Disney wokeness

NeuroTypical

3 hours ago, Vort said:

A screaming goat sounds exactly like a screaming person. It's a Venn intersection of bizarre, terrifying, and hilarious.

Ok.  You mentioned Venn diagrams.  I have to share...

BTW, I'm a geek.  I'm no longer socially awkward. People don't make me feel nervous.  Some people make me feel loathing.

Edited by Carborendum

• 2 weeks later...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-pulls-channels-off-charter-spectrum-as-negotiation-dispute-escalates-160100358.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFZphoKgMkD9lPvWXL9vXL2l7DNRRQyU5bxdQuDMfMgQANSUMzlffD59zjiINrKp9OjtXE5Ks49S7dyOVm1uGF-SldALGTsM-o4ap6dwd_Rd9KPHiE2l70kcE-Fx2YVxSp8wP4PjKTIHMxz8BuOI0mP4iJJ6wBZTxauDyhv6NAlZ

A carriage fee dispute between Disney and Charter Spectrum resulted in Charter Spectrum pulling all Disney-owned channels (including ESPN just moments before some major games started) and replacing them with a canned message saying that Disney wanted "excessive" carriage fees and bundling agreements that would potentially force customers to pay more for channels they didn't want. Charter Spectrum has also removed all Disney content from their on-demand, including ABC content despite still airing ABC stations that aren't owned by Disney itself. 

This is in keeping with my hypothesis that Disney is having a liquidity crisis if they're going for a cash grab like this.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:14 PM, pam said:

It has sure done a number on Budweiser.  

On 9/4/2023 at 8:24 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

It seems to have done a number on Disney too.

On 9/4/2023 at 3:28 PM, mirkwood said:

They have both lost a great deal of money.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but..

1) Yes, they've lost a lot of money and market cap.
2) It doesn't matter because they now have an excuse to simply get rid of "dead weight" (read: conservative executives and employees).

They'll still survive (either by refocusing on things only liberals will love) or by being bought out by other companies who will have a "little" better social track record that will lure conservatives back in. If we run forward 20 paces, get pushed back 15.  Rinse-repeat.  Over time, the enemy never realizes how much ground they've lost.

If you only market to liberals, you'll still have a customer base of 150 million people in the US alone.  That is enough to be quite successful in business.  This is why boycotts don't really matter.  The fact that Bud Light has only lost about 25% of sales means that 75% of the population doesn't care -- or they agree with Bud.  The 25% have spoken.  We're done.

The bus boycott worked because they had nearly 100% participation from Black passengers.  Today, we seem to have 50% participation from conservatives and zero participation from liberals, with some liberals buying Bud to support them even when they never drank Bud before.

Edited by Carborendum

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

2) It doesn't matter because they now have an excuse to simply get rid of "dead weight" (read: conservative executives and employees).

They'll still survive (either by refocusing on things only liberals will love) or by being bought out by other companies who will have a "little" better social track record that will lure conservatives back in. If we run forward 20 paces, get pushed back 15.  Rinse-repeat.  Over time, the enemy never realizes how much ground they've lost.

If you only market to liberals, you'll still have a customer base of 150 million people in the US alone.  That is enough to be quite successful in business.  This is why boycotts don't really matter.  The fact that Bud Light has only lost about 25% of sales means that 75% of the population doesn't care -- or they agree with Bud.  The 25% have spoken.  We're done.

The bus boycott worked because they had nearly 100% participation from Black passengers.  Today, we seem to have 50% participation from conservatives and zero participation from liberals, with some liberals buying Bud to support them even when they never drank Bud before.

The way I see it....any dent is a good dent.

On 9/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, Carborendum said:

Why is this a Liberals vs. Conservative thing?

Conservative isn't a religion (or isn't supposed to be).

Also, counting independents as "Liberals" seems rather...disgenius.

It appears the number of actual Liberals in the United States is around 25% (2021).  37% are moderate and 36% Conservative (2021). 

Political ideology steady

When you see your political ideology as being the same as your religion...I think something may be wrong.

