Law of Chastity Over the Age of 40

I broke the Law of Chastity with my priesthood holding boyfriend. We dated for 3 years. We became intimate after 3 months. We were both in our mid-40's. I have never been married, unable to bear children and have always worked very hard to honor the law of chastity. Ultimately, we broke up, we did not marry. 

I feel horribly guilty because I don't feel guilty for sharing an intimate physical relationship with someone I truly loved. In fact, I was overwhelmed with the bond the act gave to our relationship. I do feel guilty that I engaged in the act with a man who was not able to take advantage of all of the blessings of the church. He was disfellowshiped before I met him and remained so while we were together. 

In the past, I have had many relationships with very good non-members dissolve when I told them I would not engage in pre-marital sex. I struggle with people who are married with families who tell me I cannot engage in the sex act with someone I truly love after going a lifetime of trying to follow a near impossible rule. Now, I struggle with the reality, as stated by our leaders, I've committed an act that is seen as secondly only to murder and refusing the Holy Ghost because I have not had the opportunity to be married. I feel I'm being penalized for being human.

Ultimately our relationship didn't last due to challenges with his children. One child who was dealing with significant addition and behavioral issues and another adult child who was diagnoised with a severe mental illness. I spent quite a bit of time in rehab units and psych wards caring and praying for the well being and safety of his children. The stresses that accompany these situations is intense and have broken 20+ year marriages, to state it mildly. 

Am I destined for eternal damnation for not feeling guilty for being a 40-something year old woman who slept with man she adored, loved and wanted to marry? I don't understand how to repent for this whenI don't feel guilt or shame. I do feel profound sorrow if my actions took my boyfriend at the time away from this worthiness as a parent and denied his family blessings. On this note, I've been physically ill when I think about it. I feel as if this is yet another way the church attempts to drive single people away from the church. "Be good, but you have any of the blessings of a mate or a child".

Thoughts?

Dear @Sledge 

It would be easy at this point to walk away from the church. Many other faiths require less of their members. Open up the New Testament or 3 Nephi and read a section where Jesus walked amongst us. He loves you. Yes you have sinned but you can be clean again. You are going to meet Him face to face. How is that conversation going to go? I know this is painful right now and you are angry at the church. You are standing at the most difficult of the path. Take a step back towards Jesus who loves you. With each step that you take, it will be easier. Read the Scriptures. Pray. Be respectful to Heavenly Father. If you are not attending church, then this is the Sunday to do so. You can do this! Many people do it everyday. Turn around and come back to Christ. You can do this!

Edited by Sunday21

3 hours ago, Sledge said:

I feel horribly guilty because I don't feel guilty for sharing an intimate physical relationship with someone I truly loved.

Metaguilt. Lovely.

I struggle with people who are married with families who tell me I cannot engage in the sex act with someone I truly love after going a lifetime of trying to follow a near impossible rule

That God is so unfair. What is he thinking, anyway?

Am I destined for eternal damnation for not feeling guilty for being a 40-something year old woman who slept with man she adored, loved and wanted to marry?

Not to put too fine a point on this, but since you ask: Yes. Unrepented-of fornication, like any sin, will indeed damn you.

I feel as if this is yet another way the church attempts to drive single people away from the church.

So, then, what do you suggest? Should the Church just go ahead and modify God's commandments to suit your taste? Maybe announce, "Those who have successfully reached the age of 40 unmarried but with their chastity intact may henceforth fornicate with others, but only if they really love them"?

Seriously, Sledge, think about what you're asking. How does it make a lick of sense?

I broke the Law of Chastity with my priesthood holding boyfriend. We dated for 3 years. We became intimate after 3 months. We were both in our mid-40's. I have never been married, unable to bear children and have always worked very hard to honor the law of chastity. Ultimately, we broke up, we did not marry. 

I feel horribly guilty because I don't feel guilty for sharing an intimate physical relationship with someone I truly loved.

*Screeching tires* Well, that kind of blows repentance right out the window. 

