and began to prophesy concerning all the families of the earth, saying: Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God. And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient. And Adam and Eve blessed the name of God, and they made all things known unto their sons and their daughters.” They were clearly honoring God and rejoicing in their redemption and His justice and mercy toward their having been beguiled to transgress, not Satan.

They transgressed, not sinned. Nowhere in the Bible are Adam and Eve referred to as sinners, only as transgressors. There is a difference. See:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1996/10/sins-and-mistakes?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1993/10/the-great-plan-of-happiness?lang=eng

4 hours ago, VelvetShadow said:

I am new to this so I could be WAY off and please correct me!

I always thought that Lucifer was 'set up' by Heavenly Father, he knew how Lucifer would act, he also knew it was necessary for Eve and Adam to eat the fruit of the tree so they could 'be fruitful and multiply' but he wanted them to have their own free agency in the decision,  so I always thought of it as Heavenly Father outsmarting Lucifer and using him as a patsy so to speak, to get what needed to be done, done.

Please correct me where I am wrong here so I can learn.

Thank you

Technically correct... but you are using Loaded Terminology ('Set up', 'Patsy') that twists and describes God from a Kind and Wise God to a egoistical manipulator and that is Wrong.

Adam and Eve had agency... but we must not forget so did Lucifer.  No one forced him to perform and take the actions he did.  He made those choices because he was trying to stop God's plan.

From our frail and limited understanding we see how God was able to turn Lucifer's (and Adam and Eve's) rebellion in the garden into a net gain for the rest of us.  And because of our limits we assume that it was the "only" way.  I disagree with this.  Had Lucifer not rebelled the plan would not have been frustrated... we simply lack the knowledge of how it would have progressed.  The scriptures tell us why it happened and the importance of it happening... but God has had no reason to play "What if" with us on this event on what might have been.

2 hours ago, CV75 said:

Satan introduced evil into the world by instigating and beguiling Eve to partake of the forbidden fruit, .....

I will add a thought.  It is the purpose of Satan to copy G-d and to do so by assuming the role of the Messiah or Christ.  Satan has some interesting excuses for what he did in Eden – for example claiming that he is only doing what has been done before in other world.  In essence introducing the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

It is my understanding that it is the intent of G-d that man comes to a knowledge of good and evil and I am of an opinion that there are “things” left out of the narrative of the Eden Epoch.   Since Satan intended to be the Messiah from the beginning – I speculate that Satan, without authorization, assumed the role of Messiah (like king Saul offering sacrifice) and thus became evil thinking to do good on his own and for his own purpose.  However, I believe Satan also did something in the process of offering the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil that was contrary to the plan of G-d that is somewhat lost in the epoch story.  But that is a separate discussion. 

The Traveler

33 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I will add a thought.  It is the purpose of Satan to copy G-d and to do so by assuming the role of the Messiah or Christ.  Satan has some interesting excuses for what he did in Eden – for example claiming that he is only doing what has been done before in other world.  In essence introducing the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

It is my understanding that it is the intent of G-d that man comes to a knowledge of good and evil and I am of an opinion that there are “things” left out of the narrative of the Eden Epoch.   Since Satan intended to be the Messiah from the beginning – I speculate that Satan, without authorization, assumed the role of Messiah (like king Saul offering sacrifice) and thus became evil thinking to do good on his own and for his own purpose.  However, I believe Satan also did something in the process of offering the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil that was contrary to the plan of G-d that is somewhat lost in the epoch story.  But that is a separate discussion. 

The Traveler

That both trees were accessible in Eden indicates that both are provided by God, and blessings of God, to be granted to us in due time by Him. It is interesting to me that for us, the tree of life is completely inaccessible fruit for this world (Alma 12:21) until such time the Lord gives it to us. So yes, I think it is possible that at some point God could have granted them permission to partake of the erstwhile forbidden fruit (or permission to abstain from the tree of life*). While the devil generates the evil choices in this world, I think any spirit that is less intelligent that God (Abraham 3:18-19), once separated from Him, can generate sufficient evil to create the need for a Savior.

* 2 Nephi 2:15 allows that the tree of life bore bitter-tasting fruit (at least not as tasty, pleasant to the eyes and desired), so it may have been as appealing to abstain from it as it was to desire the fruit of the tree of knowledge (Genesis 3:6).

