New Temple Predictions

SilentOne

22 hours ago, SilentOne said:

Monaco...San Marino...Vatican City

Among the microstates, I predict a temple first in Vatican City.

(I visited San Marino (pronounced "sammareenoh") on my mission. Lovely little city/nation. Had its own lire coinage, too, identical in value to Italy's. I suppose that's all gone by the wayside with the advent of the euro.)

Retalhuleu, Guatemala

Iquitos, Peru

Teresina, Brazil

Natal, Brazil

Tuguegarao City, Philippines

Iloilo, Philippines

Jakarta, Indonesia

Hamburg, Germany

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

San Jose, California

Bakersfield, California

Springfield, Missouri

Winchester, Virginia

Charlotte, North Carolina

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

No Utah. That's a little unexpected.

I thought somebody had guessed Bakersfield before, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the thread.

By my count, that makes 6 temples built or planned for Guatemala, 7 for Peru, 20 for Brazil, 12 for Philippines, 1 for Indonesia, 3 for Germany, 10 for Canada (4 Alberta), and 104 for the US (13 California, 3 Missouri, 3 Pennsylvania, 2 Virginia, 2 North Carolina).

16 hours ago, LDSGator said:

The DC temple is gorgeous. I love how it just sort of pops up on you on the highway. 

I remember seeing it for the first time.  Coming around a bend on the freeway and it looked like it was sitting in the middle of the freeway at first.  

On 4/2/2023 at 6:02 PM, Godless said:

My parents are really excited about Harrisburg. They live in that area and go to the Philadelphia temple (and sometimes DC).

Philadelphia is lovely, and very well situated—the Church couldn’t have asked for a better site there.

There are so many Utah temples under construction, I wonder if the GAs are waiting for a few of those to come online before re-assessing the need for any additional temples in the area.  (Utah County has three under construction, with the original Provo temple slated to close soon for renovations.)

On the other hand:  Indonesia has fewer than 8,000 members in the whole country, and they’re getting a temple.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Philadelphia is lovely, and very well situated—the Church couldn’t have asked for a better site there.

It’s really nice there. A few blocks over before you get to the historic district is quite the contrast. I seem to remember the World Report mentioning that the Church poured in a bunch of money on city improvements when building that temple. Not sure why it didn’t get the same hate as the improvements around the SLC temple.

41 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

It’s really nice there. A few blocks over before you get to the historic district is quite the contrast. I seem to remember the World Report mentioning that the Church poured in a bunch of money on city improvements when building that temple. Not sure why it didn’t get the same hate as the improvements around the SLC temple.

Yup, they built a 32-story commercial high rise nearby.  The city seems to have been kinder to the Church than SLC has been, perhaps because—unlike SLC—they haven’t gotten to the point where they can take the Church’s perpetual presence and ongoing community development efforts for granted.

I happened to be at a child welfare conference in Philly during the temple’s open house around 2016; so I went over to see it and missed the bus from the temple area back to my hotel afterwards.  I started walking back, took a wrong turn or two, and pretty soon it became obvious that I was in Philadelphia’s equivalent of a gay district.  Interesting trip . . . 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Oh, possibly.  There are still vast tracts of Utah that just aren't that populated.  I'd guess that 99%+ of Utahns are within 2 hours, but here are the 25 temples in Utah as of 2020:

Utah and its 25 temples — 'a recognition of the deep commitment and  faithfulness' - Church News

Roughly adheres to the population heat map:

File:Carte Utah population.png - Wikimedia Commons

Thanks bud. Like many people from the east I often forget just how huge the western states are. 

• 5 months later...

Up-to-date no-temple locations list:

North American States/Provinces/Territories

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Yukon

Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Northern Mariana Islands, Rhode Island, South Dakota, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Aguascalientes, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Colima, Durango, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Michoacan, Nayarit, Quintana Roo, Tlaxcala, Zacatecas

Africa

Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia

Asia/Middle East

Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

Europe

Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Vatican City

Also Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

Central America/Caribbean

Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu

South America

Guyana, Suriname

Also French Guiana and the Falklands

Utah Counties

Beaver, Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Garfield, Grand, Juab, Kane, Millard, Morgan, Piute, Rich, Sevier, Summit, Wasatch, Wayne

On 4/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Oh, possibly.  There are still vast tracts of Utah that just aren't that populated.  I'd guess that 99%+ of Utahns are within 2 hours, but here are the 25 temples in Utah as of 2020:

Utah and its 25 temples — 'a recognition of the deep commitment and  faithfulness' - Church News

Roughly adheres to the population heat map:

File:Carte Utah population.png - Wikimedia Commons

Can we assume that in the USA no temples will be built (ever?) on government land?

The Traveler

It seems a reasonable assumption (my imaginings of how a temple would be allowed on government-owned land all involve a dramatic enough change to not really still be the USA), but now I am amusing myself with the idea of the Canyonlands and Capitol Reef temples.

I sure hope they build another one in Southern Japan.  They really need one.  The Tokyo temple is at full capacity.  And Church membership in the Osaka region is high enough to warrant at least one of those part-time temples (I don't know what the formal name for them is).

Interesting side-note: I spoke with a guest speaker at one of our stake conferences.  He was from Salt Lake,  not a seventy or anything in the chain of command.  He was involved in some auxiliary. 

He mentioned plans to build a portable temple that would be a completely stable structure.  Blocks of it would be manufactured and placed like lego blocks in various locations as needed.  They would be disassembled and shipped to a new location as necessary.

I told him that the two biggest challenges would be to provide water/sewer, and the placement of the baptismal font.  

I explained to him that I understood the logistics of it because I had some experience in designing such facilities.  And he nodded.  But nothing came of it.

Still no portable temples.

1 hour ago, zil2 said:

No, but apparently there's now a modular temple - Helena, Montana, if I remember right.  Much faster to build. :)

Modular construction in general is how a lot of buildings are now being done, especially homes. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this is how many of the smaller temples are handled in the future, with at least some of the components being prefabricated.