Girls in BSA

The Folk Prophet

@The Folk Prophet

AgenderAndrogyneAndrogynousBigenderCisCisgenderCis FemaleCis MaleCis ManCis WomanCisgender FemaleCisgender MaleCisgender ManCisgender WomanFemale to MaleFTMGender FluidGender NonconformingGender QuestioningGender VariantGenderqueerIntersexMale to FemaleMTFNeitherNeutroisNon-binaryOtherPangenderTransTrans*Trans FemaleTrans* FemaleTrans MaleTrans* MaleTrans ManTrans* ManTrans PersonTrans* PersonTrans WomanTrans* WomanTransfeminineTransgenderTransgender FemaleTransgender MaleTransgender ManTransgender PersonTransgender WomanTransmasculineTranssexualTranssexual FemaleTranssexual MaleTranssexual ManTranssexual PersonTranssexual WomanTwo-Spiri Scouts of America

From my understanding the Venture, Explorers, and Sea Scouts which girls participated in in the past are very small parts of Boy Scouts. This opens up the large majority of the scouting program to girls as well.

I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing (unlike other recent scouting decisions).  However, I don't see how they will be able to keep calling it Boy Scouts for very long, there will eventually be a pointless uproar about a name change.  I would say this is probably a money move as the Church is on the verge of pulling out.  It could just be called Scouts of America, I suppose.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Vort said:

I am sad that my youngest will probably never get the chance to earn his Eagle Scout rank. Oh, well.

@Vort, you just nailed it. That is who I feel the most sorry for. Families like yours where that sort of thing is important. I'm sorry that that'll happen to your son. 

14 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Do you think this will cause the church to move up its new programs?

I don't think the Church will make any moves until after President Monson dies.  He is a Silver Buffalo recipient, and big proponent of the scouting program.  However, I would say that in a general sense, this could place more urgency on completing preparations for the new programs.

34 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Do you think this will cause the church to move up its new programs?

The new programs are already in the works- that's common knowledge.  It's already been declared we're talking out the door and one foot is already there (the older boys).  The other foot (the younger boys) is coming.  I don't see this really "rushing" the moving out-- is so much that "rushing" equates to "haste makes waste".  But it's happening, and this is just another nail in that already 3-times-nailed-shut coffin.  

(Wow- how many metaphors can I fit into one post!)

Edited by Jane_Doe

3 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

The new programs are already in the works- that's common knowledge.  It's already been declared we're talking out the door and one foot is already there (the older boys).  The other foot (the younger boys) is coming.  I don't see this really "rushing" the moving out-- is so much that "rushing" equates to "haste makes waste".  But it's happening, and this is just another nail in that already 3-times-nailed-shut coffin.  

(Wow- how many metaphors can I fit into one post!)

I mostly ask because I have two boys at "that age".  I don't want to involve them in BSA, so I was hoping something was started in my area soon.

3 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I mostly ask because I have two boys at "that age".  I don't want to involve them in BSA, so I was hoping something was started in my area soon.

Well, it seems probable that the Church-run scout troops (or whatever they're called) won't have girls in them before the Church pulls out entirely...

6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Assuming it's like every other program release, it'll be a grand international release with lots of press.  As it is now, LDS troops aren't really like other BSA troops in function/size/interest/operations/stress.  They haven't been in years.   Frankly, a lot of other BSA folks consider LDS troops only BSA in name.   That was some of the original drivers for the split long before this gay/girl stuff came up.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, it seems probable that the Church-run scout troops (or whatever they're called) won't have girls in them before the Church pulls out entirely...

I'm more concerned with pulling them out of an organization in which the kids build upon their past achievements.

Just now, Grunt said:

I'm more concerned with pulling them out of an organization in which the kids build upon their past achievements.

The actual achievements of any program are the skills learned, experiences, and growth.  The token badges or anything like that don't really matter. 

4 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

The actual achievements of any program are the skills learned, experiences, and growth.  The token badges or anything like that don't really matter. 

And if there's something akin to an Eagle Scout award, you'd think the Church-run program would accept prior scout achievements one-for-one (and perhaps re-issue whatever badges / certificates are needed).  But I could be wrong.  I know pretty much nothing about either version.

The regimen they’re talking about for cub scouts doesn’t sound too bad—dens are still gender segregated.  But Scout Camp is going to be a mess.

Meanwhile, for your consideration:  The Robert F. Gates White Feather Award

Shadenfreude moment:  the Girl Scouts are apparently livid about this.

Yeap .  . . welcome to liberal hell where everyone is "equal" and we can't have nice things.

Stupid, stupid move by BSA, but I personally predicated this when the BSA let in homosexual leaders. Just wait, eventually the requirements for Eagle will be dumbed-down. 50 miler over 3 days for 15 year-old girls . . .lol. Philmont . . .lol.  What a bunch of morons.  Women are the physically weaker sex, it's biology, it's facts but the left lives in their own make-believe fantasy world.

I've done things in BSA that were physically challenging and this for 14-16 year-old boys, in fact that was a significant portion of the program.14-16 year old boys and girls intermingled at a Scout Camp with leaders of different sexes.  Hmm, how could that ever go wrong? My guess is that over time it will turn into a very, very wicked organization.

If homosexuality in BSA didn't put the nail in the coffin of BSA this absolutely will.  Oh it will still exist, but it will not do the same thing; which was to train and teach boys how to become men.  It was originally designed as a precurser to being in the military.

You just wait, this will also be used in some fashion to eventually promote pedaphilia.  It is coming folks just give it time.  Just change the word boy to "other men" and you'll see what this homosexual crowd has done to society. It destroyed BSA, just wait to see what else it destroys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association

NAMBLA's website states that it is a political, civil rights, and educational organization whose goal is to end "the extreme oppression of men and boys in mutually consensual relationships".[8] According to NAMBLA, some of the organization's positions are:

• Supporting and promoting man/boy relationships: the organization says that when consensual, these relationships are not harmful or amount to child sexual abuse. They cite a controversial paper by Rind et al.;[9]
  • Age of consent reform: what NAMBLA describes as "empowerment of youth in all areas, not just the sexual";[8]
  • Opposition to corporal punishment, kidnapping and rape.[10]

In a different direction: I am unfamiliar with GSA in general, other than knowing that it exists. What might this mean for GSA? Will girls who otherwise would have joined GSA opt for BSA instead? Will the two organizations compete for members, or will they opt to join forces into one? Will GSA start accepting Boys to balance? What does it mean for "social justice" if girls still have a female only club to join, but boys no longer have a male only club?