PS i think I'm seeing double! :)

45 minutes ago, CV75 said:

That both trees were accessible in Eden indicates that both are provided by God, and blessings of God, to be granted to us in due time by Him.

About your use of the word 'both.' ... does this mean you believe God only created two trees in the Garden of Eden?

Jim

Thank you!

It is good to see thoughts in here dissecting this wonderful history. I like a lot of what I am seeing. To me the idea that God needed a devil is outrageous. I agree with @Traveler that Satan was trying to emulate having The Christ title and introduced the fruit to our first parents without permission. I am sure down the line the Savior would have explained to them the purpose of the fruit and given them the choice to become mortal. Oppositions exists and even without the sons of perdition this world would have been hard!  Natural disasters, illness and fighting among the mortals. Things would have been pretty close to what they are now I believe. Like I mentioned on another thread, I think the Sons of Perdition are still here because: 1. they are still part of this generation (assuming a world's mortal life span represents one generation of children overall; death + resurrection and 2. Perhaps the perdition could somehow repent and receive some kind of mercy whether a late second estate or a better life in the first estate becoming holy and not devils anymore. I don't know. 

22 hours ago, theplains said:

Some Christians condemn Eve for 
called the Fall

I have no idea who wrote this sensationalized piece. While I am not going to bag on Grandma Eve (Condemn)  her for eating the fruit I am not going to high five anyone that she listened to Satan. Grandma basically had the purity a child from what I understand, she was duped into eating the fruit from a being with his memory intact. I am glad Grandpa Adam ate the fruit so Grandma wouldn't be alone. I am happy that they remained together and kept on going with the plan. 

27 minutes ago, theplains said:

About your use of the word 'both.' ... does this mean you believe God only created two trees in the Garden of Eden?

Yes. There is another tree that makes one immortal, no matter what state they are in. So if you are imperfect that tree would have trapped you in your sins forever disqualifying you for going back to the presence of God and also exaltation. I am not sure if the tree of life is symbolic but since the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was real I imagine it was too. I am not sure if once the children of men (mortals) received the sacrifice of Jesus then they  could partake of the tree of life OR if it was an entire plan altogether (such as being in the Garden, eating the tree of knowledge of good and evil, living mortal life righteously, receiving sacrifice of Jesus Christ, dying in righteousness,  Resurrecting as a perfect being, going back to garden to eat the sealing fruit to make your perfect state last forever) No idea. All I know is that Tree is guarded by Cherubim and a Flaming Sword so we better have the answers to get back in. Somewhere things got jumbled up in our records. We have most of the pieces right now and I suppose things will be revealed in due time. Most of The Book of Mormon is still sealed, I am sure things are further explained there. 

We seem to be stuck on a wickedness-righteousness cycle as a WHOLE so I suppose we just keep moving along in the meantime.  

1 hour ago, theplains said:

Jim

LOL there were other trees, I'm sure! (Genesis 2:16). I'm sure some tasted better than others, even if only on different days!

On 7/1/2018 at 1:15 PM, theplains said:

."

called the Fall
... "

Thanks,
Jim

First problem, going back to a 1997 version rather than moving forward with the new version. It would be similar to having a discussion on "moral agency" and then going back to previous statement where "free agency" was used. Keep up with the current version. It is what is most important. It is similar to members of the Church who come to a bishop with a 1936 copy of the Church Handbook or guidebooks and saying, "See here, it says right here I can do this." It just doesn't provide a good foundation to begin a discussion.

Or maybe we can all begin stoning people again for being tempted and following into specific temptations, rather than forgiving? ;)

No, it is not wise to honor someone who follows evil, but then again what do you mean by following evil? A person that made one decision, as you would describe as evil, doesn't make the individual a follower of evil, nor does it make the person unworthy of praise or honor.

Second, how we define or interpret given passages will lead to different thoughts and theories.

Third, Eve didn't "follow" Satan. She was deceived by Satan but did not follow him. Unless you are perfect, I assume you have been deceived by Satan also. Would you then consider yourself a "follower of Satan" -- evil? Remember, Adam still desired to be with Eve and to keep God's commandments. I highly doubt Adam looked at Eve and said, "You witch, you follower of evil!" I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Fourth, as I don't know what religion leaning you follow, if Catholic, then you have Saints who at some time in their lives were tempted to disobey God by Satan, and they gave in. Is it wise to honor these Saints who at times as you would specify with Eve -- followed evil?