I do feel guilty that I engaged in the act with a man who was not able to take advantage of all of the blessings of the church. He was disfellowshiped before I met him and remained so while we were together. 

Please, continue..

In the past, I have had many relationships with very good non-members dissolve when I told them I would not engage in pre-marital sex. I struggle with people who are married with families who tell me I cannot engage in the sex act with someone I truly love after going a lifetime of trying to follow a near impossible rule.

Stop... You've lost me. I don't want to read anymore, it wouldn't help... I don't think you want the answers you are asking for. I am pleased to make your acquaintance welcome to Mormon Hub.

I actually read and replied before I noticed Vort did. Yeah, what HE said. 

9 hours ago, Sledge said:

I don't understand how to repent for this when I don't feel guilt or shame.

You cannot do this alone (even if you did feel guilt or shame).  You need the help of your bishop (more accurately, of the Lord as exercised through the keys your bishop holds).  When you're ready, go see him (sooner than later).  Perhaps he can help you understand the full extent of what you have done, and thereby help you to feel the godly sorrow which leads to repentance.

PS: This isn't about what the Church says, it's about the commandments of God.  And it's not the Church stopping you from getting married (even outside the temple), thereby avoiding the sin.  That's entirely up to you and the man you're involved with.  The longer you go without gaining a spiritual understanding of what you've done, and without repenting, the more likely you are to repeat the sin.  And if you do that, the more likely you are to move farther and farther from the Lord.  Please don't do that.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

As a non-member, I have a question.   If you don't feel guilt for the act, but you do feel guilt for breaking God's law, can you still be repentant?   

Given that the act is breaking God's law, I'm not sure how you can feel guilt for one and not the other.  The OP doesn't feel guilt for the act, nor for breaking the law which forbids the act; she feels guilty for the consequences suffered by her partner (and for not feeling guilty).

@Sledge, if you really want to get right with the Lord, and move along the path to exaltation, the way is clear, and it's The Sunday School Answers™ done with real intent (and that's the key - your heart must be in it).  If your heart isn't in it, I recommend that you pray morning and night (and in every other prayer) for the Lord to change your heart, and then get up and obey in spite of your heart not being in it (but without resentment or animosity).  It may well take years for your heart to change, so plan on this being a long-term plan.  But if you persist, your heart will change.  But you also need to repent of this sin.  IMO, you should refrain from partaking of the Sacrament, and you should not go to the temple until after this sin is resolved with your bishop.

11 hours ago, Sledge said:

We were both in our mid-40's. I have never been married, unable to bear children

None of this matters.  The Law of Chasity applies equally to all ages, and is for much more than just having/not having kids. 

I feel horribly guilty because I don't feel guilty for sharing an intimate physical relationship with someone I truly loved. In fact, I was overwhelmed with the bond the act gave to our relationship. 

@Sledge, of course being in a sexual relationship made you feel closer to this man and more bonded to him-- that's was sex is for, to bond people!  But you sexually bonded with a person you were not bonded to in all ways (aka marriage) and the natural result of that it brokenness.  Brokenness of your heart, relationship, spirit, etc.  Does this breakup not feel more painful than your previous ones?

I struggle with people who are married with families who tell me I cannot engage in the sex act with someone I truly love after going a lifetime of trying to follow a near impossible rule.

If you truly love someone, then truly commit to them, and then enjoy all the bonding under the sun.  Don't completely bond with someone whom you and he are not 100% truly committed together-- that is just the recipe for anguish.  Being truly 100% committed includes includes putting the ring on and formally saying "I do".  Otherwise you two are holding back and selling yourself short.  

Now, I struggle with the reality, as stated by our leaders, I've committed an act that is seen as secondly only to murder and refusing the Holy Ghost because I have not had the opportunity to be married. 

Why didn't you fully commit to him (aka marry) before committing sexually to him?  Why sell yourself short?  (You don't need to answer that question on the forum, it's more for you to think about).  

I feel I'm being penalized for being human.

The natural man is an enemy of God.  That's what you're being.

