BYU as a church school?

Emmanuel Goldstein

It’s not at all clear to me that the Church will be able to run a university according to its standards ten years from now—let alone being able to operate a K-12 school in the US.  

One presumes the Church leadership sees things we don’t; but on the face of it, expanding its educational operations appears to be a very risky investment.

6 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

It often seems that there is a serious problem with members being obsessed with the sport programs of BYU. It even reaches the point of persecution and mockery.

What do you think BYU is for?  What purpose do you think it serves?

6 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

It often seems that there is a serious problem with members being obsessed with the sport programs of BYU. It even reaches the point of persecution and mockery.

Byu fans can be so bad. I had a Utah Utes  sticker on my car. During church, my first week at a new ward, it was scratched and torn off. I got a new and bigger one and they tried to ruin it as well. Dh said it would get bigger and bigger each time. This was was not in Utah.  

I have been told that I am wrong for not  being a byu fan in church. How it is the Lord's school and not supporting their sports is wrong.  I will never be a byu football fan.

I'm not a Ute fan either. Just to clear that up.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Have you been to Church Basketball?

Church basketball (at least, in my area) seems like a red-headed ugly stepchild compared to what it was in the 1970s and 1980s.  If the Hill Cumorah Pageant is getting the axe due to being insufficiently Christ-focused, IMHO Church sports can‘t be far behind. 

5 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Church basketball (at least, in my area) seems like a red-headed ugly stepchild compared to what it was in the 1970s and 1980s.  If the Hill Cumorah Pageant is getting the axe due to being insufficiently Christ-focused, IMHO Church sports can‘t be far behind. 

That would be a shame.  It's a very male trait to psychologically thrive through competition (win or lose).  You take out scouts, now take out sports... what are they gonna replace it with?

Guest MormonGator
45 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Some people like sports and need that outlet in their life. I enjoy being around people obsessed with sports .I hope BYU never cancels their sports programs. 

19 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Some people like sports and need that outlet in their life. I enjoy being around people obsessed with sports .I hope BYU never cancels their sports programs.  

I have no problem with people who like sports (as long as I don't have to stand around listening to them yammer for hours on end), but this:

52 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

Byu fans can be so bad. I had a Utah Utes  sticker on my car. During church, my first week at a new ward, it was scratched and torn off. I got a new and bigger one and they tried to ruin it as well. Dh said it would get bigger and bigger each time. This was was not in Utah.  

I have been told that I am wrong for not  being a byu fan in church. How it is the Lord's school and not supporting their sports is wrong.  I will never be a byu football fan.

I'm not a Ute fan either. Just to clear that up.

...is as wrong as can be.

(I have yet to meet such people - as far as I know - here in Utah.  The whole BYU-UofU thing seems more like a running joke here.)

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, zil said:

I have no problem with people who like sports (as long as I don't have to stand around listening to them yammer for hours on end), but this:

...is as wrong as can be.

(I have yet to meet such people - as far as I know - here in Utah.  The whole BYU-UofU thing seems more like a running joke here.)

All true, but 99% of sports fans don't act like that. 

It would be like banning pens because someone used them to key a car. 😉

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, zil said:

I agree.  I didn't point that out to suggest we should get rid of sports, just that everyone should try to (help others to) maintain some perspective. :)

College sports are more intense and passionate than pro sports, and it bothers me too when fans act like idiots. 

No. I got a great education at BYU for a very reasonable (compared to many other colleges) price. It was my first chance to be surrounded by a lot of good LDS girls, one of whom I married, and I was able to learn a lot about church history from some first class professors. Obviously I would support the brethren in whatever they decide to do, but BYU was a great experience for me and I would be devastated to see them close it down.

37 minutes ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, anyone who would use a pen to key a car should be locked up for pen abuse!  Unless they were using a ballpoint, then they should be locked up for keying someone's car. ;)

My boys are learning how to pick locks.  I'll have to suggest the use of a ballpoint pen.

I’d be in favor of limiting enrollment to students outside of Utah.  That would send the message that there’s value in becoming acquainted with your brothers and sisters outside the bubble and would also remove the unhealthy obsession of Utah parents to have their children attend BYU.

Edited by let’s roll