The REASON MLK worked in some ways was because he tried to be a Uniter (or at least, that was how it was Perceived by many) rather than a divider.  Whether you were Black or White, Conservative or Liberal, the idea was that all could be united as equals. 

The other side of fighting for equality could be seen as those who followed the Malcom X path where violence and division were the key.  You were either part of them or against them.

The Church doesn't care whether you are liberal or conservative.  It doesn't care what race you are or whether you are disabled or not.  What is important is whether we follow our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and adhere to the principles that he taught. 

In that light, It is a matter more of what we believe and how we feel about things.

ON Disney, I do not like the way Disney is going today.  I know some who are MUCH MORE conservative than I who still love Disney completely.  They watch the new Disney shows, they really like their Disney Channel and Disney+, and are much bigger fans of Disney than most that I know.  It is not necessarily a conservative vs. liberal thing here.  If it were, you would think Disney would appeal to me FAR more than those I know who are massive Disney fans and yet are very far to the right (currently, many of those that I refer to in this paragraph also love Trump...so when that ship sails we will see if they are still conservatives or not).

I think you shouldn't try to kill your allies on something simply because you don't like how they may think on something completely unrelated or different.  In this area, both Liberals and Conservatives of certain morals and ideas can be united without trying to say it is the other's fault.

PS:  On another item you mentioned, Beer.  I don't drink Beer.  Assuming all those who drank Bud Lite constituted ALL American audiences is probably not the right way to go about it.  I don't know the demographics of who all drank Bud Lite to begin with, or how many were conservative or liberal or moderates, but just because they didn't lose 50% of their sales doesn't really say how many were of each group or how much it has effected others.

PPS:  However, that said, if you take out the Conservative/Liberal ideas of your post, I think you have some good points.  It takes more of a unity of people in specific locations (such as what was organized via MLK) as well as Political allies (something MLK's movement got) to have a really good success at times.

Edited by JohnsonJones

14 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I know some who are MUCH MORE conservative than I who still love Disney completely. 

Same, but it’s become a conservative litmus test. Anyone who dares to like Disney or wear Nikep sneakers isn’t a “real conservative.” Sure it’s a logical fallacy, but who cares? 

Many many years ago I knew of a leftist who liked punk music but wouldn’t listen to The Ramones because Johnny was a vocal conservative. I thought it was asinine. This is the same thing on a larger scale. 

33 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Same, but it’s become a conservative litmus test. Anyone who dares to like Disney or wear Nikep sneakers isn’t a “real conservative.” Sure it’s a logical fallacy, but who cares? 

Many many years ago I knew of a leftist who liked punk music but wouldn’t listen to The Ramones because Johnny was a vocal conservative. I thought it was asinine. This is the same thing on a larger scale. 

I didn't know that about Johnny. But if he was good enough for Henry Rollins and Brett Gurewitz, then he's good enough for me.

16 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Also, counting independents as "Liberals" seems rather...disgenius.

It is, but you have to remember that the more extreme you are personally, the more it deludes you. There are people on the hard right who think Ronald Reagan was a moderate and people on the hard left that think Obama was “too conservative.”

True that.  I hang out with some woke progressives, and I learned they hated Hillary and Biden almost as much as they hate Trump.    They figure Trump is a fascist out to kill women by denying them healthcare, but they also think Hilary and Biden are both irredeemable evil capitalists who are owned by corporations.  

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

hated Hillary and Biden almost as much as they hate Trump

Yup. They’ll never be able to see it for themselves but those who worship AOC are the same person as those who worship the MAGA cult. It’s all about who you hate, not the conservative/liberal values they apparently love.

Sadly, hate always turns inward. 

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Yup. They’ll never be able to see it for themselves but those who worship AOC are the same person as those who worship the MAGA cult. It’s all about who you hate, not the conservative/liberal values they apparently love.

Sadly, hate always turns inward. 

Hate's a strong word. Most of us are just tired of seeing centrist dinosaurs waste Dem power by rocking the boat as little as possible so that other centrist dinosaurs will keep voting for them.

"Right now, Minnesota is showing the country you don't win elections to bank political capital – you win elections to burn political capital and improve lives."

-Governor Tim Walz