Praise to the Man

emi

Thanks for that...it's all I'm going to hear now.  Lol!

But on the vein of interchangeable tunes, this was something I learned about either on my mission or shortly before, and I enjoy doing it from time to time.  A companion (the same one I mentioned earlier in this thread, in fact) and I used to really enjoy singing Joseph Smith's Prayer to the tune of In Humility Our Savior, since they've got the same meter.  I also found that it makes you actually listen to the words more closely.

Wingnut, I've been singing "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" all day long!!!  I can't get it out of my head!  I thought I'd pass along the rest of the lyrics, and maybe it'll get stuck in your head too. (Along with anyone else who reads this)  lol

Go tell Aunt Rhody,

Go tell Aunt Rhody,

Go tell Aunt Rhody

The old gray goose is dead.

The one she's been saving,

The one she's been saving,

The one she's been saving

To make a feather bed.

The goslings are mourning,

Because their mother's dead.

The old gander's weeping,

Because his wife is dead.

She died in the mill pond,

She died in the mill pond,

She died in the mill pond

From standing on her head.

Go tell Aunt Rhody,

Go tell Aunt Rhody,

Go tell Aunt Rhody

The old gray goose is dead.

Edited by classylady

What exactly is the issue with the word Praise?

It seems like a lot of you believe that Praise should only be limited to God.  Praise is not worship.  They are not synonymous.  Yes, we should only worship God.  But that doesn't mean we can only praise God.  God is the creator of everything - praising the beauty and magnificence of his creation - including humans - is praising God.

Lots of Biblical examples of this.  Somewhere in Genesis God told Judah that his brothers shall praise him.  And somewhere in Paul's letters (can't remember which one), Paul praised the Christians for their righteousness.

Easy enough to go to scriptures.lds.org and find all the instances of the word Praise.  You will see God telling people that nations will praise them and even God praising somebody.

Praise to the Man is a very powerful hymn.  Sing it with gratitude, sing it with praise, sing it loud and strong.  Eowyn can provide accompaniment - the organ with bass notes ringing is best.

What exactly is the issue with the word Praise?

It seems like a lot of you believe that Praise should only be limited to God. Praise is not worship. They are not synonymous. Yes, we should only worship God. But that doesn't mean we can only praise God. God is the creator of everything - praising the beauty and magnificence of his creation - including humans - is praising God.

Lots of Biblical examples of this. Somewhere in Genesis God told Judah that his brothers shall praise him. And somewhere in Paul's letters (can't remember which one), Paul praised the Christians for their righteousness.

Easy enough to go to scriptures.lds.org and find all the instances of the word Praise. You will see God telling people that nations will praise them and even God praising somebody.

Praise to the Man is a very powerful hymn. Sing it with gratitude, sing it with praise, sing it loud and strong. Eowyn can provide accompaniment - the organ with bass notes ringing is best.

Amen.

This thread make me..

:roflmbo:

Obviously, we should immediately update the lyrics to be, "Moderate respect to the humanoid that communed with Jehovah."

Ah political correctness...how I love thee. Let me count the ways...

Well, thank you very much.  The tune was always vaguely familiar but I couldn't place it until Classylady wrote her post and ruined my life . . .

Right?

This thread make me..

:roflmbo:

Obviously, we should immediately update the lyrics to be, "Moderate respect to the humanoid that communed with Jehovah."

Ah political correctness...how I love thee. Let me count the ways...

Sorry...humanoid just has too many syllables.

At this point I think I can safely declare that if any of you is really a bot, you've passed the Turing Test.

"...if sufficiently many interrogators are unable to distinguish the computer from the human being then it is to be concluded that the computer thinks."

Interesting logic.

Am I the only one that has an issue with this hymn? I believe we should only give paise to God.

This song is praising God, for giving us Joseph to restore the gospel...it is all about praise to God. Heck, if Peter, or Paul came back and restored the gospel we would sing about it. Also remember that W.W. Phelps, a close friend of Joseph wrote this song, because he betrayed Joseph and was let back into the fold by him. Both men loved each other deeply...this is why Joseph was so hurt by Phelps actions and Phelps was so beholding to Joseph, and why he wrote this song.

"...if sufficiently many interrogators are unable to distinguish the computer from the human being then it is to be concluded that the computer thinks."

Interesting logic.

That summary is more or less correct, but Turing essentially said "thinking" is too poorly defined to determine if a computer does, in fact, think. Instead he proposed this test to determine if a computer produces the results of thinking (in other words, until thinking is better defined, we'll look to see if a computer's results are indistinguishable from the results of thinking).