Am I destined for eternal damnation for not feeling guilty for being a 40-something year old woman who slept with man she adored, loved and wanted to marry?

No.  You are sentenced to intense pain right now and in the future because you bonded sexually gave yourself to a man you were otherwise holding back from.  The natural recourse right now is incredible pain and it will remain so until you realize your error and turn from it back to God (aka repent).  If you do not forsake sin-- if you truly love your sins more than the Lord, then it's your sins and not the Lord which will keep you company.  

Also, your age is of zero importance here.

I don't understand how to repent for this whenI don't feel guilt or shame.

Do you feel pain from this break up?  Does it hurt more than your previous?  Do you know why?

I do feel profound sorrow if my actions took my boyfriend at the time away from this worthiness as a parent and denied his family blessings. 

Besides the point.  YOU are not supposed to keep the Law of Chasity just for what it does to your boyfriend, but all what it does to YOU.

. On this note, I've been physically ill when I think about it. I feel as if this is yet another way the church attempts to drive single people away from the church. "Be good, but you have any of the blessings of a mate or a child".

Who said you can't have the blessings of having a mate?  That's what marriage is about!  FULLY commit to the the person and enjoy all the blessings therein.   Don't half commit via sex but still hold you ring/heart/finances/whatever back-- that's just going to leave you with a broken heart.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

Repentance 101:

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-19-repentance

Summary - you need all of these:
- Recognize our sins
- Feel sorrow for our sins
- Forsake our sins
- Confess our sins
- Make restitution
- Forgive others
- Go forth keeping the commandments

Many of these individually are good things all by themselves, or even in groups of 2 or 3.  But yeah, you need them all if you're going to fully repent and avail yourself of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. 

I understand that, in today's world, some Mormon women find themselves in a fix when they hit middle age and are unmarried.  I understand this is partially due to the fact that we lose too many young men and there is at least a slight gender imbalance.

But surely there is a better solution to this than just giving up on eternal life and breaking the law of chastity?  In fact, I cannot think of a worse feasible solution to being single in middle age than giving up on eternal life and breaking the law of chastity (which is just as serious of a sin, if not more so, if you are 40 than if you are 18).  A potential eternity of pain for a few minutes of fun is not a good bargain.  The whole thing didn't even lead to a lasting relationship.  I would say the devil cheated OP thoroughly.

OP, please, please, please go talk to your bishop and repent.  It is not too late for you, but you need to fix things now while you still have a chance.  If you can't feel remorse for what you did, pray and ask for the gift of feeling remorse.  Please, please, please pray and communicate with Heavenly Father on this.  Your eternity is on the line.

1 hour ago, DoctorLemon said:

A potential eternity of pain for a few minutes of fun is not a good bargain.

What win I, if I gain the thing I seek?
A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy.
Who buys a minute's mirth to wail a week?
Or sells eternity to get a toy?
For one sweet grape who will the vine destroy?
Or what fond beggar, but to touch the crown,
Would with the sceptre straight be strucken down?

3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

None of this matters.  The Law of Chasity applies equally to all ages, and is for much more than just having/not having kids. 

@Sledge, of course being in a sexual relationship made you feel closer to this man and more bonded to him-- that's was sex is for, to bond people!  But you sexually bonded with a person you were not bonded to in all ways (aka marriage) and the natural result of that it brokenness.  Brokenness of your heart, relationship, spirit, etc.  Does this breakup not feel more painful than your previous ones?

If you truly love someone, then truly commit to them, and then enjoy all the bonding under the sun.  Don't completely bond with someone whom you and he are not 100% truly committed together-- that is just the recipe for anguish.  Being truly 100% committed includes includes putting the ring on and formally saying "I do".  Otherwise you two are holding back and selling yourself short.  

Why didn't you fully commit to him (aka marry) before committing sexually to him?  Why sell yourself short?  (You don't need to answer that question on the forum, it's more for you to think about).  

