Last vote for forum name change

pam

Last vote for name change  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Of these two choices, which do you prefer? One is keeping the name but adding forum

• Third Hour Forum
    • Mormon Hub Forum

47 minutes ago, pam said:

That part of the website is changing to Third Ward.

Seriously? 😫 I know you said you were just the messenger; are you able to suggest any of the many great ideas that have been presented here? Since it is the More Good Foundation, did anyone toss around the MoreGoodForum?

I think the Church's name provides the template that will resolve this across the board.

This morning during General Conference I listened to the Choir of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was so good I had to come here and post on the Hub of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm planning a trip for next year to travel on the Trail of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To prepare, I'm learning all about the Battalion of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I hope I don't run into any Crickets of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

You know, we probably shouldn't name our colleges after people either. Any one else go to the University of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

1.  @pam, where does “third ward” come from?

2.  The spirit of President Nelson’s talk, I thought, had to do with describing ourselves in such a way that reaffirms our love for, trust in, and reliance on our Savior.  In that sense, while “Third Hour” is catchy and complies with the *letter* of the law, I wonder whether the tone it strikes is substantively better than what we already have.  

We will probably have some trepidation about using the Lord’s name for an Internet discussion forum; but perhaps we can come up with something a bit more aspirational.  Maybe “Ongoing Restoration” or “Continuing Revelation” or “Becoming Saints” or “Visitors Welcome” or “Zion Online” or “The Council House”?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 hours ago, pam said:

Man  you guys.  Don't shoot the messenger here.

If you're the messenger, why not shoot? I could do with the bounty that I've heard is on  your head. Hold still for a moment please. 

Edited by askandanswer

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. IMO MormonHub was fine, not the name I'd have chosen but fine. I'd prefer something involving LDS as others here have mentioned.

Pres. Nelson was very emphatic about using the proper name of the Church. The forum isn't connected to the Church as such, except that it's owned (and mostly populated) by members of said Church. What Pres. Nelson didn't call for was expunging the word "Mormon" from our vocabulary or vernacular, but we do need to stop using it to refer to the Church.

"Third Hour" is quite a nice title actually, IMO, if the forum was specifically for seasoned Mormons (whoops, old habits die hard) members who miss three-hour meeting. Kind of an insider reference. But as has been mentioned - it would be difficult for an outsider to identify what the forum is about.

All that being said, I'll be most annoyed if my bookmarks break, so as long as the "mormonhub.com" URL redirects to the right place I'll be happy.

I got a different idea regarding the name of the forum.  President Nelson's talk in Conference emphasized how we should take upon ourselves the Name of the Lord.  We should not be calling ourselves Mormons, and doing so saddens the Lord and thwarts his purposes.

My thoughts then is a suggestion for a NEW name along those lines.

LDS Christian Hub

Christian Hub

Latter-day Saint Christians

Christians of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Christian Saints

In my opinion, something that shows that we are taking upon ourselves the name of our Lord and as such are his followers.

10 hours ago, pam said:

they won't get Latter-day Saint either

They will if the Lord's people follow his commands over the long haul until such time as the Church becomes known as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - which is the whole point.  We should be looking at this as a long-term change.

"Third Hour" is an insider joke that in 2 or 3 generations, even members of the Church won't understand (any more than recent generations understand references to meeting schedules before the 3-hour block).

7 hours ago, JamesZA said:

What Pres. Nelson didn't call for was expunging the word "Mormon" from our vocabulary or vernacular, but we do need to stop using it to refer to the Church.

But also to stop using it to refer to members of the Church.  I'm in favor of dropping "Mormon" except for references to the person, the book, and confirming / clarification for those who know us under that name.

Edited by zil

9 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

1.  @pam, where does “third ward” come from?

2.  The spirit of President Nelson’s talk, I thought, had to do with describing ourselves in such a way that reaffirms our love for, trust in, and reliance on our Savior.  In that sense, while “Third Hour” is catchy and complies with the *letter* of the law, I wonder whether the tone it strikes is substantively better than what we already have.  

We will probably have some trepidation about using the Lord’s name for an Internet discussion forum; but perhaps we can come up with something a bit more aspirational.  Maybe “Ongoing Restoration” or “Continuing Revelation” or “Becoming Saints” or “Visitors Welcome” or “Zion Online” or “The Council House”?

Where do you get Third Ward?  

7 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Yes they will, and yes they do.

Actually no they don't presently.  We have ways of tracking what keywords are used the most to find us.

14 minutes ago, zil said:

"Third Hour" is an insider joke that in 2 or 3 generations, even members of the Church won't understand (any more than recent generations understand references to meeting schedules before the 3-hour block).

As many times as we've changed the name since I've been associated which next month is 20 years, it probably won't make it to the next generation anyway.  

22 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

@pam, you'll have our support no matter what the name changes to. We aren't going anywhere. 

Speak for yourself! I, for one, will have no part of the Brony Saints' Forum!

...wait a minute. That would actually be pretty cool. I take it back.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

...wait a minute. That would actually be pretty cool. I take it back.

Start your own forum then.  It would be you, Mormongater and Neuro Typical.  )

30 minutes ago, Vort said:

Welcome to "Vort's gonna be sorry he made that joke!"

First of all, it already exists on facebook.
It's called "Latter-day Bronies", and I'm a moderator there too.
We're having a similar argument about what to name ourselves.  Probably won't change the name.

Truth be told, there's a Latter Day Bronies forum, a LDB forum that allows spoilers, and a LDB forum for admins to discuss things.  Not to mention a small LDB forum that specializes in Star Wars Pony stuff.  Not to mention the Christian Bronies forum, the Bronies for Christ, an MLP Shooters group, and the versions that allow debate. 

These are just the Christian-related MLP forums.  Do not underestimate the power of a passionate fandom.

• pam locked this topic
  • pam unpinned this topic