The reason I bring it up is because the dialogue in this thread reminded me of Turing's sample dialogue.

• 2 weeks later...

Well then, by that logic, you wouldn't have any problem if the lyrics were Praise to the white man who communed with Jehovah?"  Or Praise to the American who communed with Jehovah?  Those highly offensive lyrics would not insinuate that only white men or Americans can commune with Jehovah, but their focus on one attribute of the Prophet could make some people feel excluded.

Wuh?  We're talking about one particular man's activities. There is nothing wrong with saying 'praise to the man.' 'praise to the white man,' praise to the American.'  We are referencing one person, Joseph Smith. I am a black female and I find nothing offensive in the words and certainly don't take them as meaning only JS, or only white men, or only Americans can commune with Jehovah.

I love this hymn. Not just like, I love it. When I'm working at the computer, I play the MoTab version on YouTube loud and often. I was physically thrilled when one of the Nauvoo pageant actors shouted "Praise to the Man!" and everyone sang the song. It was just great.

Lemme tell you, you want to get riled up over something - try having to make your way past shouting narrow-minded bigots before you can get into the Nauvoo pageant. Those were real words. I didn't have to guess at  what they meant.. They were ugly words - directed at me and the family I was with.

So, I'm gonna sing Praise to the Man all the time. I like it.

Edited by dahlia

Thanks for that...it's all I'm going to hear now.  Lol!

But on the vein of interchangeable tunes, this was something I learned about either on my mission or shortly before, and I enjoy doing it from time to time.  A companion (the same one I mentioned earlier in this thread, in fact) and I used to really enjoy singing Joseph Smith's Prayer to the tune of In Humility Our Savior, since they've got the same meter.  I also found that it makes you actually listen to the words more closely.

There's a section in the back of the hymnal called "meters" that groups hymns you can interchange. It's fun to work with. 

"In Humility, Our Savior", one of my favorite tunes in our collection of hymns, is originally from the hymn, "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus". 

As for some of the comments on this thread, I don't know how some of you walk straight with those enormous chips on your shoulders. 

I see both sides of the argument. Personally speaking, I am thankful for Joseph Smith, but the hymn, though beautifully written, bothers me, too. I would never want to be praised, extolled, revered, etc. Ever. All of that, in my opinion, should be reserved for none other than our Savior, Jesus Christ. But I will also say this - I don't study any modern president of the church or his revelations more so than I do Joseph Smith. 

I refuse to sing it, but for a different reason. Here are the real lyrics:

High in the misty Highlands

Out by the purple islands,

Brave are the hearts that beat

Beneath Scottish skies.

Wild are the winds to meet you,

Staunch are the friends that greet you,

Kind as the love that shines from fair maidens' eyes.

Towering in gallant fame,

Scotland my mountain hame,

High may your proud standards gloriously wave,

Land of my high endeavour,

Land of the shining river,

Land of my heart for ever,

Scotland the brave.

Thousands hold that tune sacred. I view what we did to it as asking to someone parading around in temple robes on Saturday Night Live. Disgusting.

Perhaps understanding why they changed the tune would help? The original version W. W. Phelps suggested was "Star in the East" then they changed to the tune of Scotland The Brave, not as a form of disrespect, but quite the contrary, as a form of honoring Phelp's Scottish heritage.

I had similar thoughts in the past shared here with regards to the lyrics of this hymn and being quite close to veneration/worship, but I've learned to understand and empathize with W.W.Phelps and how he probably felt when Smith was assassinated. Let's not forget that Phelps was excommunicated and became very bitter, calling himself an Anti-Mormon and even becoming a witness against Joseph Smith in the Richmond hearings.

I can only imagine how Smith must have felt seeing Phelps testifying against him and aiding to his incarceration. Just a couple of years later, Phelps wrote to Smith and asked for his forgiveness and called himself the "Prodigal Son". He was indeed very sorry for what he did to Joseph and our Prophet who was known to have a heart made of gold, did not doubt for a second and forgave him and called him a friend.

How many of us would be willing to do such a thing for one of our brethren? We are angry at our brother or sister many times for such small things or for an unkind remark here or there, well just imagine what it would be like if one of them testify against us and put us in jail!

I think we need to understand the lyrics of Praise To The Man connected to Phelps and his story and how he felt about Smith and his forgiveness for such awful betrayal. Phelps just wanted to ensure, proper respect was giving to the man who forgave something that most people wouldn't forgive.