No.  You are sentenced to intense pain right now and in the future because you bonded sexually gave yourself to a man you were otherwise holding back from.  The natural recourse right now is incredible pain and it will remain so until you realize your error and turn from it back to God (aka repent).  If you do not forsake sin-- if you truly love your sins more than the Lord, then it's your sins and not the Lord which will keep you company.  

Do you feel pain from this break up?  Does it hurt more than your previous?  Do you know why?

Who said you can't have the blessings of having a mate?  That's what marriage is about!  FULLY commit to the the person and enjoy all the blessings therein.   Don't half commit via sex but still hold you ring/heart/finances/whatever back-- that's just going to leave you with a broken heart.  

I was going to post these same sentiments, so I'll just quote you again.

"None of this matters.  The Law of Chasity applies equally to all ages, and is for much more than just having/not having kids. 

"@Sledge, of course being in a sexual relationship made you feel closer to this man and more bonded to him-- that's was sex is for, to bond people!  But you sexually bonded with a person you were not bonded to in all ways (aka marriage) and the natural result of that it brokenness.  Brokenness of your heart, relationship, spirit, etc.  Does this breakup not feel more painful than your previous ones?

"If you truly love someone, then truly commit to them, and then enjoy all the bonding under the sun.  Don't completely bond with someone whom you and he are not 100% truly committed together-- that is just the recipe for anguish.  Being truly 100% committed includes includes putting the ring on and formally saying "I do".  Otherwise you two are holding back and selling yourself short.  

"Why didn't you fully commit to him (aka marry) before committing sexually to him?  Why sell yourself short?  (You don't need to answer that question on the forum, it's more for you to think about).  

"No.  You are sentenced to intense pain right now and in the future because you bonded sexually gave yourself to a man you were otherwise holding back from....

"Do you feel pain from this break up?  Does it hurt more than your previous?  Do you know why?

"Who said you can't have the blessings of having a mate?  That's what marriage is about!  FULLY commit to the the person and enjoy all the blessings therein.   Don't half commit via sex but still hold you ring/heart/finances/whatever back-- that's just going to leave you with a broken heart."

Dear @Sledge,

I regret to inform you that the previous information you have received pertaining to the age requirement for no longer being subjected to the law of chastity was incorrect.  The correct age at which you may fornicate freely is 53 years 7 months and 11 days if you are single, and 58 years 3 months and 6 days if you are widowed or divorced.  As a result, your act of fornication will in fact be considered abominable before the Lord.  Shame on Him for making such an unfair rule!  Not to worry, just come down and hang out with me after you finish living, the heat is not as bad as they say.

Sincerely,

Screwtape

p.p. person0

6 hours ago, Grunt said:

As a non-member, I have a question.   If you don't feel guilt for the act, but you do feel guilt for breaking God's law, can you still be repentant?   

@Grunt, I'm not sure how that makes any sense. The first thing is to want to follow God's laws. If you truly want to follow the path God has set for you, you'll start walking it, even if you don't fully understand it all or fully agree with it all, just start. Take small steps toward God. Eventually you will either turn away from Him, or you will let Him shape you into what He wants you to be. If you let Him do this, after awhile (could be years), you will start to feel guilt for things you haven't repented of.

Coming back to your question, I think I can make sense of it. It sounds like a case of loving the sin. When you love the sin you really want to do it, and may only feel guilty knowing you are breaking God's law. But if you follow the path that God has for you, you will gradually come to hate/abhor the sin itself. This is my belief. The more I follow His commandments and walk the straight and narrow path, the more I hate sin and love obedience.

I noticed OP described the law of chastity as near impossible to follow.

My first reaction was to scoff and say, I was married right before turning 24 and never came within 100 miles of breaking the law of chastity in those 24 years!

Then I realized... If you are getting into serious relationships with unworthy men who are asking you to break the law of chastity all the time, it probably is a very difficult law to keep.

So let this post be cautionary.  Please, please watch who you are dating.  You may scoff now and tell yourself you can resist temptation, but the devil is an expert at wearing people down.  Please do not date unworthy men who do not respect morality, or in 10 or 20 years you may find yourself guilty of fornication and facing the consequences.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I noticed OP described the law of chastity as near impossible to follow.

