If you were not LDS what religion would you be?

omegaseamaster75

The answers to this question are interesting.  I'm a convert to the Church.  I was a dedicated seeker of truth all through my high school years and into early adulthood.  I read everything I could get my hands on about religion--all religion.  I was all about finding what I called "Truth with a capital 'T'" and I wouldn't settle for anything less.

I first felt stirrings of faith when I was a young boy, about age 10.  I responded to an altar call after hearing a powerful Baptist preacher warn that, if you didn't believe in Jesus, you'd burn in hell forever.  As a 10-year old, that was too scary to consider.  An altar call is when the penitent who want to be saved go up to the front of the church and the preacher or deacons pray the "Sinner's Prayer" with you.  After a while, I came to understand that my actions were motivated out of fear, not faith in Christ.  Hellfire is an effective way to scare people into being "saved."  Of course, nothing else was to be expected after that and I eventually drifted away.

In my high school years, I attended Methodist services with some friends because they had a big, active youth group.  It was there that I had my first experiences with what I now recognize as the Holy Spirit.  On one occasion, I felt that sense of warmth and tenderness while taking the communion (sacrament).  Another time, the minister had us re-enact the washing of feet that Jesus did for his apostles.  Actually, we didn't wash feet, but we washed one another's hands.  It was a very spiritual thing.  I regard those moments today as steps that were guided by the light of Christ to lead me to a greater light.

I drifted away from Christianity for a time and explored Hinduism and Buddhism and I found great comfort and truth in those religions as well.  Nevertheless, my desire for truth led me to discontinue those explorations and press onward.  It was not until I encountered the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that I found that "Truth with a capital 'T" in my life.  It was the revelation of the Holy Ghost to me and the continuing blessings of personal revelation that has kept me active in the Church for the past 35 years, through good times and hard times. 

If there was no true Church on the earth, I would still be a seeker, unaffiliated with any sect or denomination.  I would shudder to think that I would ever settle for the doctrines of men mingled with scripture for any length of time, much less commit myself to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Atheist for sure. Members of my family have been in various churches, and so far only the LDS Church actually feels right. My family's been members of the Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist, Catholic, and a number of other churches. No offense to anyone, but I just never felt comfortable till I found the LDS. And that's even with my family all turning on me!

Interesting question, with many possible answers depending on the context.

I could easily see myself being Catholic. There is a tradition of scholarship in the Catholic Church that appeals to my carnal mind. There are enough elements of true religion, such as sacrifice in caring for the poor, that could challenge me enough to embrace it. And there is great beauty and power in much of the tradition, such as the unbelievable cathedrals and many of the sacred hymns and liturgies. A very large built-in worldwide community of fellow practitioners helps. And being a Westerner, I find Catholicism strangely familiar in many situations, just because it has seeped into almost every aspect of our lives. I'm not a big fan of many aspects of its theology, such as Mariology. But honestly, I think theological concerns are overrated in almost every religion. Concern about this or that aspect of doctrine pretty much always turns out to be nonsense anyway.

I could possibly see embracing some eastern philosophy such as Buddhism, but I doubt I would be a strong adherent. I find little depth in many of such beliefs, which seem pretty vanilla and generic. I prefer a religion that actually challenges me to one that just says, "Be excellent to each other -- and party on, dudes!"

I think that Islam might actually win my vote, though. Despite the intensely negative press Islam receives in the Western world, and despite some obvious scary elements in some of its practitioners, it is a religion that combines a rigorous and demanding theology with surprising cultural flexibility and a recognition of the sacred nature of families and communities. Catholicism is far more familiar to me, but I'm thinking Islam might provide more deep resonance.

Or I might go the easy route to atheism/agnosticism. The problem there is that such a philosophy is deeply unsatisfying. It essentially says, "Everything is what you make of it, and nothing more." There is a built-in nihilism to atheism that inexorably leads to cynicism. And I find that cynicism poisons everything it touches. But then, if I left the LDS Church for some reason, I would very likely become deeply cynical, so maybe that would fit right in with my worldview.

I might have answered this thread but I'm not sure that I'd subscribe to another religion. There are many things I agree with and feel within my soul are accurate truths in various faiths, but to choose one and one alone again, would be hard. I think I'd just live life not being associated with any particular faith, and worry about being an honest human being, treating others as I wish to be treated. I do believe in Karma. What goes around eventually comes around.

With the understanding I have now I would be a spiritualist. Atheism wouldn't work for me as it can not adequately answer "morality" issues.

I wouldn't subscribe to any religion if not a member of this faith.

Per my theory of the church of sex, drugs and rock-and-roll, morality issues disappear in the drunken, stoned stupor of the true believers.

Think about it. ;)

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Ever since visiting Pleasant Hill, in Kentucky, I've wondered what it would be like to be a Shaker-in the flowering of the movement near the beginning of the 19th century. I've found the words of Ann Lee, her words" "I saw a large tree, every leaf of which shone with such brightness as made it appear like a burning torch, representing the Church of Christ, which will yet be established in this land..." and the recurring image of the flowering tree curiously moving. The emphasis on celibacy would not bother me; the communal life may have even been a tonic. Hawthorne writes very movingly-though perhaps wrongly of it in his story "The Shaker Bridal". 

I'd be a Time Lord.... If I could just find a Tardis I'd be all set.

Hey, wait!  If I keep my covenants maybe I will be a Time Lord! ... and I doubt I'll need a Tardis... also no multiple periodic regenerations needed... That only happens once, thanks to our loving Older Brother...  :)

The pessimistic view, and based on some family history, I'd almost certainly be an alcoholic... possibly a drug addict... No word of wisdom to shield me from genetics and predispositions in parts of the family on my mother's side.  I am by nature a "dabbler" in things.. so I suspect, absent the gospel, dabbling would almost certainly lead me to various addictions and ruin...