Edited by Suzie

Anti-Mormons love to harp on this subject.  They try to make the case that we care more about Joseph Smith than Jesus.  Many converts are troubled by this because they come from a religious culture that has purposefully denied revelation and prophecy and rejected prophets and apostles for hundreds of years.  They are uncomfortable with the power and status of prophets.  The ancient Jews were the same way with John the Baptist and the apostles of Jesus.

Jesus had to instruct the Jews on the role that a prophet holds, especially one who has been given the keys for a dispensation.  The Jews rightly revered Moses, but they used their reverence for a dead prophet to justify rejection of living oracles.  Jesus told them:

Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words? (John 5:45-47)

This passage shows that Jesus honors the chain of authority down to those to whom he has committed the keys of the kingdom in various dispensations.  When people who lived in the times when Moses held the keys come to judgment before God, they are accountable for the revelations God gave them through Moses.  Moses testified of Christ. Those who claimed to believe Moses and rejected Christ were condemned by Moses' testimony and authority.

Likewise, those who rejected Peter, James, and John will be accountable to them in the day of judgment.  In our day, God committed the keys of the kingdom anew to Joseph Smith.  Every single person who has lived since that moment is accountable to him for salvation.  Those who claim to believe Jesus and reject Joseph Smith will stand accused of him at the Judgment.  No one born in this dispensation will enter the celestial kingdom without having received the covenants, ordinances, and knowledge that God revealed to the world through Joseph Smith.  This is why the Restoration is perhaps the second greatest miracle after the Resurrection.  It is the greatest fulfilled prophecy since biblical times.  

God honors his prophets.  He said that, when we receive those whom he has sent, we receive Him.  When we sing "Praise to the Man" in church, we praise the Lord who called and sent him.  Personally, I am indebted to Joseph Smith for my witness of Jesus Christ.  His testimony is the one that kindled that flame in my own heart over 35 years ago.

Worship is a most interesting concept.  For example what do we call the respect we give to those that are called to represent G-d by divine priesthood proxy.  I personally see no difference in LDS singing the hymn “Praise to the Man” in recognizing Joseph’s calling by G-d to restore so many things in this last dispensation and any Christian telling their minister that he preached an “inspired sermon”.  To me both are efforts to recognize G-d’s hand and thus the ultimate praise or worship of G-d and his inspiration given to men.  What I find disgraceful and the essence of the hypocrisy of the Scribes and Pharisees – in the perpetration that G-d inspires only them.

I would also point out that many think LDS believe themselves and their leaders to be the only one’s inspired of G-d; even though we express otherwise in our 13th Article of Faith.   My point in all this is that there is a difference in someone being inspired and someone called to act as G-d’s chosen proxy.  Along with this thought, I would add, that if someone cannot recognize and understand the who is inspired of G-d and who the chosen proxy of G-d is – How can we believe that they are actually connected to the “One” true and living G-d.

When we stand before our Maker on the day of judgement, somehow I don't expect that the question we will be asked will be, "Why did you praise, honor, and sustain my prophets?" Rather, I expect the possibility of the opposite, should we fail to do so.

Preface of the hymn book says this: "Know that the song of the righteous is a prayer unto our father in heaven"

This is because hymns, especially sacrament hymns, are about our God and King. The very definition of a hymn is a song, which honors God.  "Praise To The Man" is a hymn extolling a man even though our Savior is mentioned. The very title makes this obvious.

Edited by skalenfehl

Praise to the Man is one of my favorites and I always feel the Spirit when I sing it and my testimony of Joseph Smith as the Prophet of the Restoration is strengthened. Believing that Joseph Smith was called of God and believing that he saw what he saw and did what he said he did  is essential to a testimony of the truth. Singing this hymn invites the Spirit to bear witness to our Spirit that Joseph is who he claimed to be. I am not sure there is a better way to gain a testimony than feeling the Spirit while singing a hymn pertaining to Joseph and the restoration.

Praise to the Man is one of my favorites and I always feel the Spirit when I sing it and my testimony of Joseph Smith as the Prophet of the Restoration is strengthened. Believing that Joseph Smith was called of God and believing that he saw what he saw and did what he said he did is essential to a testimony of the truth. Singing this hymn invites the Spirit to bear witness to our Spirit that Joseph is who he claimed to be. I am not sure there is a better way to gain a testimony than feeling the Spirit while singing a hymn pertaining to Joseph and the restoration.

This. Nicely said.