If Christian, I would assume you honor Paul who was previously Saul who was tempted and did some horrible things in God's name. Would it be wise that we honor Paul for his work as an Apostle/Disciple of Jesus Christ, when at one time he was holding the coats of those who stoned the disciples of Christ?

7 minutes ago, Grunt said:

What's MDDB?

Multidimensional database?  Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better? (I did not make that up.)   Something related to SAS.  (I was too lazy to go read more.)  Master Drug Data Base. (Dorks, database is one word.)  Meta-Data Data Base. (more dorks.)  Meeting Document Database.  (Are you sensing a theme?)  AK-47 Muzzle Device Detent Block.  (That sounds fun.)

OK, fun as that was, I tacked the word "Mormon" into my googley box and found Mormon Dialog & Discussion Board.

50 minutes ago, zil said:

Multidimensional database?  Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better? (I did not make that up.)   Something related to SAS.  (I was too lazy to go read more.)  Master Drug Data Base. (Dorks, database is one word.)  Meta-Data Data Base. (more dorks.)  Meeting Document Database.  (Are you sensing a theme?)  AK-47 Muzzle Device Detent Block.  (That sounds fun.)

OK, fun as that was, I tacked the word "Mormon" into my googley box and found Mormon Dialog & Discussion Board.

I'm still a little angry at you.  I just ordered another Karas Kustoms.

37 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I just ordered another Karas Kustoms.

Which one!?  What color?  What nib?  Which was the pre-another?  See, you must learn to live vicariously though other people's pens in order to keep your own purchases down! :twistedsmall:

On 7/1/2018 at 3:15 PM, theplains said:

."

called the Fall
... "

Thanks,
Jim

Satan introduced evil into the world after he successfully beguiled Eve into partaking of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Thereafter Eve persuaded her husband Adam to follow and do the same.

Some LDS commentators have praised Eve, suggesting that prior to partaking of the forbidden fruit she had the wisdom to know the fall was necessary, but the LDS Book of Moses most definitely suggests otherwise...

10 And in that day Adam blessed God and was filled, and began to prophesy concerning all the families of the earth, saying: Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God.

11 And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient. (Moses 5)

The portions iof the above two verses from the Book of Moses in bold clearly state that it wasn’t until after receiving the enlightening revelatory power of the Holy Ghost, a blessing that wasn’t received until sometime AFTER the fall, that Adam and Eve acquired sufficient knowledge and wisdom to be able to comprehend that though the consequences of their fall were totally negative and utterly destructive, nevertheless, through the atonement of Christ God is able neutralize the dire consequences of the fall and transform the fallen world into a blessing in disguise for those who embrace Christ and live the gospel. In short, there are no blessings of spiritual progress and growth associated with the fall without the gracious intervention of Christ and his atonement. Without the mitigating effects of the atonement, the fall is nothing but a totally malignant curse that banishes all men women and children to complete spiritual death and an endless hell, just as is taught in the Book of Mormon...

O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace! For behold, if the flesh should rise no more our spirits must become subject to that angel who fell from before the presence of the Eternal God, and became the devil, to rise no more.

And our spirits must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness.

10 O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit. (2 Nephi 9)

It’s impossible to imagine that the fall, standing on its own, could be considered a blessing when the great Book of Mormon prophet Jacob says the fall is an “awful monster” that condemns all mankind to endless physical death and total spiritual death. The only thing that allows anything at all positive to be associated with the fall is the infinite and eternal atonement of Christ

Edited by Jersey Boy

17 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Technically correct... but you are using Loaded Terminology ('Set up', 'Patsy') that twists and describes God from a Kind and Wise God to a egoistical manipulator and that is Wrong.

Adam and Eve had agency... but we must not forget so did Lucifer.  No one forced him to perform and take the actions he did.  He made those choices because he was trying to stop God's plan.

