Words that drive you crazy...

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

Do you have a word or words that just bug you?  I once heard that a lot of people don't like the word moist.  I think I don't have a problem with a "moist cake".  But a word that bugs me every time I see it is...whilst.  I realize it is a British term for while, and not offense to the Brits, it just drives me crazy.  

How about you?

1. Irregardless...that is nails on a chalkboard for me.

2. Overuse of 'like' or 'you know'. I'll get to the point in a conversation where I just start counting them and not listening to anything else.

3. Wrong use of 'literally'.  That's why Captain Literally is one of my faves on Studio C.

Adults who describe cool/neat things as "sick". 

Also I hate the word "aesthetically". Probably because I never can successfully pronounce it, but in my line of work people say it all the time and it is not "sick" in the least. 

I despise the word "app" and never use it.  I say "software" or "program" or "application." 

I also hate how "sexy" is used to describe everything.  To say a car or a smart phone is "sexy" is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I do like the words righteous, freedom and liberty.

Guest Godless

Not words so much as slang-y phrases. People call everything they like "on point" these days. It makes me feel a little homicidal. 

Apparenly the new term is "on fleek".

I gave wracked my brain for words I hate.

I am sensitive to "all of a sudden" and "suddenly". I have a brother who once struggled speech-wise. Those were his lead words to help him start sentences. Despite having done drama and the highest choir during high school, he still has those words as habit. Grates at the whole family... dude, do you still need to do that?

But otherwise... I like words.

And I am sorry to say I love dropping the word "whilst".

Edited by Backroads

Do you have a word or words that just bug you? I once heard that a lot of people don't like the word moist. I think I don't have a problem with a "moist cake". But a word that bugs me every time I see it is...whilst. I realize it is a British term for while, and not offense to the Brits, it just drives me crazy.

How about you?

Have you been watching the British Baking Show ?? Lol !!! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Not words so much as pronunciations: aks instead of ask, avaidable instead of available.

My husband hated "these ones" (redundant, unless you're talking about "these one dollar bills" as opposed to "those one dollar bills", though possibly unnecessary even in that case).

In related news, I once had to resort to a dictionary to figure out how to spell shoe (and this was not that many years ago).  It was one of those moments when nothing seemed right. (The internal conversation went something like this: s-h-o-w? No, that's show. s-h-o-o? No, that's for flies.  s-h-e-w? No, that's biblical.  How the heck do you spell that word?!) :embarrassed:

Words awful to my sensitive beating heart:

1) Aight

2) Case in point (probably cause I don't grasp the etymology of the word phrase, "point in case," much better)

3) like (repetitively used, as others)

4) Politically Correct (PC, not to be confused with PC)

5) Gun Control

6) Democrat/Libertarian -- you know someone saw that one coming  :P

Edited by Anddenex

By the way, the word shew is pronounced "show". In case you care.

In my defense, it was one of those weird moments when nothing looked / seemed correct - I had known for decades how to spell shoe, and had I actually been writing, I could probably have done it without thinking, but I was thinking (and apparently couldn't do it without writing). :crackup:

(I had to google "aight".  Did you hear the one about the guy whose left side was cut off?  He's all right now. ::running for cover::)