My first reaction was to scoff and say, I was married right before turning 24 and never came within 100 miles of breaking the law of chastity in those 24 years!

Then I realized... If you are getting into serious relationships with unworthy men who are asking you to break the law of chastity all the time, it probably is a very difficult law to keep.

So let this post be cautionary.  Please, please watch who you are dating.  You may scoff now and tell yourself you can resist temptation, but the devil is an expert at wearing people down.  Please do not date unworthy men who do not respect morality, or in 10 or 20 years you may find yourself guilty of fornication and facing the consequences.

I think like all sins, it comes down to our personality. Tom and Cindy might find it very easy to stay chaste, but very hard to stay sober from alcohol and drugs. Steve might find it easy to avoid drugs, sex, and alcohol, but finds it hard to avoid being self righteous and arrogant (also sins). So a lot depends on personality. 

I'm pulling names out of the sky here. 

Edited by MormonGator

14 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think like all sins, it comes down to our personality. Tom and Cindy might find it very easy to stay chaste, but very hard to stay sober from alcohol and drugs. Steve might find it easy to avoid drugs, sex, and alcohol, but finds it hard to avoid being self righteous and arrogant (also sins). So a lot depends on personality. 

I'm pulling names out of the sky here. 

Are you sure? You named my family and described their sins, to a "T"! Note to self: it's not a good time to tell everyone my name is "Tom".

:animatedlol:

@Sledge I'm a little confused. You say he held the priesthood, yet he was disfellowshipped before, during, and after your three month relationship? 

I really hate to tell this to you (mostly because I'm simultaneously telling it to my younger self) but is three months really enough time to decide you love someone enough to break commandments with them? It sounds to me like he was using you. He probably found comfort in your physical presence, clothed and otherwise, but if he loved you and the Gospel, he would be finding comfort in the arms of Jesus instead of yours. I dated a divorced man who put it this way: "I have a hard time stopping at kissing because I'm used to not having to stop." Your guy was in that boat. 

You may not feel guilty about it now because your judgment is still a little clouded over from this relationship, but I guarantee someday you will. Judgement Day, if not sooner. Hopefully sooner.

The Lord loves you and wants you to repent.  Jesus did not condemn the woman taken in adultery.  But He counseled her to "go and sin no more."

Apparently a lot of people have reacted negatively to your post.  I'm afraid I'm not going to make it easier.  

On 7/20/2017 at 10:38 PM, Sledge said:

I don't feel guilty for sharing an intimate physical relationship with someone I truly loved.

I don't actually believe this.  I don't think you do either.  No remorse over it?  It's just a silly rule that a bunch of old men made up?  No, you know that it is a law of God, not of man.  You know how serious it is.  But you're currently mired in denial.  You're a good person.  How could a good person be guilty of so serious a sin?  You couldn't be.  So, obviously, it wasn't a sin.

I need you to pay attention: Oh, yes it is!  You've tried to justify it by saying,"But I truly loved him."  You truly loved him?  So much that you left him after three years?  That doesn't sound like "true love." Once you've thrown that out the window, what justification do you have?  The truth is that even if you include it, do you really think that is justification to break the law of chastity?

That said, the Lord still loves you and wants you to repent.  He's holding His hand out to you and is asking you to come back into the fold.  But you need to recognize His commandments.

On 2017-07-21 at 7:31 AM, Grunt said:

The very first step of repentance is to recognize you did something wrong.  No justifying it, no blame shifting.  The second step is to regret it, and the greater the sin the greater the regret should be.  You can go through the motions of the other steps, but if you don't accept you are in the wrong and don't regret doing it then all the other outward actions are hypocrisy and mean nothing to God.

On 2017-07-20 at 11:38 PM, Sledge said:

I feel horribly guilty because I don't feel guilty for sharing an intimate physical relationship with someone I truly loved. In fact, I was overwhelmed with the bond the act gave to our relationship. I do feel guilty that I engaged in the act with a man who was not able to take advantage of all of the blessings of the church. He was disfellowshiped before I met him and remained so while we were together. 