From our frail and limited understanding we see how God was able to turn Lucifer's (and Adam and Eve's) rebellion in the garden into a net gain for the rest of us.  And because of our limits we assume that it was the "only" way.  I disagree with this.  Had Lucifer not rebelled the plan would not have been frustrated... we simply lack the knowledge of how it would have progressed.  The scriptures tell us why it happened and the importance of it happening... but God has had no reason to play "What if" with us on this event on what might have been.

Thanks, I didn't mean to make God sound manipulative, that's not what I meant at all, sorry if it came off that way.

I never thought of Lucifer having agency as well, makes sense

On 7/2/2018 at 6:43 PM, Anddenex said:

Fourth, as I don't know what religion leaning you follow, if Catholic, then you have Saints who at some time in their lives were tempted to disobey God by Satan, and they gave in. Is it wise to honor these Saints who at times as you would specify with Eve -- followed evil?

If Christian, I would assume you honor Paul who was previously Saul who was tempted and did some horrible things in God's name. Would it be wise that we honor Paul for his work as an Apostle/Disciple of Jesus Christ, when at one time he was holding the coats of those who stoned the disciples of Christ?

It would not be wise to honor Paul for consenting and/or participating in the murder/imprisonment of the early Christians. I also
wouldn't honor someone who chooses to disobey God's command unless God told that person to stop an act because it was a
test of faith (as in the case of Abraham being told to sacrifice his son Isaac).

Jim

On 7/3/2018 at 10:06 AM, zil said:

I just typed Mormon Dialog and Discussion Board into my googley box, then clicked on the first link that came back and got

Banned

You do not have permission to view this site.

6 hours ago, theplains said:

It would not be wise to honor Paul for consenting and/or participating in the murder/imprisonment of the early Christians. I also
wouldn't honor someone who chooses to disobey God's command unless God told that person to stop an act because it was a
test of faith (as in the case of Abraham being told to sacrifice his son Isaac).

Jim

Do you honor Adam then, as he was tempted and chose to also disobey God's command? God didn't tell him to partake. He partook to remain with Eve, and in order to do so he "chose" to disobey God. In this case, Adam "followed" evil.

I am simply taking your question here, " If you consider any temptation to disobey God to be evil, it is wise to honour someone who follows evil," literally. Or, do you have another caveat?

Edited by Anddenex

12 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Do you honor Adam then, as he was tempted and chose to also disobey God's command? God didn't tell him to partake. He partook to remain with Eve, and in order to do so he "chose" to disobey God. In this case, Adam "followed" evil.

I believe Adam and Eve both sinned when they disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden (many LDS teachings also state this) so I
don't honor them for what some would consider a wise choice.  As for the idea Adam partook to remain with Eve, there is no
scriptural evidence that Adam and Eve knew they were going to be expelled from the Garden until God pronounced judgment on
both of them at the same time. Also, there is no indication Adam would forever remain single in the Garden had he chosen to
remain obedient to God.

Jim

22 hours ago, theplains said:

I believe Adam and Eve both sinned when they disobeyed God in the Garden of Eden (many LDS teachings also state this) so I
don't honor them for what some would consider a wise choice.  As for the idea Adam partook to remain with Eve, there is no
scriptural evidence that Adam and Eve knew they were going to be expelled from the Garden until God pronounced judgment on
both of them at the same time. Also, there is no indication Adam would forever remain single in the Garden had he chosen to
remain obedient to God.

Jim

Thank you, then the original question/principle would have better been stated as, "If you consider any temptation to disobey God to be evil, is it wise then to honor this "decision"? The original question appears to say that if a person disobeys a commandment then they are a follower of evil. In this case, all of us then are followers of evil, which is obviously not a true sentiment.

That is a good thought. We do not know if Adam and Eve knew they would be expelled until they were expelled. We did know they knew they would die.

Adam not remaining single in the Garden forever is more hypothetical, than probably factual, unless of course you believe in polygamy. We know from Genesis 2:25 that Eve was indeed Adam's wife. If Adam remained in the garden, and a person solely believes in having one wife here are the outcomes:

1) Adam was given another wife -- polygamy -- in order not to be alone.

2) Adam was given another wife when Eve eventually died in mortality, leaving Adam alone for a long time.

3) Adam via permission from God was divorced from Eve -- due to her transgression -- allowing Adam to receive another wife. The problem with this, divorce is not given by God. It is given due to man's desire of a bill of divorcement.

Edited by Anddenex