In the past, I have had many relationships with very good non-members dissolve when I told them I would not engage in pre-marital sex. I struggle with people who are married with families who tell me I cannot engage in the sex act with someone I truly love after going a lifetime of trying to follow a near impossible rule. Now, I struggle with the reality, as stated by our leaders, I've committed an act that is seen as secondly only to murder and refusing the Holy Ghost because I have not had the opportunity to be married. I feel I'm being penalized for being human.

Ultimately our relationship didn't last due to challenges with his children. One child who was dealing with significant addition and behavioral issues and another adult child who was diagnoised with a severe mental illness. I spent quite a bit of time in rehab units and psych wards caring and praying for the well being and safety of his children. The stresses that accompany these situations is intense and have broken 20+ year marriages, to state it mildly. 

Am I destined for eternal damnation for not feeling guilty for being a 40-something year old woman who slept with man she adored, loved and wanted to marry? I don't understand how to repent for this whenI don't feel guilt or shame. I do feel profound sorrow if my actions took my boyfriend at the time away from this worthiness as a parent and denied his family blessings. On this note, I've been physically ill when I think about it. I feel as if this is yet another way the church attempts to drive single people away from the church. "Be good, but you have any of the blessings of a mate or a child".

Thoughts?

You are in rebellion against God thinking that you know better than He how things should be.  Yes, being single and celibate all life long is not an easy thing, but everybody has something hard to bear in their life and those who do it well are rewarded after.  We are not given burdens bigger than what we are able to bear and this life is not meant to be some kind of vacation, it is a test, it is a school.  You have no valid excuses for what you did.

The power of procreation is the most sacred and god-like ability we have been given, and you have abused it.  This is a serious matter even if you don't recognize that right now.  You have separated yourself from God in a big way and God is no longer able to bless your life the same as before.  Do you think when you do something like this and don't repent that he can justify blessing you with a good husband, now or in the eternities?  He can't.  If you do not repent of this, you will wind up single and celebrate for all eternity.

If you do repent however you can restore your relationship with God and he can bless you life.  You can become worthy of having a righteous eternal companion and if you don't find him in this life you will find each other after.  To do that you can't go around trying to justify your actions, make excuses for what you did, or shift blame onto the church.  The church is not trying to drive anyone out, it is trying to lead people to eternal happiness.  You have to full up acknowledge that you were wrong to do what you did, and feel an appropriate level of remorse over it.  Then go to your Bishop and seek his help in working through the repentance process.  I hope that you manage to get to that point, you will be happier after you repent of this.

• 3 months later...

Ok, back to the OP....

If you do not feel guilty for participating in fornication, then so be it.  That is far from the end of the world.  Sometimes you may take longer, or perhaps not one bit ever.  I'll let you and our Father in Heaven tackle that one.

I will say that I have been married once before.  And I have been celibate, i.e. "sexless", since Jan. of 2000.  Going on 18 years.  It can be hard to do, yes.  Harder for me as I know what there is to sex.  But now, hard for you as well for the same reason.  It's hard to deal with, I know the feelings can be immense, but our Father in Heaven said it is to be. 

On 7/21/2017 at 7:49 PM, seashmore said:

I really hate to tell this to you (mostly because I'm simultaneously telling it to my younger self) but is three months really enough time to decide you love someone enough to break commandments with them?

Okay, this question doesn't make sense.   Love = the honest and pure and all-consuming desire to bring joy to someone.  Joy = Christ.

So... how can you love someone enough to... bring him AWAY from joy?  

This is what I'm teaching my sons - when you LOVE someone, you will do everything in your power to honor your priesthood because dishonoring your priesthood means you don't want her blessed with it.  If she tempts you to dishonor your priesthood that means either of 2 things:  1.) she doesn't know Christ, and in this case your response would be to teach her better and if she persists, then walk away, 2.) she doesn't love you, and in this case you would pray for her and walk away.

Edited by anatess2